Ok this is a two-part questions.
First off, when two engines are on one consist back to back, does the second engine essentially go into gear and speed at the exact same time as the lead engine that's providing all the power, or what is actually happening in that case?

Second, does anyone think that GO bus services could one day go to London? If so, what routes or places could they go to on the way there?

4 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Ok this is a two-part questions.
First off, when two engines are on one consist back to back, does the second engine essentially go into gear and speed at the exact same time as the lead engine that's providing all the power, or what is actually happening in that case?

So long as both locos are on-line and connected by MU, both will produce about an equal amount of power to propel the train.

4 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Second, does anyone think that GO bus services could one day go to London? If so, what routes or places could they go to on the way there?

No.

Dan

49 minutes ago, smallspy said:

No.

Dan

It would be because of not wishing to compete with VIA Rail yes?

50 minutes ago, smallspy said:

No.

Dan

I can see them slowly expanding towards London. Could be just rail or both bus and rail connecting smaller communities to London.

They are cutting the bus to Brantford so for now I would say no. 

In order for GO to be more successful in out lying areas they need to look at running smaller equipment. 

The cost for to justify a 12 car GO train makes it difficult to expand into new areas. 

Look at Hamilton, we have a station there but no all day service.  I think there are areas that need service before going to London.

9 hours ago, Shaun said:

They are cutting the bus to Brantford so for now I would say no. 

In order for GO to be more successful in out lying areas they need to look at running smaller equipment. 

The cost for to justify a 12 car GO train makes it difficult to expand into new areas. 

Look at Hamilton, we have a station there but no all day service.  I think there are areas that need service before going to London.

Has the cut to Brantford been confirmed?  I haven't found any reports....

12 hours ago, Chris W said:

It would be because of not wishing to compete with VIA Rail yes?

No. There is no such concern.

12 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

I can see them slowly expanding towards London. Could be just rail or both bus and rail connecting smaller communities to London.

Right now, GO Transit's raison-d'être is to service Toronto and the surrounding GTHA. Brantford fits into that, just barely, by virtue of providing into the commutershed of Hamilton. There is no such justification for service to London.

Should GO's mandate change, than sure, maybe at that point they could start to think about providing service to London.

1 hour ago, sdgta2008 said:

There have no confirmation of any cuts to services yet.

Dan

When bringing up Go and London, I was specifically meaning GO buses.I had felt that GO also (?), would want to, not just the GTHA, but being in the fringes of that area like Kitchener and Brantford are, that go beyond commuters. Students, leisure travel and other reasons for travel too that has it's own market.

Kitchener to London I feel is a strong market that currently served by Greyhound and Coach Canada (?) ( an I missing other carriers?). If GO was to head into that market, would it be with only connections with other current GO services, not the direct travel links which is more for Greyhound.

The ideas I've had for awhile would've been from Aldershot to London ( Fanshawe College or Western Univerdity) via Brantford and Woodstock.

- London (Fanshawe/Western), via Kitchener and Guelph from Aldershot.

- An extension of the GO 15 to Cambridge then to London.

- Kitchener to London.

If Greyhound is more regarded of a carrier that's express and uses the main 400-series highways, Go's bern known where not every route uses a 400-series all the time and could use Reginoal roads.

Would Greyhound and Coach Canada allow GO to go into that market into London as long as there's not an Express component to its routes to connect to other GO services?

I hope I'm making sense as at times I may ramble without getting to the point.

I've been on a couple of Go trains lately and I saw a bunch of fare inspectors on the platform at Union this evening.  When did the badges on their uniforms change to say "Revenue Protection"?

The title kind of says it all about the current provincial government.  A "Revenue Protection" official, professional shakedown squad is something that I could see being expanded to cover more than just Go Transit in purview.

2 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

When bringing up Go and London, I was specifically meaning GO buses.I had felt that GO also (?), would want to, not just the GTHA, but being in the fringes of that area like Kitchener and Brantford are, that go beyond commuters. Students, leisure travel and other reasons for travel too that has it's own market.

Kitchener to London I feel is a strong market that currently served by Greyhound and Coach Canada (?) ( an I missing other carriers?). If GO was to head into that market, would it be with only connections with other current GO services, not the direct travel links which is more for Greyhound.

The ideas I've had for awhile would've been from Aldershot to London ( Fanshawe College or Western Univerdity) via Brantford and Woodstock.

- London (Fanshawe/Western), via Kitchener and Guelph from Aldershot.

- An extension of the GO 15 to Cambridge then to London.

- Kitchener to London.

If Greyhound is more regarded of a carrier that's express and uses the main 400-series highways, Go's bern known where not every route uses a 400-series all the time and could use Reginoal roads.

Would Greyhound and Coach Canada allow GO to go into that market into London as long as there's not an Express component to its routes to connect to other GO services?

Just to nitpick...only Greyhound operates the Toronto-London route

From aldershot-London or even Kitchener to London, you’re probably talking about a 2+ hour bus ride with traffic and making several stops along the way. With no bathrooms on board, that would probably be quite uncomfortable 

14 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Buses or trains, it's irrelevant. GO's mandate is the GTHA and nothing more.

Like I said, should their mandate change, than places further afield can be looked at.

But is it a commuter market? No, it's not.

The fact of the matter is that with very, very, very few exceptions (hint: that exception is Niagara Falls, and there's all sorts of other behind-the-scenes things that go on to enable that) GO is not meant to target the leisure market.

So what? Greyhound also has legislation that enables it to do that run. GO does not.

You make it sound like they're really going to have a say in the matter if it comes up. The fact of the matter is that they don't.

Grey Coach didn't want to give up the Hamilton run, but the Province took it away from them and gave it to GO in 1971. No reason why they couldn't do it again if they really felt so inclined.

Your posts make sense. It's the ideas that are rambling and nonsensical.

13 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I've been on a couple of Go trains lately and I saw a bunch of fare inspectors on the platform at Union this evening.  When did the badges on their uniforms change to say "Revenue Protection"?

The title kind of says it all about the current provincial government.  A "Revenue Protection" official, professional shakedown squad is something that I could see being expanded to cover more than just Go Transit in purview.

It's a bit Kafkaesque, but the description - "Revenue Protection" - isn't entirely incorrect. Their job is to ensure that people pay their fares, and if they don't to issue them a ticket for the pleasure. They're protecting the interests of their bosses.

I think that the change happened this past April.

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

It's a bit Kafkaesque, but the description - "Revenue Protection" - isn't entirely incorrect. Their job is to ensure that people pay their fares, and if they don't to issue them a ticket for the pleasure. They're protecting the interests of their bosses.

I think that the change happened this past April.

Oh I wasn’t arguing that they were mistitled. If anything it’s brutally honest if not blunt to a fault.  I will make a wry observation that Verster happily surrendered $150 million/year of subsidy which means revenue will have to be protected even more now.

I forgot to mention a couple of other Go Transit/Metrolinx thoughts.  I passed through the Hamilton Go a centre a while back after not having been through the place in close to a year and the child proofing program going on there left me dismayed. The flashing LEDs around the stop signs. The endless PA announcements in the station and on the bus itself pleading, imploring people not to walk under moving buses.  The six foot high fence being installed.  That one took the cake. I mean, sure, running fences along the sidewalks so people don’t cut across the roadway is one thing if it’s a reasonable, waist high barrier but they’re putting in these six foot tall fences that are almost as tall as I am that make parts of the place look more like a prison yard than a bus terminal.  That’s excessive, and frankly, I honestly believe that by the time you’re old enough to ride the bus by yourself and definitely by the time you’re an adult, you should know better than to walk into the path of a moving bus.  What are they going to do next? Bundle people up under multiple layers of bubble wrap?

The last part of that journey took me by HSR along a good chunk of the proposed LRT and it was another bone jarring, spine destroying trip down Main St. This was after I got back from Calgary.  I used the LRT to get around town. It’s fast.  It’s smooth.  It’s quiet.  It works.  It works in winter.  It works in winters far more severe than anything you get in southern Ontario especially in the areas moderated by the lake and yet every time I’ve talked to people native to Hamilton about it, it’s been a litany of complaints about how it’ll be too noisy, it won’t work, what about winter blah blah blah, and it blows my mind that there’s still a debate about maybe getting to the point with a slightly more modern take on a starter LRT line by the early to mid-2020s that western Canada got to forty years ago.

I would love to see how these bumpkins that are scared of an updated version of the CTrain and can’t handle walking through a bus terminal without undue risk of getting themselves creamed by a bus who are probably still angry about having to buy a new television set to get CHCH in colour and think the WiFi is something teenagers blast rock ‘n roll records on would crash and burn in a place like Yellowknife where getting run over by the Yellowknife Transit bus on Franklin Avenue is probably one of the least misfortunes that could happen.

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Oh I wasn’t arguing that they were mistitled. If anything it’s brutally honest if not blunt to a fault.  I will make a wry observation that Verster happily surrendered $150 million/year of subsidy which means revenue will have to be protected even more now.

Like I said, it's a bit Kafkaesque. If nothing else, I think we're in agreement on this.

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I forgot to mention a couple of other Go Transit/Metrolinx thoughts.  I passed through the Hamilton Go a centre a while back after not having been through the place in close to a year and the child proofing program going on there left me dismayed. The flashing LEDs around the stop signs. The endless PA announcements in the station and on the bus itself pleading, imploring people not to walk under moving buses.  The six foot high fence being installed.  That one took the cake. I mean, sure, running fences along the sidewalks so people don’t cut across the roadway is one thing if it’s a reasonable, waist high barrier but they’re putting in these six foot tall fences that are almost as tall as I am that make parts of the place look more like a prison yard than a bus terminal.  That’s excessive, and frankly, I honestly believe that by the time you’re old enough to ride the bus by yourself and definitely by the time you’re an adult, you should know better than to walk into the path of a moving bus.  What are they going to do next? Bundle people up under multiple layers of bubble wrap?

There was a rather unfortunate incident several months ago where a woman was run over by a bus, and the driver - employed by GO - charged with careless driving as a result. I won't pretend to know all of the details, because frankly I don't, but what you saw going on at the terminal is a very direct result of that incident.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/elderly-pedestrian-struck-hamilton-go-1.5050252

https://globalnews.ca/news/5085234/bus-driver-charged-after-pedestrian-struck-and-killed-at-hamilton-go-centre/

If this is going to be their response to this kind of incident, than I think if nothing else the public is owed the slightest bit of explanation as to why they are spending this kind of money.

Dan

On 8/6/2019 at 7:18 AM, sdgta2008 said:

There was a report from Steve Munro that GO Transit was going to cut a plethora of bus services which included most of Brantford's runs but that was later debunked by Metrolinx as false. There could be plans for cuts but nothing has been reported, I think OP is speculating.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:16 AM, Wayside Observer said:

That’s excessive, and frankly, I honestly believe that by the time you’re old enough to ride the bus by yourself and definitely by the time you’re an adult, you should know better than to walk into the path of a moving bus.  What are they going to do next? Bundle people up under multiple layers of bubble wrap?

Personally, I can't say that I'm particularly bothered by posters and the like advertising that people should be aware of their surroundings, because after a while you can tune it out (and I usually do).

What I'm way more bothered by is the criminal "use" of the LED interior signs inside the GO buses. This afternoon I was on a bus I ride semi frequently, but I began to nod off and when I woke up I found that the bus was nowhere that I recognized (on diversion, maybe?), and I panicked that I might've accidentally gotten onto the wrong bus or something like that. I wasn't able to verify until a good 15 minutes later that I had, in fact, gotten on the correct bus, because the destination display kept alternating between displaying the next stop (not helpful, because many bus routes in the Mississauga area service this stop), announcing that said stop had been requested, and reminding passengers to report suspicious unattended packages to transit personnel. The name of the route didn't come up until the bus actually serviced the stop. How many times does a captive audience have to be reminded about suspicious packages?!

Has GO ever considered introducing controlled brightness of the lighting on upper levels of trains? I’d have thought that with the quiet zone they’d do something about that because it can be very bright early in the morning. 

On 8/2/2019 at 5:23 AM, Oc4526 said:

Found this tweet with Go Coach 4171 on delivery (seen on Aug 1st) 

I have already seen TTC buses use this to go past traffic. 

With the new Bay terminal downtown, could we see some services operated by the older non superLO DDs? I know the 16 is out of the question due to height restrictions that barely clear superlos for service, but what about elsewhere, like the 21 or the 31 or the east side routes?

On August 8, 2019 at 1:52 PM, smallspy said:

Like I said, it's a bit Kafkaesque. If nothing else, I think we're in agreement on this.

I think we're in agreement too.

At times, it almost seems like Metrolinx is unsure whether they want to operate a regional transportation system or a large police department, now complete with a canine unit, or both.

On August 8, 2019 at 1:52 PM, smallspy said:

There was a rather unfortunate incident several months ago where a woman was run over by a bus, and the driver - employed by GO - charged with careless driving as a result. I won't pretend to know all of the details, because frankly I don't, but what you saw going on at the terminal is a very direct result of that incident.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/elderly-pedestrian-struck-hamilton-go-1.5050252

https://globalnews.ca/news/5085234/bus-driver-charged-after-pedestrian-struck-and-killed-at-hamilton-go-centre/

If this is going to be their response to this kind of incident, than I think if nothing else the public is owed the slightest bit of explanation as to why they are spending this kind of money.

I think there were a couple of incidents at the bus terminal at Union station as well.

With respect to the one in Hamilton, everything that's happened since has been contradictory.  I heard very little about that one but what little I did hear made it sound like it was the pedestrian's fault.  The police laying charges against the bus driver a while afterwards came as a bolt out of the blue after everything that trickled out suggested the blame laid with the pedestrian, but suggest the police thought the bus driver was at fault to the point of meriting being charged.  Whether or not that gets as far as being tried in a courtroom or gets dropped is ultimately up to a crown attorney so it's too early to tell what's going to happen there.  But then, on the other hand, Metrolinx literally fencing in pedestrians to the greatest extent possible with these 6 foot high barriers, the flashing stop signs, the relentless announcements etc, all suggests it was the pedestrian was out of line.  With everything all over the map it's pretty much impossible to say who's to blame and to what extent the driver and the lady bear responsibility.

Looks like the Minister will be making a Metrolinx announcement (or re-announcement?) tomorrow at 8:30 AM.

It's at the UP Platform at Union Station - so not necessarily GO. Though there can't be too many good spots to do announcements during the peak of AM rush hour at Union these days.

With the new GO timetables being released here, and rumours about increased service for the Kitchener line, my guess is that this may be about the new September timetable for the Kitchener line, including more service at Bloor and Weston.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2019/08/minister-of-transportation-to-make-an-announcement-58.html

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

Looks like the Minister will be making a Metrolinx announcement (or re-announcement?) tomorrow at 8:30 AM.

It's at the UP Platform at Union Station - so not necessarily GO. Though there can't be too many good spots to do announcements during the peak of AM rush hour at Union these days.

With the new GO timetables being released here, and rumours about increased service for the Kitchener line, my guess is that this may be about the new September timetable for the Kitchener line, including more service at Bloor and Weston.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2019/08/minister-of-transportation-to-make-an-announcement-58.html

Maybe it's to announce the cut they've made to Metrolinx' operating subsidy because they're "for the people" 😉

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, nfitz said:

It would appear that it was indeed for the service changes.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2019/08/ontario-announces-more-rush-hour-midday-and-evening-service.html

https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/go-service-updates/train-schedule-changes

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1