GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

I know that GO is mostly the GTA but has there ever been talks about running trains out of Ottawa? I would think that they could run just 2 or 3 routes potentially using the Ottawa Via station as a hub. I am not suggesting these routes take away from Via or even connect to Toronto area routes but I think there is a market for trains running in and around the Ottawa region. Probably a train to Cornwall, maybe one that heads over to Carleton Place, Perth, Smiths Falls and Brockville. Even the route that heads to Cornwall could loop down to Brockville. They could run those 2 routes interlining, in a clockwise, or counter clockwise routing. Then either GO or Ontario Northland could operate a train that runs Ottawa to North Bay, to connect with the new train that will operate to Union operated by Ontario Northland

I know that GO is mostly the GTA but has there ever been talks about running trains out of Ottawa? I would think that they could run just 2 or 3 routes potentially using the Ottawa Via station as a hub. I am not suggesting these routes take away from Via or even connect to Toronto area routes but I think there is a market for trains running in and around the Ottawa region. Probably a train to Cornwall, maybe one that heads over to Carleton Place, Perth, Smiths Falls and Brockville. Even the route that heads to Cornwall could loop down to Brockville. They could run those 2 routes interlining, in a clockwise, or counter clockwise routing. Then either GO or Ontario Northland could operate a train that runs Ottawa to North Bay, to connect with the new train that will operate to Union operated by Ontario Northland

59 minutes ago, brianc1981 said:

New tracks would have to be laid to go to North Bay considering the tracks from Ottawa to Sudbury where lifted at least 30 years ago. 

3 hours ago, brianc1981 said:

It would be better to have stops closer together than they are for VIA and have GO run trains to those smaller communities, and have VIA serve the farther stops. 

19 hours ago, John Oke said:

New tracks would have to be laid to go to North Bay considering the tracks from Ottawa to Sudbury where lifted at least 30 years ago. 

I know there were tracks torn out a long time ago but there are some freight tracks that operate, even if it is not a direct corridor, but there should still be tracks that can connect the two cities. I believe the route would take the train closer to highway 7 for a stretch before being able to maneuver its way towards North Bay but I would love to see tracks laid again and a proper high speed corridor built to connect from Ottawa to Sudbury but at least North Bay. Between GO and Ontario Northland there should be ways to serve a lot more of the province than there currently is. 

16 hours ago, Shaun said:

It would be better to have stops closer together than they are for VIA and have GO run trains to those smaller communities, and have VIA serve the farther stops. 

I agree with the stops closer together but at the same time VIA is planning to change the routing from Toronto to Ottawa to serve Peterborough so some of the areas currently served by VIA will lose some service which is why GO would be good for those areas. Also VIA can be better served by operating with less stops and having GO cover that corridor doing all the local stops. 

20 hours ago, John Oke said:

1 hour ago, brianc1981 said:

I know there were tracks torn out a long time ago but there are some freight tracks that operate, even if it is not a direct corridor, but there should still be tracks that can connect the two cities. I believe the route would take the train closer to highway 7 for a stretch before being able to maneuver its way towards North Bay but I would love to see tracks laid again and a proper high speed corridor built to connect from Ottawa to Sudbury but at least North Bay. Between GO and Ontario Northland there should be ways to serve a lot more of the province than there currently is. 

I agree with the stops closer together but at the same time VIA is planning to change the routing from Toronto to Ottawa to serve Peterborough so some of the areas currently served by VIA will lose some service which is why GO would be good for those areas. Also VIA can be better served by operating with less stops and having GO cover that corridor doing all the local stops. 

The CN tracks lasted until the 90s, so it hasn't been 30 years for a direct trip.

The CP tracks were removed back in 2013, so there's no longer a connection from Smiths Falls to Mattawa.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:17 AM, Express691 said:

I didnt know Kowloom Motor Bus had a contract in Eastern Canada

They have nothing to do with Kowloon Motor Bus in HK just simply because they are in RED, or even Metrobus in Mexico which also got a handful of E500 painted in all red as well

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 12:24 PM, 110B West Pickering said:
On 1/14/2022 at 12:00 PM, Shaun said:

Dead Head move?

Likely yard shuffle between Willowbrook and East

I would agree its a yard shuffle, many of the older cars will be shuffled from Whitby and the siding tracks along side the highway near Whitby GO and be moved to Willowbrook so that they can be sent to Thunder Bay for restoration. Especially the ones that haven't been used in 20 or so months. These projects should be happening in the next few months so its likely we will see a lot more short or really long trains that are deadheading along the corridor

On 1/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, Oc4526 said:

Found this in my twitter feed. 

This looks like the image from BlogTO's article.  According to them the vending machines can be found at the (new) Union Station Bus Terminal, Oshawa GO and Burlington GO.

Meanwhile, back to the departure screen updates I came across an article featuring the update to the departure screens at London's Victoria Station.  A useful feature is the expected arrival time at each station along with the train length at the bottom of each departure listing.  There's also another screen with "Next Fastest Train to..." listing all stations served.

image.thumb.png.3aa18c7f73be252943b932162c86b198.png

image.thumb.png.a820f0b3a5234879609ac99c8377bf9f.png

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, G.A said:

Noticed a GO bus with an extra side strobe light on the driver side that only activate when the signal was going and the bus is moving. Could not see the passenger side. I am wondering how many buses have that new light.

Did you have to have a unit number along with your sighting?

2 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Did you have to have a unit number along with your sighting?

Not this time around I was on the city bus heading home. It was on the 33F last night. I will try and snag a photo or a quick video next time as I work downtown.

I don't know if this has been asked or not, if not here I GO (lol)

What is the current status of the 81-82xx double deckers? I'd assume if they're still sitting in the same spot for almost 2 years they'd be in terrible condition

14 minutes ago, Toro said:

What is the current status of the 81-82xx double deckers? I'd assume if they're still sitting in the same spot for almost 2 years they'd be in terrible condition

I saw photos of them in a yard while someone took them from a go train but that was in December, not sure if they’ve been removed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toro said:

8101-8205 have been retired as of last year, some of them have been put up for sale and 8205 is now with Old Québec Tours, some of the bus operators did tell me that the remaining units are parked in various garages awaiting disposal

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Joshuamumble said:

8101-8205 have been retired as of last year, some of them have been put up for sale and 8205 is now with Old Québec Tours, some of the bus operators did tell me that the remaining units are parked in various garages awaiting  disposal

Aww massive rip, I was gonna ask if you knew where they were kept but you mentioned there separated at various garages

9 hours ago, Joshuamumble said:

8101-8205 have been retired as of last year, some of them have been put up for sale and 8205 is now with Old Québec Tours, some of the bus operators did tell me that the remaining units are parked in various garages awaiting disposal

Wow, some of those were only 7-8 years old...I wonder why they got rid of them.