GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

Has anybody seen the new commercial for Metrolinx's Big Move? I'm trying to find it online so I can show it in a slideshow.

It's available on Metrolinx' Facebook page. I don't know how to download it for personal use though.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=vb.109418588034&type=2

I wonder why other agencies aren't featured as well? Brampton, DRT, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Hamilton could have been featured somewhere in the commercial.

Isn't it implementation of their official one step forward and two steps back program ... the one where they get passengers to move further into the trains, to fit in more passengers?

Oh, I see what you did there. :-)

Wow!

http://news.ontario....m_campaign=be5y

Starting June 29, GO Trains that currently run hourly along the Lakeshore line between Aldershot and Oshawa will run every 30 minutes, seven days a week. This will add 263 new train trips in total along the line, including:

• Eighteen new trips on weekdays, 24 new trips on Saturdays and 15 new trips on Sundays on the Lakeshore East line

• Nineteen new trips on weekdays, 24 new trips on Saturdays and 15 new trips on Sundays on the Lakeshore West line

Wynne was talking about this being a year or two away when she was Transport minister 3 years ago. Looks like she's kicked some butts!

Hopefully she'll push all-day and weekend service on the other 4 GO lines that CP doesn't own (Barrie, Stouffville, Kitchener, and Richmond Hilll) in the next 2-3 years, rather than the 15+ Metrolinx has been pondering.

Hopefully she'll push all-day and weekend service on the other 4 GO lines that CP doesn't own (Barrie, Stouffville, Kitchener, and Richmond Hilll) in the next 2-3 years, rather than the 15+ Metrolinx has been pondering.

Kitchener won't be for a while until signal upgrades/ridership/all the gadgets are in place.

Kitchener won't be for a while until signal upgrades/ridership/all the gadgets are in place.

Well, I'm only thinking out to Brampton. I don't think full-day service to places like Guelph, Barrie, St. Catharines, etc. are in the cards. Though even a limited evening/weekend/off-peak service would benefit.

Glad to see that somewhere some one is getting more trains. At the same time it's disheartening to constantly hear all day two way plans for the Kitchener line (as far as Brampton at least) continue to be scaled back, now down to "a few extra trips". As I sat in traffic on my way into - I repeat into! - downtown TO last Wednesday afternoon sitting on the train-bus for an hour plus, I couldn't help but look wistfully out a window, pondering a 40 minute commute by train and wondering if we'll ever get to that level of service at that time of day.

I saw a tongue-in-cheek post the other day about some one heading out to Cooksville stn at 9am on a Friday waiting for a train into TO (that would not be appearing until the following Monday). At least from Cooksville, it's a quick bus trip down to Port Credit for a train that would actually be coming.

For all the investment (over $1 billion) being made in the Georgetown South Project - and I get that the UPX (ARL) is an important factor in that - shouldn't Brampton commuters also be expecting a little more of a benefit than "a few extra trains"? Like an hourly train throughout the day? Or even 1 train running back and forth from Union to Mount Pleasant or even Bramalea? Is that really too much to ask?

Glad to see that somewhere some one is getting more trains. At the same time it's disheartening to constantly hear all day two way plans for the Kitchener line (as far as Brampton at least) continue to be scaled back, now down to "a few extra trips". As I sat in traffic on my way into - I repeat into! - downtown TO last Wednesday afternoon sitting on the train-bus for an hour plus, I couldn't help but look wistfully out a window, pondering a 40 minute commute by train and wondering if we'll ever get to that level of service at that time of day.

I saw a tongue-in-cheek post the other day about some one heading out to Cooksville stn at 9am on a Friday waiting for a train into TO (that would not be appearing until the following Monday). At least from Cooksville, it's a quick bus trip down to Port Credit for a train that would actually be coming.

For all the investment (over $1 billion) being made in the Georgetown South Project - and I get that the UPX (ARL) is an important factor in that - shouldn't Brampton commuters also be expecting a little more of a benefit than "a few extra trains"? Like an hourly train throughout the day? Or even 1 train running back and forth from Union to Mount Pleasant or even Bramalea? Is that really too much to ask?

Metrolinx doesn't own the tracks that the Kitchener line runs on, and CN uses those tracks as part of their mainline. It's heavy with freight traffic, and CN probably doesn't want to sell off-peak trackage rights to GO which will restrict CN's ability to run freight. I don't know the full details but I suspect it will require a third track to be installed west of the Airport up to Mount Pleasant (where the all-day service will end).

For now, GO is concentrating on the lines they own for service improvement, and since they own 100% of the trackage rights - part of the reason they've added so many shoulder-peak trips on this line recently - Stouffville is most likely to get all-day service. Richmond Hill and Barrie lines also have less freight traffic so they are more likely to come earlier than Kitchener and Milton.

Both CN and CP have stated that FOUR tracks are required on Halton and Galt Subs to sustain all-day GO service. CN has issues with single-tracked bridges and CP needs to build additional capacity across Humber River, Cooksville Creek, and Credit River. Big bucks and lots of time needed. It was a major "give" last year when CP allowed a 16:00 departure.

Both CN and CP have stated that FOUR tracks are required on Halton and Galt Subs to sustain all-day GO service. CN has issues with single-tracked bridges and CP needs to build additional capacity across Humber River, Cooksville Creek, and Credit River. Big bucks and lots of time needed. It was a major "give" last year when CP allowed a 16:00 departure.

CN has never, ever stated that 4 tracks total were necessary for all-day service on the Halton Sub. They stated that 1 additional track would be needed - which has since been accomplished.

Dan

On the Kitchener line, the infrastructure north of where the UPX branches off to the airport is already ready for 4 tracks as far as Bramalea Go, with the exception of the bottleneck at the 401 tunnel. Maybe some one knows more than me why that wasn't upgraded, especially during the recent 401 construction that just happened in the area. And Go does own the track up to again, Bramalea Go on the Halton Sub. North of Bramalea Go Station, infrastructure is in place for three tracks as far as Mount Pleasant, except around downtown Brampton & Brampton Go, which is double tracked and the Go station recently upgraded to double platform. So they could conceivably go with something approaching full service at least as far as Bramalea, with better-than-now, if somewhat more limited service to Mount Pleasant as of 2015. But surely they can do better than just a few extra trips.