1 hour ago, bn2189 said:

Both the Wiki and the recently-released Bible, er, Trackside Guide show the current GO Transit passenger car orders as standard coaches 4000-4054 and accessible coaches 4500-4504.   However, accessible coaches are up to at least 4514 based on these pictures I took at the TMC earlier in the month.  Personally, the highest-numbered non-accessible coach I've seen has been the 4018.  I presume the proportion of each within the order has been adjusted.  Could anyone share the new distribution?

Lance Gleich, Toronto ON

go4511tmcside.jpg

go4514tmc.jpg

No idea what the new distrobution is, but I do know the highest unit I’ve seen in service was 4037

12 hours ago, bn2189 said:

Both the Wiki and the recently-released Bible, er, Trackside Guide show the current GO Transit passenger car orders as standard coaches 4000-4054 and accessible coaches 4500-4504.   However, accessible coaches are up to at least 4514 based on these pictures I took at the TMC earlier in the month.  Personally, the highest-numbered non-accessible coach I've seen has been the 4018.  I presume the proportion of each within the order has been adjusted.  Could anyone share the new distribution?

Lance Gleich, Toronto ON

go4511tmcside.jpg

go4514tmc.jpg

All of the cars in that original order - 4500-4504 and 4000-4054 are delivered, and virtually all of them are in service. The only ones I haven't personally seen in service are the units north of 4047.

These cars however are from the 125 car follow-up order, and for which I haven't seen a breakdown yet. At the least 4505 and 4506 are in service now, and judging by their photos they seem to be pumping out more accessible cars by the mittful - they have been shipping cars down in pairs for the past couple of weeks, although I hadn't yet seen numbers for any of them.

Dan

• Like 1

https://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/procurement/ontario-commits-massive-overhaul-go-transit-will-launch-procurement-shortly-210619/

Gov't is committing to the RER program, which will cost some $21.3B. Calls for six new GO stations, upgrades at multiple stations, 150km of new track and electrification of the network. Cost also includes new maintenance facilities, bus stations, signage and yes, procurement of new rolling stock. 

Mar 24
Track 1 is in place and ready for use from the top of the south ramp at Weston to Weston Rd, but no track 1 at Weston. Track tampering is taking place at Weston Rd area.
[img]

Stop off in Whitby on my way home from a birthday party and had my first look at GO Transit Whitby Rail Maintenance Facility in poor light.
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]

My first look at the new Oshawa Station. Get a good view from the overpass and windows of the main lines. Elevator is hospital style.
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

https://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/procurement/ontario-commits-massive-overhaul-go-transit-will-launch-procurement-shortly-210619/

Gov't is committing to the RER program, which will cost some $21.3B. Calls for six new GO stations, upgrades at multiple stations, 150km of new track and electrification of the network. Cost also includes new maintenance facilities, bus stations, signage and yes, procurement of new rolling stock. 

21.3 Billion seems like way more than it should be. Assuming there are 50 grade separations/bridge replacements that need to occur in the system, at 50 million per grade separation, that'll cost 2.5 billion. The 150km of new track at 10 million/km should cost 1.5 billion, the 6 new GO stations at 300 million/station should cost 1.8 billion, electrification at 10mil/km of the 500km network is 5 billion, and upgrades to stations at 20 million/station should cost at most 1.2 billion. In total, this is around 12 billion. How can it almost double?

1 hour ago, Streety McCarface said:

21.3 Billion seems like way more than it should be. Assuming there are 50 grade separations/bridge replacements that need to occur in the system, at 50 million per grade separation, that'll cost 2.5 billion. The 150km of new track at 10 million/km should cost 1.5 billion, the 6 new GO stations at 300 million/station should cost 1.8 billion, electrification at 10mil/km of the 500km network is 5 billion, and upgrades to stations at 20 million/station should cost at most 1.2 billion. In total, this is around 12 billion. How can it almost double?

All of the other costs that you've ignored: land purchases, earth moving, equipment purchases, additional layover and storage facilities, project staging, signalling to name just a few that come to the top of my head.

Dan

• Like 2

Not strictly an observation on GO (unless they had a hand in vetoing it) but it's a shame with all the changes at Oshawa that none of the VIA platforms are high floor, even the side platform on the inside through track. 

This is probably a preposterous question, but when the time comes from electrification, is it absolutely out of the question to electrify the MP40s? Considering the fact that the fleet is generally young. IDK, just curious. 

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

This is probably a preposterous question, but when the time comes from electrification, is it absolutely out of the question to electrify the MP40s? Considering the fact that the fleet is generally young. IDK, just curious. 

Not worthwhile. They'll have plenty of residual value as diesel locos on the second-hand market, and there will still be a need for a decent-sized fleet of them on GO even with electrification.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/03/2018 at 9:04 PM, drum118 said:

Mar 24
Track 1 is in place and ready for use from the top of the south ramp at Weston to Weston Rd, but no track 1 at Weston. Track tampering is taking place at Weston Rd area.
[img]

You mean tamping?  Tampering is breaking stuff according to Webster's Dictionary, though it can mean other bad things.

Edited by 38 Highland Creek
Only needed proper photo related to the caption above

20 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

OMG THESE WILL BE FUSION POWERED!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, CNL is all about nuclear technology. What would they know about widespread creation, distribution, and application of hydrogen gas?

Here's an OPG page about management of a hydrogen isotope: https://www.opg.com/generating-power/nuclear/stations/darlington-nuclear/Pages/darlington-nuclear.aspx

So yeah, CNL might know some things about managing hydrogen.

3 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

Here's an OPG page about management of a hydrogen isotope: https://www.opg.com/generating-power/nuclear/stations/darlington-nuclear/Pages/darlington-nuclear.aspx

So yeah, CNL might know some things about managing hydrogen.

Managing isotopes of hydrogen at a nuclear plant <> widespread creation, distribution, and application (I should have said "industrial" I guess) of hydrogen.

The deuterium (in the heavy water moderator, natch) and tritium at Darlington have nothing to do with the production, storage, etc. of hydrogen on an industrial scale to power a heavy rail system using fuel cells.

So why did Metrolinx retain this company? I'll leave that as an exercise for readers.

On 3/28/2018 at 9:31 AM, smallspy said:

All of the other costs that you've ignored: land purchases, earth moving, equipment purchases, additional layover and storage facilities, project staging, signalling to name just a few that come to the top of my head.

Dan

Signaling, land purchases, earth moving were included with track extensions because an increase per kilometer is only equal to about 1.5-2.5 million dollars per kilometer, depending on circumstances. Costs for additional maintenance facilities and rolling stock are tricky to determine, but say 4 million dollars per EMU, 4 car EMU trains every 15 minutes. Assuming all areas of the go network use this (to account for spare ratios). This should equate to about 60 trains, 240 cars. ~1 billion dollars. We'll say 14 billion to include an extra billion dollar contingency (even though all other aspects were at the very highest of potential costs). Again, where are the other 7.3 billion dollars going? That money could be used for projects like the DRL or Bloor Danforth capacity improvements. 

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Managing isotopes of hydrogen at a nuclear plant <> widespread creation, distribution, and application (I should have said "industrial" I guess) of hydrogen.

The deuterium (in the heavy water moderator, natch) and tritium at Darlington have nothing to do with the production, storage, etc. of hydrogen on an industrial scale to power a heavy rail system using fuel cells.

So why did Metrolinx retain this company? I'll leave that as an exercise for readers.

You'd be surprised to learn the CANDU generators (OPG and Bruce Power at least) are hydrogen cooled, large quantities of which are stored on site.

15 hours ago, 38 Highland Creek said:

You mean tamping?  Tampering is breaking stuff according to Webster's Dictionary, though it can mean other bad things.

You quoted like, ten photos for that?! 

Anyone with any casual knowledge of railway construction knew what he meant. (I.E. 99% of this forum)

5 hours ago, drum118 said:

For chrissakes, just electrify the friggin’ thing and be done with. Why does every infrastructure project have to become a spectacle...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

You quoted like, ten photos for that?! 

Anyone with any casual knowledge of railway construction knew what he meant. (I.E. 99% of this forum)

For chrissakes, just electrify the friggin’ thing and be done with. Why does every infrastructure project have to become a spectacle...

We need to be "world class" by being so unique and so inefficient that people come visit us to experience the fruits of our incompetence. 

16 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

What would tamping have to do with any of this

It's to pack the track ballast under the railway tracks to make the tracks more durable (or tougher).

20799767928_d42376d710_b.jpg

This is a tamping machine as you can see in this photo.

1 hour ago, 38 Highland Creek said:

It's to pack the track ballast under the railway tracks to make the tracks more durable (or tougher).

This is a tamping machine as you can see in this photo.

Ah ok thanks. Read up wrong definition smh