I want to say no as it was a weather-related. Out of their hands. For those pulled from the Don Valley? Hmm.... Still doubtful, but who knows.

Although I don't think a lousy $8 or whatever fare will go far to making amends for being stranded on a flooded GO train for 5+ hours, this situation is exactly the type that GO should issue refunds for to build some goodwill, policy or not.

I have some questions:

1, Does anyone know which cars are submerged?

2. Will water damage scrap these cars?

3. Is GO going to compensate passengers further than the Money Back guarantee?

The lead trailing car was 252. The set will probably be sitting around Willowbrook in the next few days with visible waterlines up to the bottoms of their lower windows.

This situation is exactly the type that GO should issue refunds for, policy or not. Although I don't think a lousy $8 or whatever fare will go far to making amends for being stranded on a flooded GO train for 5+ hours.

+10, as I couldn't agree more.

+10, as I couldn't agree more.

Its the fact that they should of knew about the flooding, the train could've ended at Old Cummer or Oreo.

Its the fact that they should of knew about the flooding, the train could've ended at Old Cummer or Oreo.

Umm... well no unfortunately, that would not have changed anything. The train was en-route to Oriole which required the run through that now submerged area of the Bala Sub. Those two stops would have been bypassed by means of running up the Barrie line and over the York Sub if they were able to do anything in time to avoid running it into that puddle of water and still run service.

Speaking of Oreos....

I highly doubt that GO will scrap the entire trainset.

I'm more interested to know how it managed to take nearly 6 hours to rescue people from this. I feel for the commuters on this train, as the city shouldn't have taken this long to react. It took 2 hours just for the first dinghy to show up. What kind of emergency response is that?

Oh and MMMMM Oreos!!

I'm more interested to know how it managed to take nearly 6 hours to rescue people from this. I feel for the commuters on this train, as the city shouldn't have taken this long to react. It took 2 hours just for the first dinghy to show up. What kind of emergency response is that?

Oh and MMMMM Oreos!!

I guess you like to take the chance on loosing your life (or Someone) to the Don since you don't understand the Don in the first place. You try to unload a train of 1,400?? under these conditions.

Given the condition of the river as well the unknown what maybe to come yet, you need a plan and manpower in place to protect the people rescuing the riders as well the riders themselves before starting the rescue. If one of those riders lost their live let alone a rescuer, a PR nightmare as well 2nd guessing what should had taken place.

If the storm had last longer, the water would be higher with the risk factor being higher. Its a good thing the train is DD as it offer a higher level as the water rose over a single level car.

Based on this and the other case a few weeks ago, will Metrolinx fast track the raising of the corridor as well providing more protection to the tracks as plan?? Early warning system needs to be install to warn everyone when water is getting to point X level so service can be suspended and not get train caught like this

The train will be out of service for months since it get overhaul to deal with the water damage.

Will the rebuilding the mouth of the Don help this? There is a public meeting on it later this month and have to thank Ford for this revised EA.

As for the "quiet zones", there will be opposition to having all cars this way. Then I don't use all the lines in the first place to see what is happening in the first place.

Oh and MMMMM Oreos!!

It was a flash flood, 1st unit from the marine unit from TPS had to be rescued them selfs as their SUV was swept away on the Don Road way. All services was stretched thin yesterday at peak. TFS had more then 150 pieces of apparatus out at the same time to different calls around the city, besides this there was 3 multi alarm fires, rescue calls, car accidents, wires down, bush fire, medical calls etc, I dont recall ever when TFS had that many calls at one time.

Umm... well no unfortunately, that would not have changed anything. The train was en-route to Oriole which required the run through that now submerged area of the Bala Sub. Those two stops would have been bypassed by means of running up the Barrie line and over the York Sub if they were able to do anything in time to avoid running it into that puddle of water and still run service.

Speaking of Oreos....

Oops. I'm thinking of southboud,

Nevertheless, they should have known. Aren't there CN patrollers looking after the track anyways?

Oops. I'm thinking of southboud,

Nevertheless, they should have known. Aren't there CN patrollers looking after the track anyways?

Downpour was like an hour long hard to predict what would have happened.

They don't call them flash floods because the water level rises slowly.

Were they able to tow the train out?

CP24 had reported the train was being moved around 6:00 AM this morning.

Any idea how they did that? I bet the traction motors on the locomotive would not be functioning after it was soaked in water for so long. I would think they got another trainset to tow it?

They don't call them flash floods because the water level rises slowly.

Yes, but if they knew the weather was going to be bad, the first area they should've checked should've been there. Seeing how it is a problem area for floods.

Yes, but if they knew the weather was going to be bad, the first area they should've checked should've been there. Seeing how it is a problem area for floods.

The previous train only 30 minutes earlier had no problems passing through the affected section. The flooded train was in the process of backing up to Union (it's not as easy or as quick as throwing it into reverse like a car) after finding it was too flooded to continue, but could not reverse before the water surrounded the train.

Please remember that the section the train was caught in is next to the bottom of the Don River, and a huge portion of the GTA's rivers flow into this point. There's a lot of water going through there at once and it's easy for the river to jump its banks quickly. This image shows how huge the Don River watershed is for those of you unfamiliar with it.

Yes, but if they knew the weather was going to be bad

Actually, they didn't. They knew that there would be storms yesterday afternoon, but the intensity of the rain that Toronto got was completely unexpected. I mean, Pearson got more rain than what they got with Hazel.

I believe there are high water detectors in the Don Valley. Just past 4pm the CN RTC got a report of water over the rails near Mile 2 of the Bala Sub (the later train that got submerged was around Mile 3.6), and had a foreman go have a look. It sounded like they wanted to issue a 10mph slow order for that location at the time. I guess they didn't expect it to get that much worse along the line; nobody could have really foreseen that amount of rainfall.

nobody could have really foreseen that amount of rainfall.

To put it in perspective, Hazel dropped 121mm on Pearson in 18 hours. It got 126mm yesterday in 3 hours.

Anyone have any *real* info on how bad the washout is on the Oakville Sub? I've heard everything from "minor flooding" to "the Dixie overpass is no more"?

Just got in from shooting VIA on the Halton at Mansewood #raremilage.....

Anyone have any *real* info on how bad the washout is on the Oakville Sub? I've heard everything from "minor flooding" to "the Dixie overpass is no more"?

Just got in from shooting VIA on the Halton at Mansewood #raremilage.....

Dixie overpass is still there, there just debris all over Dixie Road. I would imagine there is some pretty significant damage to the rail, ties and potentially some of the concrete on the overpass. I wouldve thought out of all the bridges on the Lakeshore West line, the one over Etobicoke creek would have the most troubles, not the one over Dixie...

Shuttle buses were running between Port Credit and Long Branch during rush hour from GO buses and MiWay. And yes, there were few 81XX Enviro 500 were running too. Midday was running between Port Credit and Union Stn.

^There were indeed some 81** units out on the Long Branch- Port Credit shuttle. Needless to say they barely made a dent in the thousands of riders waiting for buses. MiWay (express and local) buses were used as well. Too bad the buses with ugly new livery werent around so thousands could see how bad they really are.

Dixie was only slightly affected. The main issue is apparently with the bridges over Cooksville Creek.

In any case, it doesn't seem like it wasn't hugely damaged. The line will reopen tomorrow.

Dan