GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

On 11/15/2022 at 11:22 AM, John Oke said:

CP uses the Galt Sub. CN only has one train or so a day along the Guelph Sub past Kitchener with most CN Trains using the Dundas Sub instead

I don't fully understand this comment, but is it saying the deadhead uses a different sub back to Kitchener, which is why it cannot do a special service back?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MRD10 said:

I don't fully understand this comment, but is it saying the deadhead uses a different sub back to Kitchener, which is why it cannot do a special service back?

No, it goes back the way it came along the Guelph Sub. The reasoning why it's not a service is up to MX.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

Sure, anything is possible. But you may also keep my earlier comments about a schedule in mind here.

Dan

So it has nothing to do with the weight of the train, or axles, I think? It was referenced in some earlier posts, but they may be discussing something else. 

5 hours ago, MRD10 said:

So it has nothing to do with the weight of the train, or axles, I think? It was referenced in some earlier posts, but they may be discussing something else. 

The weight has nothing to do with the schedule*, or lack thereof.

You want a train that runs at some bizarre, godforsaken hour to be able to take passengers. (Why, I don't know.) I'm saying that "yes, it is possible", but the realities of it are that making it a scheduled train, rather than a "scheduled" train - meaning that it has to stop in particular places at particular times in order for people to be able to get on and off of it - can and will complicate its operation versus what is there today.

Dan

* Yes, I know about horsepower/tonne measurements, adhesion ratings and all of that stuff. That's not what we're talking about here.

• Like 1

I had a question about the former Yonge Street services (before YRT/Viva took over).

For the bulk of the time that GO was in charge, there were two services: the Newmarket B and the Richmond Hill C. I understand that the C was essentially today's YRT route 99, but I haven't been able to find as much information on the B. Did this provide local service in Newmarket before YRT route 98, and which service pattern did it follow south of Bernard?

2 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I had a question about the former Yonge Street services (before YRT/Viva took over).

For the bulk of the time that GO was in charge, there were two services: the Newmarket B and the Richmond Hill C. I understand that the C was essentially today's YRT route 99, but I haven't been able to find as much information on the B. Did this provide local service in Newmarket before YRT route 98, and which service pattern did it follow south of Bernard?

From what I remember the Newmarket B ran local up to Newmarket Terminal via Eagle

3 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

The Newmarket "B" service was more akin to VIVA Blue than to YRT's 98/99. Especially south of Bernard, where the majority of the "C" buses turned back, it stopped on request only. To the north of that, the stops were oriented more widely apart than 98's are today. Although in fairness, that may also be a function of how development has sprouted up along Yonge St in the last 20 years.

Dan

7 minutes ago, smallspy said:

The Newmarket "B" service was more akin to VIVA Blue than to YRT's 98/99. Especially south of Bernard, where the majority of the "C" buses turned back, it stopped on request only. To the north of that, the stops were oriented more widely apart than 98's are today. Although in fairness, that may also be a function of how development has sprouted up along Yonge St in the last 20 years.

Dan

That probably also explains why the Newmarket B used suburban buses while the Richmond Hill C used local ones, but I might be mixing up the time periods before and after the YRT takeover in 2003.

You're in luck, because GO actually has the old timetables for the York Region local services (Yonge B and C as well as the Bayview local) on it's special 50th anniversary website. The Yonge C and Bayview services had their own flat fares (and accepted Richmond Hill transit and Markham transit transfers I think), while the Yonge B used the regular GO transit zone system (and I'm not sure if it carried local passengers south of Bernard).

The Yonge C was very frequent, every 5-7 minutes in the peaks south of Major Mackenzie. The current Viva service on Yonge is barely any better 20 odd years later, and this is with heavy capital investment in dedicated infrastructure. 

2 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

You're in luck, because GO actually has the old timetables for the York Region local services (Yonge B and C as well as the Bayview local) on it's special 50th anniversary website. The Yonge C and Bayview services had their own flat fares (and accepted Richmond Hill transit and Markham transit transfers I think), while the Yonge B used the regular GO transit zone system (and I'm not sure if it carried local passengers south of Bernard).

The Yonge C was very frequent, every 5-7 minutes in the peaks south of Major Mackenzie. The current Viva service on Yonge is barely any better 20 odd years later, and this is with heavy capital investment in dedicated infrastructure. 

The service has gotten worse today than it was when GO ran it. You could go from Finch to Newmarket in one hour. It now takes two. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Shaun said:

The service has gotten worse today than it was when GO ran it. You could go from Finch to Newmarket in one hour. It now takes two. 

That is by multiple other factors not just by GO being better.

The speed limit on many stretches of Yonge has gone down. There used to be some 80km/h sections in Richmond Hill even a few years ago.
There's more riders now than 20 years ago and hence they stop more often.
There's more traffic along Yonge due to residential developments and most traffic lights.

44 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

The speed limit on many stretches of Yonge has gone down. There used to be some 80km/h sections in Richmond Hill even a few years ago.
There's more traffic along Yonge due to residential developments and most traffic lights.

I still think that it makes sense to have a express service to Bernard Terminal stopping only at Richmond Hill Centre heading to Newmarket. That might save you 30min. It makes no sense that sometimes 99/98 which is a local service is faster than BRT.

15 hours ago, Shaun said:

I still think that it makes sense to have a express service to Bernard Terminal stopping only at Richmond Hill Centre heading to Newmarket. That might save you 30min. It makes no sense that sometimes 99/98 which is a local service is faster than BRT.

Perhaps a putative VIVA equivalent of the 98E?

51 minutes ago, MRD10 said:

Saw a destination sign at Bramalea today that said, 47S Special. What is the purpose and routing of this route?

This same question has come up before; I'll quote my answer to it from a couple of pages back:

On 10/7/2022 at 6:47 PM, Articulated said:

Every route has an S-branch "Special" code programmed in. It is usually put up by drivers when there isn't a regular code available.

Looking on Transsee, 2487 is currently tracking on route 41A, which was introduced last month; it's possible that the bus didn't have the most recent codes programmed in, requiring the use of 41S instead.

• Like 3

On 11/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Is there any GO driver here who remembers how to turn on the Jake Brake on 2280?

Its one of the 2005 buses with the blue and yellow interior.

Thanks

Not a driver, but the MCI Operator Manual might help.

http://3dparts.mcicoach.com/Manuals.aspx - all the Manuals (Parts, Maintenance, Operators) from 1998 onwards, from MCI themselves.

http://3dparts.mcicoach.com/DownloadFile.aspx?ManualId=73  - manual from that specific range (2005 D-series.) Page 41 / 42 should have the info you're looking for.

Best of luck on the coaches!

On 11/22/2022 at 8:35 AM, Cityflyer said:

This really brought me back to my childhood days... lol.

Another thing I've always wondered about is why there's a GO bus stop at Keele and 401, which is your typical suburban Toronto highway interchange. Is this because of the Ontario Government complex located there?