CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! It is unavailable to edit while we sort out character encoding issues for our French pages. Please report any other issues here.

26 minutes ago, jordankcw said:

TTC and York Region Buses, York U knew a decent amount of their students commute via GO Transit so they didn't say anything about wanting GO Buses out, just GO Transit played with the idea because of the subway opening plus they want to see if getting rid of York U Service was viable.

It was stated at a TTC meeting before construction started by a representative of York that the University wanted all buses off their land once the line open. Mayor Miller sat on the commission at that time and confirm that was TTC plan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drum118 said:

It was stated at a TTC meeting before construction started by a representative of York that the University wanted all buses off their land once the line open. Mayor Miller sat on the commission at that time and confirm that was TTC plan.

and York Students weren't too fond of the idea of GO Buses not serving York, due to the added commute time and extra transfers.

11 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I thought York wanted buses gone once the subway opened? Or was that supposed to be just TTC ones?

York wants all buses out of the Commons, even their own shuttles. And they'd prefer to have all buses off of their property, although they realize that may be a bit harder to accomplish.

Dan

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jordankcw said:

You definitely are missing something, you forget the additional time you have to spent walking down to the 407 Stn platform, wait for a train, take the train two stops, walk back up to the York U Stn entrance then walk to the building where your classes are, plus the infrastructure is still there for a bus loop. A terrible comparison between York and Ryerson considering there is a bus loop at York where as there isn't one for Ryerson plus the walk between Union and Ryerson is actually a quicker walk than say a walk from Pioneer Village to the bus loop at York U.

There's also the problem of trying to get to class on time which means a student have to leave earlier if GO Buses won't serve York U and there's the fact of an extra $1.50 per trip ($3 a day round trip) that the students would have to pay if they don't want to or don't have the time to walk from 407 station (around a 40 minute walk according to Google).

I confess my only travel to York near peak has been on the Transitway or on the GO Train; and I haven't driven on Jane in peak. But it's taken me about 30 minutes before in AM peak just to drive from 407 to Steeles on Keele! As such, I'm not convinced that there'd be additional time!

I thought one of the assumptions and justifications for the subway expansion, is that they could decommission the bus loop!

If York get's U-Pass as discussed, there'd be no additional charges for York students using Go Transit (or YRT or BiWay) to take TTC a couple of stops first.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

I confess my only travel to York near peak has been on the Transitway or on the GO Train; and I haven't driven on Jane in peak. But it's taken me about 30 minutes before in AM peak just to drive from 407 to Steeles on Keele! As such, I'm not convinced that there'd be additional time!

I thought one of the assumptions and justifications for the subway expansion, is that they could decommission the bus loop!

If York get's U-Pass as discussed, there'd be no additional charges for York students using Go Transit (or YRT or BiWay) to take TTC a couple of stops first.

That would alleviate the cost issue, but there'd still be a decent amount of them clamouring for service to still go into York U just for the commute time savings. 

4 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

If my memory serves correctly, I saw 8407 at USBT on Friday. 

We have a thread dedicated to GO bus deliveries over in the Sightings subforum... these posts should probably go there instead.

(And btw, 8410 is in service.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Neoupa2002 said:

Does anyone know the fate of the non-low height Enviro500 series? Soda cans or sold off to other agencies?

The 80xx's are supposed to be scrapped,  they're currently being stored.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Will GO consider the Silverliner V for its electric service?

Let's worry about getting the wires strung up first before we worry about equipment to run underneath them.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

Let's worry about getting the wires strung up first before we worry about equipment to run underneath them.

Dan

Not to mention that Rotem will need a new place to make them since they just announced their plant in Philadelphia is to close. Nippon Sharyo closing their Illinois facility too.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/hyundai-rotem-closing-philadelphia-plant/

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/08/14-nippon-sharyo-closing-northern-illinois-railcar-plant

2 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Any reason why can ar has been using some bus bays at USBT? Saw it last week and again today while at work. Always around midday when there’s no bus rush. 

Can-Ar runs two cross-country routes out of there, IIRC one heads north to Lindsay and Haliburton County and the other heads northwest towards Kincardine.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Any reason why can ar has been using some bus bays at USBT? Saw it last week and again today while at work. Always around midday when there’s no bus rush. 

Can-ar runs scheduled services to and from Toronto. They used to use the Toronto Coach Terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are Metrolinx' plans for the Canpa sub? They are certainly doing a whole bunch of work, including fencing, the Horner and Evans level crossings, and now trackwork (out at 6:15 AM this morning). I assume that all this is preparing for fairly intensive use of the sub, which hasn't been the case recently.

I tried a search but didn't find anything useful, other than it could be used to 'reroute Milton trains'. I'm not sure why or how that would be done.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

What are Metrolinx' plans for the Canpa sub? They are certainly doing a whole bunch of work, including fencing, the Horner and Evans level crossings, and now trackwork (out at 6:15 AM this morning). I assume that all this is preparing for fairly intensive use of the sub, which hasn't been the case recently.

I tried a search but didn't find anything useful, other than it could be used to 'reroute Milton trains'. I'm not sure why or how that would be done.

GO already uses the Canpa Sub on a regular basis to pick up new cars that get dropped off by CP.

But I think the answer that you are looking for pertains more towards service. And yes, there are plans to run some service on the Canpa Sub in the near future. Lakeshore West trains for a couple of weekends will get rerouted that way while they remove the Jameson/Dunn/Dowling bridges. The original plans that I had been made aware of called for it to be in the summer, but now it seems like its been pushed back to the fall.

There is still some work to be done on the Canpa, however. While the track and ballast has been overhauled, and new crossing circuits installed at all of the level crossings, signals still need to be installed and connected before service trains will run on it.

Dan

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2018 at 12:20 PM, Token Dispenser said:

Just noticed on the DDs how some of them on the upper deck have tape over the vents, or have tissue covering them. What is the reason for this?
Is the AC system not strong enough?

It's because the A/C is blowing cold air non-stop and passengers under it want to block it.

It's a poor design.

Could possibly be off topic but I've noticed some construction going on for the past month at the Fairview Mall bus terminal in St. Catharines including an enlarged concrete pad and new electrical supply. Does anyone know if this is related to GO Transit? Possibly a PRESTO Self Serve machine? I feel like it probably isn't STC related as they've already got their own departure display there. Would be a great way to cut down on the amount of people paying cash for the 12 bus if it is a PRESTO machine.