GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

$30 for a trip between Toronto and London is pretty steep. I mean it is comparable between Megabus operating between Toronto Union and University of Western Ontario which charges additional fees for reservation of a seat, booking fees and sales taxes. Of course, being a longer trip taking 4 hours versus 3 hours with Megabus. 

21 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Is there not a monthly pass between Toronto & London?

No. It was eliminated years ago when Presto was introduced and using the loyalty program where you get discounted trips between 1 to 39. After 40 trips, you ride free for the rest of the month being beneficial because of not everyone will travel every day of the month such as December. Only paying for the trips taken by a passenger. 

3 minutes ago, anyfong said:

GO Transit completely lacks monthly passes on its whole network and that's why it's so expensive to commute on it.

Go Transit is pretty much distance based fares. Especially how expensive it is to maintain the kind of network they have between trains and buses. 

Just now, 110B West Pickering said:

Thought they do have an incentive when housing a presto card,

0-30 trips are regular price between two destinations

30-40 are like 90% off

and beyond 40 monthly trips is free.

(i might have the details wrong, but that’s the idea)

For an adult fare, it is 15 percent off the regular paper or e-ticket. Student is 22 percent off and senior is 55 percent off. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised they don't offer monthly passes? You would think a service like what they offer would offer different passes/month for different  $$ based on where you want to travel? If I where GO/Prestro/Metrolinx I would offer a special Prestro Pass $500/month that would be Valid on all transit systems in the GTA,Hamilton,London.

So basicaly from Ajax to London and far west as Barrie.

Not from the GTA so don't know if that's all the transit systems in Southern Ontario or not?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

You would think a service like what they offer would offer different passes/month for different  $$ based on where you want to travel? If I where GO/Prestro/Metrolinx I would offer a special Prestro Pass $500/month that would be Valid on all transit systems in the GTA,Hamilton,London.

Sure, but then you'd run into the traditional problem of a) how much uptake you'd get, especially since very few (if any) people would routinely use enough trips on enough transit agencies to make anything like that worthwhile (even if it's far less than the $500 which I know you just threw out as a concept), and b) how the revenue from that kind of fare would be shared among all the agencies, given that an even split would mean that the agencies that get more use would be at a disadvantage.

There used to be a GTA Weekly Pass (good for Toronto, Peel, and York regions) that was scrapped two years ago. I think the phase-out was intentionally timed to coincide with the TTC converting to a full Presto-only system for the subway but realistically I think it was because all of the partners involved decided they need all the revenue they could get on their own, especially given the cut of the revenue that Metrolinx takes away for Presto (think it was 10% last time I checked?)

9 hours ago, smallspy said:

As has been explained to you already....

They do have a monthly pass. It's baked into the fare system via Presto. Don't have Presto, can't get a monthly pass.

Dan

Just to r-e-i-t-e-r-a-t-e on what the OP says, many municipal transit systems in the GTHA (Greater Toronto and Hamilton) area offer Monthly Passes loaded on PRESTO. 

To my knowledge (and if I had predicted) , you can load as many monthly/weekly passes as you want (i.e. A Durham Region Transit monthly pass and a TTC Monthly Pass) on a single PRESTO Card but for an e-purse, it is usually around $1000CDN as the maximum limit. 

this reply was sent through my Samsung Galaxy S20 smartphone 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chris W said:

Steamy.

Radiant.

Anyhoo, if anyone had passed through Union Station in Toronto recently - they have removed the seating areas (at the York Concourse) as per this tweet (sorry if I had difficulty putting this here):

From what I had heard, they're replacing with some newer, softer seating.

I saw somewhere that GO use the f59PHs for the runs to London because the St. Marys bridge cannot support an MP40/54. Is this true, and I'm wondering if this means the F59s are guaranteed life until the bridge is reinforced, or GO cancels the service.
(Pic from CTV news)

GO trains are coming to London but it's not going to be the quickest trip |  CTV News

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Orion VI said:

I saw somewhere that GO use the f59PHs for the runs to London because the St. Marys bridge cannot support an MP40/54. Is this true, and I'm wondering if this means the F59s are guaranteed life until the bridge is reinforced, or GO cancels the service.
(Pic from CTV news)

GO trains are coming to London but it's not going to be the quickest trip |  CTV News

That is the rumour going around, yes. I have not been able to verify it, and the bridge has handled MP40-sized and greater locos in the recent past.

1 minute ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Wasn't it a double header F59 that did the trip yesterday? 

That trainset is scheduled to have 2 F59s on it for the foreseeable future.

Dan

• Like 2

I heard there is a 3 year pilot project for this London service. I wouldn't be surprised if by the summer there was weekend service. I think there will also be another trip or 2 during the week and possibly even bus service extended down, possibly as an extension of the route 30. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, brianc1981 said:

I heard there is a 3 year pilot project for this London service. I wouldn't be surprised if by the summer there was weekend service. I think there will also be another trip or 2 during the week and possibly even bus service extended down, possibly as an extension of the route 30. 

I can see the 30 being extended to London and possibly another branch of the 25 to Stratford and St Mary’s with more train service from London to Union going 3-4 peak period trips.

17 minutes ago, 3302 said:

I can see the 30 being extended to London and possibly another branch of the 25 to Stratford and St Mary’s with more train service from London to Union going 3-4 peak period trips.

I doubt the 25 or 30 would extend all the way out there. Especially with no washrooms on the buses for a very lomg trip. They would most likely create a new route that starts in Kitchener and works its way to London.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2021 at 2:03 AM, G.A said:

I doubt the 25 or 30 would extend all the way out there. Especially with no washrooms on the buses for a very lomg trip. They would most likely create a new route that starts in Kitchener and works its way to London.

You could do Hamilton to Brantford and then London.

Has anyone installed washrooms on an enviro double decker before? 

I guess having washrooms stops would make more sense.

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

You could do Hamilton to Brantford and then London.

Has anyone installed washrooms on an enviro double decker before? 

I guess having washrooms stops would make more sense.

Maybe a Hamilton-Kitchener-London route just to build some extra connectivity into the network?  Presumably the Kitchener to London segment would also serve the same intermediate stops as the train.

As for washroom stops, if they were built into the schedule at major hubs (where facilities exist) would likely benefit both passengers and drivers.

Would London-based routes get their own set of numbers?  (Lakeshore West corridor = 10s, Milton = 20s, Kitchener = 30s, 407 West = 40s, 407 East = 50s, Barrie/Richmond Hill = 60s, Stouffville = 70s, "Kawartha" - Port Perry/Beaverton, Peterborough = 80s, Lakeshore East = 90s) Seeing as these would be the first set of routes not based in the GTA using the 100s seems appropriate.  Then again there are some corridors with only one route (71) while the 30s and 40s are almost all used up.

• Like 1