GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

56 minutes ago, Articulated said:

A few: 37, 38, 68, and 81.

The 36 used to be as well until they changed the platform assignments at York Mills.

Regarding Route 37, 38 and 81, I guess they stick to regular coach buses due to low ridership?

I know the 68 is not permitted to operate with double deckers due to the risk of hitting an overhang at Barrie Bus Terminal. The maximum furthest terminus they can operate is up to Allandale Go Station. 

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Regarding Route 37, 38 and 81, I guess they stick to regular coach buses due to low ridership?

I know the 68 is not permitted to operate with double deckers due to the risk of hitting an overhang at Barrie Bus Terminal. The maximum furthest terminus they can operate is up to Allandale Go Station. 

In addition the 81 actually has two buses located in Beaverton so it’s more or less the same two D4500s and drivers pending a bus change for repairs

42 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

In addition the 81 actually has two buses located in Beaverton so it’s more or less the same two D4500s and drivers pending a bus change for repairs

That's no longer correct. Beaverton used to have a satellite facility, but the lease was terminated in 2019 when the 81 was slated to be canceled (the same time a number of rural routes were cancelled/reduced by the Ford government). Due to political interference the 81 ended up being maintained at a reduced frequency; however, with the garage lease cancelled buses now have to deadhead to/from the closest garage (usually East Gwillimbury, but some trips are operated by Oshawa).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Speaking of single level buses is there going to be an order to replace MCI's? 

Are drivers walking off the job at midnight?

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Speaking of single level buses is there going to be an order to replace MCI's? 

Are drivers walking off the job at midnight?

Trips beginning before midnight are operating, but after that they will not be.

11 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Interesting. The wiki did mention that Enviro500s were operated on route 81 at a certain point; was this changed back recently?

8 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Interesting. The wiki did mention that Enviro500s were operated on route 81 at a certain point; was this changed back recently?

They ordered the teachers back to work but not GO transit workers ?

20 minutes ago, Shaun said:

They ordered the teachers back to work but not GO transit workers ?

No, they didn't.

They tried to impose a contract on education support workers, those being chiefly early childhood educators, librarians, custodians, etc., not teachers. Those education workers then told them to pound sand. Please inform yourself before posting.

Also, the GO strike literally just started. I'm sure there's lots of bad faith threats against the drivers in the pipeline, just give it time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

The DD’s used to operate on the 81A branch (Whitby Go to Port Perry) when it existed. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on the main 81 to Beaverton. 

7 minutes ago, T3G said:

No, they didn't.

They tried to impose a contract on education support workers, those being chiefly early childhood educators, librarians, custodians, etc., not teachers. Those education workers then told them to pound sand. Please inform yourself before posting.

Also, the GO strike literally just started. I'm sure there's lots of bad faith threats against the drivers in the pipeline, just give it time.

Don’t waste your time.

His lobotomy was performed on a Friday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 11/4/2022 at 10:27 PM, T3G said:

It has been begun since yesterday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9257860/go-transit-strike/amp/
Since GO Trains and UPX aren’t affected, how will the TTC and the 905 systems will cope with alternative service? There could be possible temporary service increases.

Secondly, I would imagine if Ford will pass a bill to get GO bus operators back to work similar to what McGuinty did to the TTC back in April 2008 once the union gets a new contract. They’ll eventually declare GO Transit as an essential service as time goes on. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Secondly, I would imagine if Ford will pass a bill to get GO bus operators back to work similar to what McGuinty did to the TTC back in April 2008 once the union gets a new contract. They’ll eventually declare GO Transit as an essential service as time goes on. 

I doubt that there is any impetus at this point to legislate them back to work, and there is even less interest in declaring them as an essential service as doing so would open a rather large Pandora's Box that no one seems particularly interested in going into.

Dan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

It has been begun since yesterday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9257860/go-transit-strike/amp/
Since GO Trains and UPX aren’t affected, how will the TTC and the 905 systems will cope with alternative service? There could be possible temporary service increases.

The problem with being an essential service is that everything goes to binding arbitration, which results in everything being split down the middle. 

So if party A is at #2 and party B is at #5 the result is 3.275 or something like that. 

In this situation I think that is exactly what the government is trying to avoid, because it costs more. 

Not sure what precedent they are trying to make here but it's not good.  

On the issue of Artics on GO Buses. I don't see that happening. I see either more Highway coaches or DD Buses. Whether they are e-Buses or Diesel buses, I can't say, but I don't see Artics or at least not Highway coaches. I know Neoplan makes  Highway Artics, not sure about Van Hool or Setra, but I guess they could use either NFI or Nova artics in Surban versions with Highway Coach style seats, but I can't see it happening. Simply put they would have retrofit they garages  Hoists for Artic buses, and the artics have issues in snow, just look at Ottawa's artics in the winter?

I see mainly DD Buses & MCI series Coachs be it E-Buses or D-buses. I dought they'll go with Prevost?

As for the arbitration, I can't comment on other unions or places, but for me I work for the City Of Ottawa(PWS-building operations) and the department I work for can't strike, for us or union CUPE 503 tries to work out a deal. For the things the city & union can't agree on those issues go before a arbitrator.

Yes, I'd be curious to know exactly what sort of transit systems these are that have been replaced DDs with artics. They must be urban systems, surely. I don't know of any artic produced in the modern day that is suitable for commuter operations.

I guess if a big enough operator were interested, they could redesign the bus to make it more suitable for such an operation.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, T3G said:

Yes, I'd be curious to know exactly what sort of transit systems these are that have been replaced DDs with artics. They must be urban systems, surely. I don't know of any artic produced in the modern day that is suitable for commuter operations.

I guess if a big enough operator were interested, they could redesign the bus to make it more suitable for such an operation.

They could remove the cargo area on the double deckers and add more seats like they do in Ottawa. Those compartments are hardly used anyway.

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

They could remove the cargo area on the double deckers and add more seats like they do in Ottawa. Those compartments are hardly used anyway.

I'm not confident this would work on the SuperLo buses due to their reduced height.

Regardless, it's important to look at what lead to the development of the SuperLo. Go originally got DDs for capacity reasons, but the SuperLos were created by a desire to have a vehicle that would accommodate wheelchairs without a lift. Lift issues are a massive problem for high-floor buses in use in commuter service, and the ease of deploying a ramp makes a low-floor bus a winner. Around the time that GO was looking for buses with a low-floor wheelchair entrance, MCI came out with the D45CRT which hardly seems like a co-incidence. While GO chose the SuperLo, the D45CRT seems like it would be the best option for additional coach buses should GO want to go that route in the future.

1 hour ago, Flalex72 said:

I'm not confident this would work on the SuperLo buses due to their reduced height.

Regardless, it's important to look at what lead to the development of the SuperLo. Go originally got DDs for capacity reasons, but the SuperLos were created by a desire to have a vehicle that would accommodate wheelchairs without a lift. Lift issues are a massive problem for high-floor buses in use in commuter service, and the ease of deploying a ramp makes a low-floor bus a winner. Around the time that GO was looking for buses with a low-floor wheelchair entrance, MCI came out with the D45CRT which hardly seems like a co-incidence. While GO chose the SuperLo, the D45CRT seems like it would be the best option for additional coach buses should GO want to go that route in the future.

Metrolinx was reportedly not overly thrilled with the D45 CRT LE. They are looking for something low floor, however. What that is remains to be seen and again could be something custom like the SuperLo.

55 minutes ago, 2044 said:

Metrolinx was reportedly not overly thrilled with the D45 CRT LE. They are looking for something low floor, however. What that is remains to be seen and again could be something custom like the SuperLo.

I recall hearing the same, and I don't disagree. The design seems like a bit of a kludge, reducing the vehicle capacity regardless of the presence of a person in a wheelchair and sticking them in their own separate hole with limited visibility. With the developments since, New Flyer group wins either way but what the D45CRT proves is that GO seemingly has enough buying power to influence the market. Perhaps one of the New Flyer or Volvo companies will copy the VanHool C3045 should GO want something like that in the future.

Different provinces and systems, but Translink has LFS Suburbans and formally Orion V suburban. 

While not a "GO Transit" so to speak, operating separately from Translink...

But anyway, in my opinion, think they should look at the DDL or another brand I'd standard highway commuter coach, like the LeMiarge.

At least with the DDL, it could be the best option for LF, except with limited routes they can serve. But could ADL build a DDL type bus minus the luggage compartment to make lije a SuperLo?

44 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Different provinces and systems, but Translink has LFS Suburbans and formally Orion V suburban. 

While not a "GO Transit" so to speak, operating separately from Translink...

But anyway, in my opinion, think they should look at the DDL or another brand I'd standard highway commuter coach, like the LeMiarge.

At least with the DDL, it could be the best option for LF, except with limited routes they can serve. But could ADL build a DDL type bus minus the luggage compartment to make lije a SuperLo?

I don't think that a transit bus would fulfill the duty cycle of a highway coach, but maybe if it was half high floor? But it can't go as fast, I know this because if there are any hills they will slow down. It won't be able to maintain current schedules.

25 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I don't think that a transit bus would fulfill the duty cycle of a highway coach, but maybe if it was half high floor? But it can't go as fast, I know this because if there are any hills they will slow down. It won't be able to maintain current schedules.

They can be geared to highway use.