Dixie was only slightly affected. The main issue is apparently with the bridges over Cooksville Creek.

In any case, it doesn't seem like it wasn't hugely damaged. The line will reopen tomorrow.

Dan

Maybe, but I heard today's Amtrak got delayed.... something about needing to power-wash the foam from the interior of one of the cars :lol:

Maybe, but I heard today's Amtrak got delayed.... something about needing to power-wash the foam from the interior of one of the cars :lol:

Funny. I heard it was on the outside, not inside.

Dan

Toronto, Ont.

Funny. I heard it was on the outside, not inside.

Dan

Toronto, Ont.

Easy for someone on the inside looking out to say.

:P

Shuttle buses were running between Port Credit and Long Branch during rush hour from GO buses and MiWay. And yes, there were few 81XX Enviro 500 were running too. Midday was running between Port Credit and Union Stn.

when will the shuttle buses run until? Thx

Any idea if the equipment (especially the locomotive) train caught in the flood is salvagable. The Jan 2006 edition of Trains Magazine had an article about what it takes to dry out a diesel locomotive that has been siiting in water. IIRC, this article said that if water rises above a diesel locomotive's frame, depending on the water, the time it could sit in water was measured in hours before the unit could be written off; even a brand new unit. I'll have to dig up that magazine to find out.

Unless I misunderstand your question . . . . . the Lakeshore West line was fully restored to service from the start of operations yesterday (Wednesday).

Tuesday.

Any idea if the equipment (especially the locomotive) train caught in the flood is salvagable. The Jan 2006 edition of Trains Magazine had an article about what it takes to dry out a diesel locomotive that has been siiting in water. IIRC, this article said that if water rises above a diesel locomotive's frame, depending on the water, the time it could sit in water was measured in hours before the unit could be written off; even a brand new unit. I'll have to dig up that magazine to find out.

First off, the guys who write for Trains are usually not particularly well versed in the actual operations or maintenance of a diesel locomotive. If the water gets too high it can cause problems, but a new loco immersed in water to the block will be fixed up and restored. Even a loco that is a couple of years old, provided it is of fairly modern build, will not suffer so much damage as to be scrap.

Second, the loco will be back in service today. It needed new combos (traction motors, gearboxes and axles), and new brake cylinders, but nothing beyond that. The coaches, on the other hand, will need all of the flooring, wall panels and seating removed from their lower levels and replaced. They will need all new axles, and brake equipment. They will be out of service for a while, but they will be back.

Dan

I saw a double-ended-locomotive train with 560 at the west end at Union this morning. Interestingly, the westernmost bilevel was not a cab car. In the past, I think I've seen a cab car at the west end, even if there was a locomotive there.

If it just hit and miss whether they put a cab car on these double-ended loco trains?

There's at least one double-ended trainset running without a cab car at the west end. Interestingly there are also trainsets out there with cab cars right behind the locomotive at the east end. There are at least two of the double-ended consists regularly in service that turn up on the Lakeshore line. I think there's one that's dedicated to the Barrie line but I'm not certain.

The submersible coaches were all parked at the north side of the main service building at Willowbrook yesterday. I don't know the full consist details, but from what I could see in photos posted online at least two of the cars were 2400 series coaches which are due for refurbishing anyway, and at least two were 2700s. The cab car was fairly new (252). There was one each of the 2000 and 2100 series.

There's at least one double-ended trainset running without a cab car at the west end. Interestingly there are also trainsets out there with cab cars right behind the locomotive at the east end. There are at least two of the double-ended consists regularly in service that turn up on the Lakeshore line. I think there's one that's dedicated to the Barrie line but I'm not certain.

There are currently three trainsets with locos at both ends, two of which are scheduled on the Barrie Line. Of those, one of those two (the first one) will also deadhead out to Oshawa and run back as an express every morning.

Dan

The submersible coaches were all parked at the north side of the main service building at Willowbrook yesterday. I don't know the full consist details, but from what I could see in photos posted online at least two of the cars were 2400 series coaches which are due for refurbishing anyway, and at least two were 2700s. The cab car was fairly new (252). There was one each of the 2000 and 2100 series.

So far I've seen 252, 2526, 2403 and 605 in various media photos. I'm sure someone with some time would be able to sift through all the footage available and pick out others, if there wasn't already a list floating around somewhere.

The news footage of the shuttle service had GO and MiWay (MiExpress and MiLocal) buses running between Port Credit and Long Branch. There was however one light blue bus in use that I couldn't identify from the clip. It only showed part of the front door which was light blue. I can't find the clip from CTV anymore, but the only agencies with that colour livery would be YRT's VIVA or the GTAA's LINK buses.

Although I don't think a lousy $8 or whatever fare will go far to making amends for being stranded on a flooded GO train for 5+ hours, this situation is exactly the type that GO should issue refunds for to build some goodwill, policy or not.

You called it.

http://www.citynews....ood-passengers/

GO Transit offers $100 to flood passengers

07/11/2013 07:44 AMErin Criger

GO Transit is offering a $100 credit to passengers who were trapped on a train for seven hours during Monday’s record-setting rain storm.

About 1,500 passengers were onboard the 5:30 p.m. GO Train from Union to Richmond Hill train when it became stranded in a flash flood at Bayview Avenue and Pottery Road.

They weren’t rescued until Tuesday morning. Six people sustained minor injuries, police said.

“If you were a passenger on this train, we are sincerely sorry for the experience that you endured,” GO said in a statement.

“As a gesture of our appreciation, we will be issuing a $100 credit to your Presto card to cover any dry cleaning or out of pocket expenses you had as a result of this event. “

GO said the credit would be uploaded by Friday.

Passengers who use paper tickets can bring their ticket to Union Station or any station on the Richmond Hill line to receive a Presto card loaded with $100.

Go Transit said the storm left portions of track “completely under water” on its Milton, Richmond Hill and Lakeshore West lines and advised passengers to seek alternative ways to travel Tuesday morning.

By Wednesday morning, Toronto Hydro had restored power to all but 170 customers. At the peak of the storm, 300,000 customers were without power after more than 126 millimetres of rain fell in about an hour.

--------------------------

Is Go Transit's $100 compensation enough after Monday's storm?

Yes 59.73%

No 36.23%

Other 4%

Pop your collar, good sir.

Personally I don't think $100 is really sufficient for 6+ hours on a flooded train.

Worst case scenario for the coaches is that everything on the lower deck has to be stripped out and replaced. The time-consuming parts would be electrical and the interior plastic panels (unless they have spares in stock, which would surprise me). The bogies may need disassembling, cleaning out and reassembling, but the main issues there relate to the suspension details. (If it were simply leaf springs, it would be simple. If there are hydraulic dampeners, it would be complicated).

If the suspension bits are sealed, so oil or air can't leak out, how's water gonna get in?

Same for axle bearings. Their grease is sealed in.

Someone passed on a tidbit that according to a few GO employees, at least one loco and one bilevel have been painted into the new Metrolinx scheme seen on GO bus 2328. Repaints happening at CRCR south of Willowbrook.

If the suspension bits are sealed, so oil or air can't leak out, how's water gonna get in?

Same for axle bearings. Their grease is sealed in.

They aren't, actually.

The seals are designed to keep oil/grease in, and things like dust and a wee bit of water out. Submerging them in water, however, is the quickest way to destroy them - they simply aren't designed to handle those kinds of pressures.

As well as having all of the interior fittings replaced on the lower (and maybe intermediate) levels, every single car is also going to need to have all axles replaced, all brake cylinders, valves and sensors ripped out, and some electrical wiring replaced.

Dan

Anyone apply and take the STRADA test and heard back from Go transit yet on going to the next step in the hiring process ?

Someone passed on a tidbit that according to a few GO employees, at least one loco and one bilevel have been painted into the new Metrolinx scheme seen on GO bus 2328. Repaints happening at CRCR south of Willowbrook.

Our worst fear has been realized, this is going to be one pleasant eyesore...

Okay, what's with the paint scheme on 607 and that coach? It's no where near April 1......

What, this thing? ;)

http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=10452

Looks like they needed to fit in that PRESTO card green somehow...or as one person suggested to make water level indication easier ("Yea, it's above the black, over the first green and in the white area").