GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

So I'm confused. The 2815-class is currently being delivered, it seems at a rate of one every six weeks; the latest to go in service last week was 2825 (the 11th of 50). There are likely a few 5A cars (2558+) also in this order and I'm not sure if the few "new-look" cab cars coming from Mexico via New York are part of the 50. If the next 65 cars starts arriving in June 2016 will it take to May 2016 to deliver the 50-car 2815-class order?

Are there issues with the new Tier-4 locomotives? Twice, at least, 657 has been pulled from a two-unit set and gone back to the shop. Are 658 and 659 still at TMC?

GO seems to do fine running 30 minute bi-directional service right now on the Bala Sub.

I may be slightly biased here, but I'm surprised that the Stouffville line is 4-5 years into the future. GO owns 100% of the trackage the line runs on, there's no freight service to compete with, and the line is already fully signalled with a brand new passing siding south of Unionville. I think GO is looking to completely double-track the portion from Scarborough to Unionville however, which will allow proper counter-peak service (the one passing siding will only allow hourly bi-directional service).

GO is currently doing an EA for all this. See http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/environmentalassessments.aspx for details.

Also, hourly bi-directional servcie is (I believe) all that's promised in the The Big Move.

http://stevemunro.ca...Jan-13-2014.pdf

Timelines for the implementation of all day train service outside lakeshore:

Richmond Hill -2016

Stouffville - 2018

Barrie - 2019

Milton - 2021

Kitchener - 2023

So what will they do with the Union Bus Terminal?

It's possible TWAD will partially happen before the last year of expenditure.

Sell it to a developer for condos, what else ;)

If a new intercity bus terminal for Greyhound, etc hasn't yet been built, it might make sense leasing or turning it over to them for intercity bus use due to the proximity of the Gardiner (if it's still standing) and Union Station.

Others have pointed out the capacity issues; also a terminal by the 401 and 400 is far more convinient for Greyhound et al.

According to WIKI it says the MP40PH is cable of doing 108MPH. But if i remember correctly the Bi-level coaches are only raited for 90mph? Do they ever reach those speeds on the lakeshore line?

The express trains from Union to Pickering can hit that on the stretch around Guildwood (track sped limit there is 95mph). I've timed it using the distance posts, and seen them do 2km in around 75 seconds (150km/hr). It does require a good run (with train ahead running to time, so no signal checks).

So I'm confused. The 2815-class is currently being delivered, it seems at a rate of one every six weeks; the latest to go in service last week was 2825 (the 11th of 50). There are likely a few 5A cars (2558+) also in this order and I'm not sure if the few "new-look" cab cars coming from Mexico via New York are part of the 50. If the next 65 cars starts arriving in June 2016 will it take to May 2016 to deliver the 50-car 2815-class order?

There are currently three passenger car orders currently outstanding.

- May 25/12 - 60 Crash Energy Management cab cars

- March 6/13 - 28 more coaches (2 of them are accessible coaches). 2 of the new CEM cab cars are to be delivered with this batch, but are not included in the 28. This is the order currently being delivered: 2815-40 and 2553-54.

- January 24/14 - 65 cars.

Are there issues with the new Tier-4 locomotives? Twice, at least, 657 has been pulled from a two-unit set and gone back to the shop. Are 658 and 659 still at TMC?

657 is not a Tier-4 loco. None of the Tier-4 locos have been delivered yet. All of the locos in this order are certified for Tier-3, but are otherwise identical to the existing 57 units.

Dan

7 new GO double deckers are parked at MTB in Milton, including: 8129, 8130, 8132, 8135, 8138, and 8148. It appears like they're undergoing some modifications, potentially to accommodate bike racks, as some of the units had parts of the front panels removed, while 8129 has a standard bike rack fitted.

8148-140131.jpg

DSC09866.jpg

7 new GO double deckers are parked at MTB in Milton, including: 8129, 8130, 8132, 8135, 8138, and 8148. It appears like they're undergoing some modifications, potentially to accommodate bike racks, as some of the units had parts of the front panels removed, while 8129 has a standard bike rack fitted.

PDI work mostly. There's been modification previously but not as much when the 80XX series did.

• 2 weeks later...

The rear being wrapped would have looked better. I believe that is a rear dest sign

Yes, it's a rear destination sign.

what's that red thing on the rim? it looks so ugly

Red 'dog collar' is for retorquing wheel requirement after certain km's.

Will GO Transit eventually build a real bus station in St Catherines? I bet it's cold in the winter to wait at that bus stop by the mall. Even worse trying to let off a wheel chair passenger.

I would imagine that's more up to St. Catharines Transit and the mall owners than GO. Unfortunately the main bus terminal downtown is pretty far away from the QEW, otherwise they'd probably use that. If I remember correctly, the VIA station is also a fair distance away. I was hoping they would do something about the GO bus stop at Barton and Nash as well, though my assumption is that they're just going to leave it until Centennial station is built at which point they will move the bus stop to it.

Will GO Transit eventually build a real bus station in St Catherines? I bet it's cold in the winter to wait at that bus stop by the mall. Even worse trying to let off a wheel chair passenger.

Given that at many existing train stations, that after the last train leaves for downtown in the AM, they lock the door, and let those using the 3-4 GO Buses an hour stand in the cold rain stuffed in the small shelters ... no probably not.

More specifically, it helps prevent the nuts from coming loose over time.

Dan

more to make recently removed wheels obvious, and backing off nuts even more so.

The white 'lug lock' covers were supposed to lock them in place after, but the reasoning behind them is dubious.

Given that at many existing train stations, that after the last train leaves for downtown in the AM, they lock the door, and let those using the 3-4 GO Buses an hour stand in the cold rain stuffed in the small shelters ... no probably not.

Meadowvale Go is a good example of that. The station is only open for 4 hours in AM, but there are buses every 20-30 minutes. Routes 21,27 and 48. Also that Miway only runs local buses to the station that match the train schedule. It really is a waste having a building that your not willing to staff.

If you need Go customer service west of Hurontario you have to go to Square One or Bramalea none of these stations are open except lakeshore line. They may as well have just put a portable on the sites and saved the costs.

Meadowvale Go is a good example of that.

Lol, that was the one I was thinking about ... standing at just above the freezing mark, in windy conditions and a torrential downpour, with buses arriving much more than once every 20 minutes. I stood there about 20 minutes, and saw about 5 buses come and go, between the Union service, the Square one service, and one I think was heading to Finch ... and buses going the opposite direction too ...

I was really surprised that at least part of the building waiting room wasn't open - especially given the tunnel under the tracks was open, which I'd think would be much more a security issue.