GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

54 minutes ago, John Oke said:

They won’t be retired until the bridge near St. Mary’s on the Guelph Sub is upgraded. The MP40’s/54’s are allegedly too heavy. So GO is restricted to F59’s and 6 car trains 

Too heavy? They normally have two F49's leading and 6 cars. They're has been a few times a single MP40 has been used on that run.

14 hours ago, G.A said:

Too heavy? They normally have two F49's leading and 6 cars. They're has been a few times a single MP40 has been used on that run.

I don't believe that they can use MP40's on the bridge. 

It likely has to do with the axle weight of the locomotive exceeding the weight limit of the track structure.  Not the total weight of the train it's self.  Notice how CN uses 2 axle locomotives on that route? It's likely because their bigger locomotives cannot go over the bridge. 

GO Transit's new "on-demand" pilot service - is coming to Northumberland County, Ontario, Canada for the first time starting this summer.

It will serve parts of Northumberland County (like Port Hope, Cobourg, Brighton, Trent Hills) and will link up with the Oshawa GO Station. The information is very scarce to share at this time, though:

https://www.thestar.com/local-northumberland/news/2022/04/19/new-on-demand-pilot-shuttle-service-will-connect-northumberland-to-go-network-says-mpp.html

https://northumberlandcountybreakingnewsfeed.ca/2022/04/19/go-on-demand-shuttle-service-is-coming-to-northumberland-county/

https://www.gonorthumberland.ca/2022/04/19/563942/

28 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

GO Transit's new "on-demand" pilot service - is coming to Northumberland County, Ontario, Canada for the first time starting this summer.

It will serve parts of Northumberland County (like Port Hope, Cobourg, Brighton, Trent Hills) and will link up with the Oshawa GO Station. The information is very scarce to share at this time, though:

https://www.thestar.com/local-northumberland/news/2022/04/19/new-on-demand-pilot-shuttle-service-will-connect-northumberland-to-go-network-says-mpp.html

https://northumberlandcountybreakingnewsfeed.ca/2022/04/19/go-on-demand-shuttle-service-is-coming-to-northumberland-county/

https://www.gonorthumberland.ca/2022/04/19/563942/

Very interesting. Curious if they will be acquiring cutaways for the service or will be using their 45ft buses. This is a smart move for GO instead of throwing a bus out there on a schedule.

11 hours ago, G.A said:

Very interesting. Curious if they will be acquiring cutaways for the service or will be using their 45ft buses. This is a smart move for GO instead of throwing a bus out there on a schedule.

So it will actually pick you up from your door and take you to the GO Station? I would think it would be based on buses arriving at Oshawa for a certain departure and then the pickup time will be adjusted accordingly. 

If you want to catch the 12pm GO train from Oshawa, the bus will pick you up at 11:00am and then pick up people along the way.  

I think they should have started with services to Malls or certain land marks to start and then people can get to the mall so that they can catch the GO Bus to the station. Let the municipality provide the last mile to the door. 

By what I meant as a Motor Home was whom ever buys one and wants to convert it into a motor hme and has a camp site where you can park RV's/Motor homes if the site will allow it and there's room for it, it's great RV to have.

Sleeping quarters up stairs, Kitchen & Living room downstairs and if possible slide outs on the bottom level. Yes it might cost some, but way cheaper then buying a new motor home with the same features.

And by having it parked year round mileage won't be as bad as it won't be moving.

23 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

By what I meant as a Motor Home was whom ever buys one and wants to convert it into a motor hme and has a camp site where you can park RV's/Motor homes if the site will allow it and there's room for it, it's great RV to have.

Sleeping quarters up stairs, Kitchen & Living room downstairs and if possible slide outs on the bottom level. Yes it might cost some, but way cheaper then buying a new motor home with the same features.

And by having it parked year round mileage won't be as bad as it won't be moving.

I think that they are a bit heavy to go camping. 

With the ongoing labour protests that have shut down GO Bus service out of Union Station Bus Terminal in the afternoons and evenings is there a contingency plan for an alternate location downtown?  The end of Bremner Blvd. is usually the default whenever the previous Union Station Bus Terminal (north of the tracks) couldn't be used but it's currently configured for Jurassic Park and soon to be Maple Leaf Square.  Running into the problem this past Sunday was particularly bad as the only GO service out of Union Station was the Lakeshore West line.

Without the co-fare, truncating GO Bus service to the extremities of the the TTC subway network is a drain on time and finances.  The reconfiguration of Front St. also eliminates going back to the pre-bus terminal setup without turfing the taxi stand/passenger pick-up and rerouting service.  I can only imagine what the backlog of traffic will be like trying to go north onto York St. from Harbour St. after exiting the Gardiner.  Perhaps going around the block instead of making that left turn?  FlixBus might be on to something serving passengers at York and Queens Quay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gil said:

With the ongoing labour protests that have shut down GO Bus service out of Union Station Bus Terminal in the afternoons and evenings is there a contingency plan for an alternate location downtown?  The end of Bremner Blvd. is usually the default whenever the previous Union Station Bus Terminal (north of the tracks) couldn't be used but it's currently configured for Jurassic Park and soon to be Maple Leaf Square.  Running into the problem this past Sunday was particularly bad as the only GO service out of Union Station was the Lakeshore West line.

Without the co-fare, truncating GO Bus service to the extremities of the the TTC subway network is a drain on time and finances.  The reconfiguration of Front St. also eliminates going back to the pre-bus terminal setup without turfing the taxi stand/passenger pick-up and rerouting service.  I can only imagine what the backlog of traffic will be like trying to go north onto York St. from Harbour St. after exiting the Gardiner.  Perhaps going around the block instead of making that left turn?  FlixBus might be on to something serving passengers at York and Queens Quay.

When USBT was closed this weekend due to the protests, the train-buses from the north and east (65, 71, 90) were being diverted to Highway 407 Station, while the ones in the west (21, 31) were sent to Port Credit GO to connect with Lakeshore West trains. This is the usual procedure whenever traffic downtown is snarled (such as Gardiner or DVP closures). Prior to Highway 407 Station opening, York Mills was often used as the diversion point.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Articulated said:

When USBT was closed this weekend due to the protests, the train-buses from the north and east (65, 71, 90) were being diverted to Highway 407 Station, while the ones in the west (21, 31) were sent to Port Credit GO to connect with Lakeshore West trains. This is the usual procedure whenever traffic downtown is snarled (such as Gardiner or DVP closures). Prior to Highway 407 Station opening, York Mills was often used as the diversion point.

I don't know that the trip planner factors in the detour.  At least it didn't on Sunday.  I saw the notice for Union Station but didn't read it and rushed to catch my bus only to be told by Metrolinx staff that the Bus Terminal was closed (they didn't say why) and directed me into the train station.  I guess there are also alternate GO bus routes via Finch, Sheppard, Yorkdale and Hwy. 407.  Could Kipling be used as a diversion point in the future?  MiWay has fewer routes operating on weekends and GO still has a platform or two that aren't used.  The signage at that terminal still leaves much to be desired.  The ongoing construction at Port Credit for the Hurontario LRT is probably a bit of an additional inconvenience for the diversion.

I do wish they'd put more departure screens on the approaches to both the Bus and Train stations.  Granted they're not necessarily on Metrolinx property at that point, but something should be worked out with the property owners for the sake of passenger convenience.  The Bay St. Teamway could definitely use a bus terminal display, as you don't see the first one until you enter the bus terminal itself, and it's off to the side along the wall when you enter.  You'd walk right by it if you didn't know it was there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Did it affect other buses? Or just GO transit? 

They should just go to binding arbitration and get it over with. 

I went by on Monday via Megabus and no detour was reported while Go Transit buses were detoured to alternative stations.

50 minutes ago, Gil said:

I don't know that the trip planner factors in the detour.  At least it didn't on Sunday.  I saw the notice for Union Station but didn't read it and rushed to catch my bus only to be told by Metrolinx staff that the Bus Terminal was closed (they didn't say why) and directed me into the train station.  I guess there are also alternate GO bus routes via Finch, Sheppard, Yorkdale and Hwy. 407.  Could Kipling be used as a diversion point in the future?  MiWay has fewer routes operating on weekends and GO still has a platform or two that aren't used.  The signage at that terminal still leaves much to be desired.  The ongoing construction at Port Credit for the Hurontario LRT is probably a bit of an additional inconvenience for the diversion.

I do wish they'd put more departure screens on the approaches to both the Bus and Train stations.  Granted they're not necessarily on Metrolinx property at that point, but something should be worked out with the property owners for the sake of passenger convenience.  The Bay St. Teamway could definitely use a bus terminal display, as you don't see the first one until you enter the bus terminal itself, and it's off to the side along the wall when you enter.  You'd walk right by it if you didn't know it was there.

The trip planner would only factor the alternative station if it is planned such as DVP and Gardiner closure. If there is a detour due to demonstrations or heavy traffic that impacts scheduling, then it won't be reflected in the trip planner. It is up to the transit operator to communicate to passengers regarding the alternative terminus. 

Regarding Saturday, it was originally that buses would stop in front of the terminal and pick up/drop off passengers. Which was abandoned because of heavy traffic and instead routing buses to alternative stations with access to connecting services. Port Credit providing connection to Lakeshore West trains and Highway 407 to connect to Line 1 trains downtown. 

Saw people waiting inside for buses that were not entering and heard one report of one bus stuck inside Union Station Bus Terminal for over an hour unable to leave due to the protestors blocking the entrance. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I went by on Monday via Megabus and no detour was reported while Go Transit buses were detoured to alternative stations.

The trip planner would only factor the alternative station if it is planned such as DVP and Gardiner closure. If there is a detour due to demonstrations or heavy traffic that impacts scheduling, then it won't be reflected in the trip planner. It is up to the transit operator to communicate to passengers regarding the alternative terminus. 

Regarding Saturday, it was originally that buses would stop in front of the terminal and pick up/drop off passengers. Which was abandoned because of heavy traffic and instead routing buses to alternative stations with access to connecting services. Port Credit providing connection to Lakeshore West trains and Highway 407 to connect to Line 1 trains downtown. 

Saw people waiting inside for buses that were not entering and heard one report of one bus stuck inside Union Station Bus Terminal for over an hour unable to leave due to the protestors blocking the entrance. 

I was attending a festival down at the nearby Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Saturday (I too, took the shuttle bus from the Ajax GO station to the Union Station Bus Terminal) - the same day which the basketball game was happening. When I took the shuttle bus from Ajax to Union Station Bus Terminal - it was nearly a full house. 

However, when I came home from the Union Station Bus Terminal to the Ajax GO station - it was a quiet ride. The good thing is - only about a few people were on the lower deck and three people (including myself) were on the upper deck! There was one lady who "tagged" me along to the bus terminal at the same time (she was heading to Ajax as well) and she was lucky herself! 

Had I stayed a bit longer in downtown Toronto - I would have to invoke an alternative route!

Aside from that - remember the announcement that the GO-On-Demand pilot is coming to Northumberland County last week? I found one update: https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/local-northumberland/news/2022/04/25/update-new-on-demand-pilot-shuttle-service-will-connect-northumberland-to-go-network-says-mpp.html

As for what platform the new service is going to use - hope it's more reliable that Durham Region Transit's software for this On-Demand service...

On 4/26/2022 at 2:31 PM, Tom1122 said:

I've seen that some of the 8100 series double decker buses are being stored at HCRR. Any idea know how many buses there and what numbers they are?

I had some football business up in Milton last night and saw them there when I passed by on the trip up Guelph Line.  I'm not sure if the new truck's dash cam has a wide enough field of view to have caught them since they were back a ways from the road.

Other notable sightings:  The Mohawk Inn is dead, done, closed and abandoned, which is a shame because they used to have a nice restaurant.  In Milton itself, Ontario Steel Products/Arvin Meritor is totally gone, completely demolished flat piece of ground now.  Arvin Meritor expanded that plant in 2010/11 too.  I have fond memories of being chased around the roof of the building by one very angry Canada goose protecting a nest in one of the cooling towers.

As far as paying off HCRR to warehouse Go buses, jeez, there's a Winston Churchill quote about haggling price that comes to mind there.

4 hours ago, John Oke said:

Can someone correct me if I’m wrong but once the LSE extension to Bomanville opens that would be the first passenger service east of Agincourt Yard on the Belleville sub since the mid-1960’s I think

Other than a couple of meters around Smiths Falls, it will be the first scheduled service, yes.

CN and VIA passenger trains have used the Belleville Sub for detours, however.

Dan