GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

That train hit a piece of metal on the tracks between Ajax and Whitby, damaging the brake line and the fuel tank. Loco was therefore shit down, so no heat (temperatures were about -5C outside). Fuel leak must have been minor, as fire crews were called to the scene (it's right by the 401) as a precautionary measure, but subsequently went away. The train stopped at 11:30pm, but passengers weren't decanted onto another train until after 3:30am (!!!). They were taken back to Ajax, arriving there about 4am. Buses then took them to Whitby, Oshawa, and points east. GO did not pay for taxis for stranded passengers.

I've no idea why it took four hours for a rescue train to show up, nor why passengers couldn't be transfered to buses (there was a alane of the 401 closed for the fire trucks). Anybody any ideas?

That train hit a piece of metal on the tracks between Ajax and Whitby, damaging the brake line and the fuel tank. Loco was therefore shit down, so no heat (temperatures were about -5C outside). Fuel leak must have been minor, as fire crews were called to the scene (it's right by the 401) as a precautionary measure, but subsequently went away. The train stopped at 11:30pm, but passengers weren't decanted onto another train until after 3:30am (!!!). They were taken back to Ajax, arriving there about 4am. Buses then took them to Whitby, Oshawa, and points east. GO did not pay for taxis for stranded passengers.

I've no idea why it took four hours for a rescue train to show up, nor why passengers couldn't be transfered to buses (there was a alane of the 401 closed for the fire trucks). Anybody any ideas?

GO ops should have emergency plans for these types of events, should they not? Imagine if it had been during the cold snap we're facing tonight! There would have been a lot more ruckus about it, those are dangerous temperatures to be leaving people on an unheated train for 4 hours.

GO ops should have emergency plans for these types of events, should they not? Imagine if it had been during the cold snap we're facing tonight! There would have been a lot more ruckus about it, those are dangerous temperatures to be leaving people on an unheated train for 4 hours.

Yes, indeed - they *should* have such plans. Clearly they either didn't have such plans, or didn't put them into action.

Imagine not only the cold...actually, forget the cold,but if someone had a serious medical condition like Type 1 or 2 Diabetes and is about to go into a low. I know what they feel like and solid sugar tablets can only hold for 20 minutes. Having to not be able to leave the train until the fire investigation is completed is well, outdated. Is it a law that someone or more people must stay at a scene of that kind of a situation for a GO train and remain on board and to not leave until such investigation or cleanup is complete??

Yes, indeed - they *should* have such plans. Clearly they either didn't have such plans, or didn't put them into action.

Even more surprising when you consider Greg Percy is the former VP-Ops.

I was on a train during the first snow storm where there was a frozen switch and we waited for over an hour until they decided to backup. Meanwhile two trains had passed us on another track. And a CN Freight was blocking the way to backup making things even worse. In the end it took 3.5 hours to get from Hamilton to Toronto, and the QEW bus was cancelled (First i ever heard of that happening).

Ridiculous. Even considering the fact that they probably had to inspect the entire train, in 4 hours they should have been able to send out a rescue train, or at least a new loco to drag the cars to the nearest station so passengers could find other means of getting home. CN can order a crew for a freight and get a crew change done in less time, why can't the morons at GO send out a rescue train for a train loaded with passengers...

Ridiculous. Even considering the fact that they probably had to inspect the entire train, in 4 hours they should have been able to send out a rescue train, or at least a new loco to drag the cars to the nearest station so passengers could find other means of getting home. CN can order a crew for a freight and get a crew change done in less time, why can't the morons at GO send out a rescue train for a train loaded with passengers...

Agreed, thats absolutely absurd. I'd be demanding some kind of refund for that (and probably not get it, and be more furious).

how come the bus signed up as route 46 instead of 25?

Dafaq??

This 25 and 25C is part of Streetsville crew to cover. Kitchener garage right now are still MCI.

Some Oshawa trips are using DD on the 52, 81 and 90 because of the drivers crew depending where they cover. Peterborough is all DD.

8118 was the first double decker in service on route 25. It did the 25 from Square One (0710) to U Waterloo (0850) and then the 25C from U Waterloo (0935) to Square One (1045). No other double deckers were running on the 25 today.

8104 and 08 were also ran on Sunday.

That front looks really bare, I think they should have painted the panel around the headlights green as well. Either that or a more visually pleasing one would be to paint the whole front green while leaving the "GO" letters white and the panels around the headlights white as well. I prefer the second, anybody care to photoshop what that would look like?

From looking at the rear shot, the top shade of green suddenly stops at the rear windows, yet on the MCIs it continues around the grilles with the white space where the GO logo and fleet numbers in the same spot. I do agree though that it looks better on the Double Deckers.

Does anybody know how many are in Canada at this moment and will they be fitted with the iNiT screens?