GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

47 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Could complete .... the 19

If I’m catching on correctly, I’ve never understood the need for so many SuperLos to service the 19. Majority of the trips can make do with an MCI and have ample space left. I ride it every day on a variety of morning and afternoon trips between Keele and sq1. However some trips I know do service other routes afterwards for which I can’t speak for. There must be some logic behind it. 

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

If I’m catching on correctly, I’ve never understood the need for so many SuperLos to service the 19. Majority of the trips can make do with an MCI and have ample space left. I ride it every day on a variety of morning and afternoon trips between Keele and sq1. However some trips I know do service other routes afterwards for which I can’t speak for. There must be some logic behind it. 

Remember that GO buses can stay in service for up to 12 hours. The capacity may not be needed at say 10pm, but the bus could have done a trip from Finch at 5pm picking up the crowd of office workers heading home, when the capacity is definitely required.

Besides, it is typically seen as a better customer initiative to offer more space for customers rather than trying to cram them into a smaller vehicle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Don't the DDs use less fuel than the MCIs? So they try to put them on as many routes as possible.

An enviro is 52 000 lbs loaded, a D4500 is 48 000. Also add to that the extra wind resistance, I’m not so sure the double decker will consume less fuel per passenger unless every single seat has a butt in it. Certainly high school physics dictates that the heavier bus, with a larger surface area for wind resistance to act upon will consume more energy for the same unit of distance travelled, passenger occupancy taken out of the equation.

• Like 5

GO Transit is going the way of most other GTA agencies by adding stop IDs to GO Bus stops across the network to create a Where's My Bus program.  All of the IDs are available on GO's Find a Station/Stop page.   Text 88846 or call 1-888-GET-ON-GO (438-6646) and enter your stop ID.  You'll then get the departure times for the next three buses or for all buses serving your stop within the next 30 minutes.

Now, how long before a real-time bus tracker is available?  Yesterday's storm would have thrown the schedule out the window.

9 hours ago, Gil said:

GO Transit is going the way of most other GTA agencies by adding stop IDs to GO Bus stops across the network to create a Where's My Bus program.  All of the IDs are available on GO's Find a Station/Stop page.   Text 88846 or call 1-888-GET-ON-GO (438-6646) and enter your stop ID.  You'll then get the departure times for the next three buses or for all buses serving your stop within the next 30 minutes.

Through Text or phone call - but not on the Internet? How bizarre.

Though I've noticed that one of the transit apps on my Android does report on GO Buses in realtime. The app is (unfortunately) named Transit from transitapp.com

On 1/30/2019 at 6:16 AM, nfitz said:

Though I've noticed that one of the transit apps on my Android does report on GO Buses in realtime. The app is (unfortunately) named Transit from transitapp.com

Transit does real-time with the help of users of the app. When you use the GO feature and set your destination, it'll show your real time data to other app users, even if the buses/trains themselves don't have real-time GPS data.

1 hour ago, Stormscape said:

Transit does real-time with the help of users of the app. When you use the GO feature and set your destination, it'll show your real time data to other app users, even if the buses/trains themselves don't have real-time GPS data.

That’s actually incorrect in terms of GO Transit, but is true of others

GO does provide the info to Transit App.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

That’s actually incorrect in terms of GO Transit, but is true of others

GO does provide the info to Transit App.

I'd assume GO provides it somehow, given I was sitting in the Yorkdale GO terminal, watching the virtually identical timings on both the app and the screens in the station.

Either that or GO is somehow crowd-sourcing it's own data ... which would be very impressive given how few people were on my bus when it arrived!

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'd assume GO provides it somehow, given I was sitting in the Yorkdale GO terminal, watching the virtually identical timings on both the app and the screens in the station.

Either that or GO is somehow crowd-sourcing it's own data ... which would be very impressive given how few people were on my bus when it arrived!

Transit has been known to scrape the data from internal sources, this has happened most recently with Durham Region Transit.

DRT Hasn’t officially released the data, however they are working on it, Transit found wherever it was DRT housed the feed, and put it in the app

that may be what happened here.

Installed the app and sniffed packets to find where it gets the data. :‬|

And yes there's a delay of about a minute compared to what you'd see in the app, since the server checks the feed every 40 seconds at most and the page gets it from there twice a minute.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, nfitz said:

One of the things that got lost in with the website redesign was the platform listing at stations and terminals.  It would have been better if they also included a map of the platforms to familiarize riders with the layout.  The Where's My Bus program apparently only has a single identifier for a station (at least for the ones they've already listed).  Granted, not every platform at all stations/terminals are currently used (some are just drop-off), but you'd think they'd at least group some routes together to an ID so you're not listening a long recording off ALL the routes!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sid said:

Installed the app and sniffed packets to find where it gets the data. :‬|

And yes there's a delay of about a minute compared to what you'd see in the app, since the server checks the feed every 40 seconds at most and the page gets it from there twice a minute.

I was referring to the fact that some routes from some agencies don’t exist anymore

On 2/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, Gil said:

The Where's My Bus program apparently only has a single identifier for a station (at least for the ones they've already listed).  Granted, not every platform at all stations/terminals are currently used (some are just drop-off), but you'd think they'd at least group some routes together to an ID so you're not listening a long recording off ALL the routes!

Grouping routes together with a different stop number would require a major change to the stop numbers in Hastus, which are also used for CAD/AVL, GTFS and now the real-time data. I can't see this happening anytime soon if ever, as one number per location has worked well for a really long time. Square One is the only exception that I can think of to this, as the west side and east side both have their own unique numbers; there could be a few others also.

16 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Well, jeez, back in the late 90s and early 2000s, NJ Transit used to truck a then fifty year old PCC car from the 7 City Subway to their Try Transit event so that makes a four year old Go bus look practically brand new.  I'm glad someone took those avocado toast munching doorknobs that write for BlogTO to task for that smarmy remark comparing the bus' DEF tank capacity to the gas tank on a Cadillac.  A more impressive, and more honest apples to apples, comparison would be to compare the two fuel tanks and see how much diesel the bus can carry except the problem with BlogTO is it's written by and for a crowd that's totally frappuccino.

Anyways, I had a nice easy drive to the train station, the garage was practically empty and the Go train itself was nice and light this morning.  I bet the weather forecast scared a lot of people and caused a lot of 'work from home' this morning.