GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

3 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Converting GO's locos to hydrogen-electric power might be revolutionary. Alstom's new iLint HEMU might be a good example, despite their capacity obviously too low for GO's needs.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/hydrogen-train-alstom-testing

Hydrogen has so far only been used in lighter rail applications such as trams, the Alstom iLint that you mentioned, and a select number of experimental shunting locomotives. You would need a lot of fuel cells to power a 12 car bi-level train, and a lot of volatile H2 gas to power them.

Electrification is a far better, safer, and proven alternative than any Hydrogen technology currently on the market, especially given GO's needs. These politicians need to just focus on electrification, and not waste money on studies pondering risky alternatives.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:06 PM, dowlingm said:

If MBTA doesn't figure out a way out of their power crisis soon, a lease of some 59s to operate out of Boston North could earn Metrolinx a few bucks (no ACSES and wire height issues means no South Station operations)

MBTA wants to repair some of the OOS F40's that they have stored

If only MPI designed its locomotives to support a conversion to electric power (similar to the Nippon Sharyo DMUs on the UPX), then that'd save a lot of dough from the provincial government, who could then spend its money on expanding GO's infrastructure over purchasing new equipment. The fact that the locomotives are diesel-electric rather than diesel-hydraulic or mechanical should make conversion much easier, similar to the Hitachi Class 800 dual-mode trains, which could be converted to Class 801 electric-only by simply removing the underfloor diesel engines. In this case, all MPI would need to do is substitute electrical transformers for the diesel generators, add a pantograph, and poof!

20 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

MBTA wants to repair some of the OOS F40's that they have stored

Judging by recent posts on railroad.net they may have found a rebuilder that won't make a balls of it, but we shall see!

As for the MP40s, I suspect they will follow their F59 cousins into the resale market rather than Metrolinx trusting that MPI can figure out how to make an e-loco. We don't even know yet if they can make an MP54 with AC traction!

15 hours ago, Transit geek said:

If only MPI designed its locomotives to support a conversion to electric power (similar to the Nippon Sharyo DMUs on the UPX), then that'd save a lot of dough from the provincial government, who could then spend its money on expanding GO's infrastructure over purchasing new equipment. The fact that the locomotives are diesel-electric rather than diesel-hydraulic or mechanical should make conversion much easier, similar to the Hitachi Class 800 dual-mode trains, which could be converted to Class 801 electric-only by simply removing the underfloor diesel engines. In this case, all MPI would need to do is substitute electrical transformers for the diesel generators, add a pantograph, and poof!

No one makes locomotives that are "upgradeable" in the manner that you suggest. It would be a pretty silly thing to do so, as the requirements for each are quite different.

Even for self-propelled units, doing so can be fraught with trouble. Because of its complexity the IEP project is well behind schedule, and although it looks like the units are testing well, they haven't even entered revenue service yet. There were concerns that the Class 802 units - which are supposedly the same as 800s, but with larger fuel tanks and more-powerful engines - were going to be overweight for some of the services that they were intended to run, but it looks like Hitachi was able to sort that out.

Of course, the biggest issue with a dual-mode unit is that you're always dragging around half of the material with no benefit. Diesels aren't being used under wire, so they're just taking up weight and space and are along for the ride. The converse goes for all of the electrical equipment necessary to convert the 25kV overhead power (or lower voltages, when talking about some of the dual-modes on the mainland) to your various onboard voltages when running on the diesels.

15 hours ago, dowlingm said:

We don't even know yet if they can make an MP54 with AC traction!

And you're basing this on your vast knowledge of locomotive engineering, Mark?

Dan

4 hours ago, smallspy said:

And you're basing this on your vast knowledge of locomotive engineering, Mark?

Dan

I'm basing "we don't know if" on two things Dan

1. No MP54AC has been delivered yet to any customer. 

2. Every single pic I've seen of 647, an MP40 has been in the consist, which might be coincidence but doesn't scream confidence in the DC version.

I assume you based your post on your inability to just let a ball go past every once in a while without swinging at it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I'm basing "we don't know if" on two things Dan

1. No MP54AC has been delivered yet to any customer. 

2. Every single pic I've seen of 647, an MP40 has been in the consist, which might be coincidence but doesn't scream confidence in the DC version.

I assume you based your post on your inability to just let a ball go past every once in a while without swinging at it.

1. You are correct. No MP54AC has been delivered to any customer. So? The form of traction used doesn't make much of a difference in the matter in this case - they've built at least 69 locos to date with AC traction. In the grand scheme of things, the traction system isn't the complex part of the MP54AC - it's co-ordinating the dual motors. That's what the point of 647 is at this point.

2. It has run in service on its own many times. It was running in service on its own for about 2 or 3 weeks prior to suffering a major component failure in February. As it's now been in service again for almost a month, I suspect that they will be letting it go on its own again soon.

If you're going to lob up softballs....

Dan

5 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Steven Del Duca also mentioned in his press conference that it would support Coach busses but also municipal transit in toronto

I suspect the municipal transit comment is because it's designed to leave space in the future for additional/extended platforms along the Bay Street streetcar connection to Union.

12 minutes ago, Transit 20 said:

the double decker that crashed at charles street terminal last night was 8199 pictures on the bottom there was injuries.

19437445_10155347215440120_6326287155990087706_n.jpg

19511033_10155347207095120_3054979392489357265_n.jpg

001.JPG

Wasn't there another accident with a DD a month or so ago at the same location? What's the deal with that terminal? Perhaps GO needs to rethink allowing DD's in there!

Will be surprise to see any buses use Renforth Terminal before Nov. No elevators install nor is the station ready for them. Getting ready to pour the floor slab for the main entrance as well the station driveway. Most of the curbs have been pour with section still missing for the rest of the ramps and driveway. Will be pave closer to the opening. No off ramp from Eglinton to the terminal as yet and the eastbound has been built, but still needs a lot of work.

The concrete has been pour for the east turn around and layover bays. All kinds of handrail to be install along the edges of the station and the Transitway.

35440433651_2ae1f68f30_k.jpg35440421641_d78de552a3_k.jpg35531884236_f74c55536c_k.jpg35531881896_de04696cab_k.jpg35531877436_3abee521e8_k.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Token Dispenser said:

why do most of the DDS's have consistent damage to the metal plate sitting under neath the entrance door? I've seen a bus with it completely ripped off.

is it just drivers not being aware how low they are?

If Alexander Dennis builds their buses like the North American manufacturers do - a bit of a leap of faith, I admit - than that plate and the one on the underside of the ramp is sacrificial and designed to be easily replaced precisely because of this kind of situation.

Dan