GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

On 3/2/2022 at 2:14 PM, Shaun said:

I was recently at West Harbor GO station and I was thinking, it would have been a no brainer to make platform 2 an island and be able to serve the CN main line. This would reduce the need to backup into the dead end station. OR build a connecting track to the mainline for track 2 until the rest could be completed. Any reason why they didn't?

Effectively, Metrolinx sucks at negotiating... especially with CP, but still with CN... CN pretty much thought it would be too inconvenient to allow the track work and schedule modifications required to put trains through on the main line... hence, an incomplete station. Put simply, the transit side of the negotiation lacked the jewls to push for a complete project.

37 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Effectively, Metrolinx sucks at negotiating... especially with CP, but still with CN... CN pretty much thought it would be too inconvenient to allow the track work and schedule modifications required to put trains through on the main line... hence, an incomplete station. Put simply, the transit side of the negotiation lacked the jewls to push for a complete project.

Okay...but building the connection track would have the train occupy less time than passing the station, doing a backup move into the station.  So would occupying one track on the the track closest to the station if they built an island platform. 

It's not like that line sees that many trains that they couldn't use the second track, especially considering Niagara trains only run on weekends and 2 trains on weekdays. 

On 3/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, Shaun said:

Okay...but building the connection track would have the train occupy less time than passing the station, doing a backup move into the station.  So would occupying one track on the the track closest to the station if they built an island platform. 

It's not like that line sees that many trains that they couldn't use the second track, especially considering Niagara trains only run on weekends and 2 trains on weekdays. 

It's the same politics that prevent all-day service to GO Centre (the better station). Short term disruption to corridor owners isn't worth the long term efficiency of a transit system.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

It's the same politics that prevent all-day service to GO Centre (the better station). Short term disruption to corridor owners isn't worth the long term efficiency of a transit system.

That could be done in one weekend. How many trains would that disrupt? Plus they can be routed through the other track. 

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

That could be done in one weekend. How many trains would that disrupt? Plus they can be routed through the other track. 

Yeah, it would be easy. Trains could and should thorough run at W. Harbour, but like I said... higher powers... People higher up simply don't want to put in the work. It's my suspicion that CN doesn't want to encourage more GO service in the area, hence the intentional incomplete state of W. Harbour and track works.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 4:23 PM, smallspy said:

The fish and chips place is okay. The real reason for going there is Grandad's Donuts.

Dan

On 3/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, Chris W said:

I agree. I need to thank Matthew Green for introducing me to Granddad's. If you haven't been before, you should. The donuts are excellent.

Jeez, I’m quoting posts from March 3rd.  Things have been stupidly busy on my end.

Granddad’s Donuts is good.  That was one of the Hamilton crew’s preferred meeting spot for planning events at Tim Hortons Field when that was still new but only one semipro football game ended up being played there because of the rental costs.  The other good place to eat in he area is (was?) the Harbour Diner.

The real reason, the real foam reason, for visiting West Harbour station is to skip the mediocre fish and chips place, climb down the stairs into Bayfront Park and walk the paved trail that follows the CN yard through to the junction where the CN and CP lines meet.

• Like 1

https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/go-service-updates/train-schedule-changes?sharedLink=true&utm_source=sms&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=schedulechange_trainschedulechanges

Based on this it's going to be very difficult to get from inbetween stops if you want to go anywhere. 

Cuodbt they run shuttle buses to replace trains and stop at stations inbetween? Or short turn trains at Clarkson and Union?

13 minutes ago, Shaun said:

https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/go-service-updates/train-schedule-changes?sharedLink=true&utm_source=sms&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=schedulechange_trainschedulechanges

Based on this it's going to be very difficult to get from inbetween stops if you want to go anywhere. 

Cuodbt they run shuttle buses to replace trains and stop at stations inbetween? Or short turn trains at Clarkson and Union?

The construction is taking place at Port Credit (or technically where the tracks cross over Hurontario east of the station), so theoretically they could run service between Union and Long Branch and Clarkson and West Harbour.  The problem is that both Long Branch and Clarkson aren't really equipped to handle the number of GO buses needed to bridge the gap in service and Long Branch is also not an accessible station.  It is a Sunday, so they could take over part of the parking lot for bus staging if they really wanted to.  I don't know how GO feels about terminating train service at Long Branch for anyone who wanted access to Mimico and Exhibition from the Lakeshore East line.  Any gaps within Toronto they've usually told passengers to take the TTC instead.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KenrichYT said:

At least 4 GO old Cab cars are near completion in the hawker refurbishment program
204 and 212 are confirmed to be 2 of them

Are these the ones at ONR? Have they become cab cars or full passenger coaches.

On 4/10/2022 at 2:48 PM, KenrichYT said:

At least 4 GO old Cab cars are near completion in the hawker refurbishment program
204 and 212 are confirmed to be 2 of them

I recall seeing a pic of a repainted cab car. Could someone post pics of the refurbished cab cars when you get a chance?

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Did they convert the gangway doors to be push button? 

Yes, the intercar doors are a feature that's being redone across the fleet, pending funding, of course. The 26's were/are undergoing refits as they came/come in.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Doubt it since they will likely be retired soon. 

They won’t be retired until the bridge near St. Mary’s on the Guelph Sub is upgraded. The MP40’s/54’s are allegedly too heavy. So GO is restricted to F59’s and 6 car trains