GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

56 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Well....it's not something that I (or someone else would consider launching - reminds me when I did a grassroots campaign for the Ontario government demanding to offer a non-drivers photo ID card in the form of a Facebook group (which has since been shuttered) coupled by a petition launched by a former MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) of Ontario. My campaign along with the other remains separate for unrelated reasons - please leave your political opinions where they belong).

Was there a period of time between the Ontario age of majority card and the Ontario photo ID card where there was nothing except driver's licenses?

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Was there a period of time between the Ontario age of majority card and the Ontario photo ID card where there was nothing except driver's licenses?

I don't think so because LCBO is still issuing the BYID (bring your own identification) card currently. Of course it is a challenge to get it accepted since it doesn't show the address or other identifying info other than proof of age and photo. 

The Ontario Photo ID card came into effect July 2011 which is more standard and similar to a driver's license except the colour is purple. With some businesses such as banks being strict and not providing any info or process a transaction without valid photo ID. To verify the accountholder and cross-referencing with the correct documents.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 12:51 PM, brianc1981 said:

I think this will be announced soon so customers can get ready for the launch. I heard it’s 2 trips per day in each direction. Plus an extended route 30 bus. The 29 and 25 buses are supposed to go to Kipling at the same time. There is also apparently going to be a bus from Guelph to Kitchener and London. Possibly stopping in Woodstock. Another change that’s coming will be more service to Guelph from Hamilton and Aldershot. 

Based on the upcoming schedule change for September 4, 2021 the 29 GUELPH/MISSISSAUGA will have all trips originate from Kipling (so does the route name get updated to GUELPH/ETOBICOKE?) but not the 25 WATERLOO/MISSISSAUGA meaning people either catch GO's 29 or one of the many MiWay routes running between Kipling and Square One.  I don't know if having both the Guelph and Waterloo services terminate at Kipling would be redundant or if another route on perhaps a different corridor got the slot at Kipling.  I somehow doubt the 21 MILTON will get a branch to Kipling if they're not even serving Dixie on weekends and holidays.  There's no indication on the updated 31 KITCHENER corridor about a service extension further west.

Unless they're planning on making those extension later this fall, I have a feeling that it may be something Ford trots out closer to the Provincial Election next June to try and secure some seats.  Plus, it'd make for additional promo material for places you can get away to on GO Transit with London and possibly Stratford added to the list.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:35 PM, G.A said:

About time they are on the road. Transsee is tracking a few new ones on the road.

Agreed, they had been sitting at Wajax for a while earlier in the summer. 

I'm still curious as to why these come with no rear engine grill; even later 8400s that came with the grill have it all paneled up. My guess is the grit kicking up in the back...

5 hours ago, Downsview34. said:

My Stouffville line train is running 10 cars today. Can't remember the last time I've seen them run that much on this line.

Especially on a weekend too. I can understand 6 or 8 cars running outside of peak periods. Maybe the long weekend, they expect more usage noting with the weekend passes available increasing ridership.

I remember the times when I took the 68D with the double decker, there were a few people who took up the $10 one day option or $15 two day option. Except for long weekends, it covers three days. Pretty reasonable for how much distance someone can travel for one fixed price. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Downsview34. said:

Not sure if anyone has seen the seating arrangement in the new SuperLo's yet. But here's a pic inside 8533

20210904_182350.jpg

Interesting that it features seatbelts now. I wonder if this would be easy to refit on previous buses or not.

25 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

There was a GO Email that said with the new DD Buses  withseat belts that passengers will be required to wear them  do to some new law? If true not sure how GO will enforce it?

I just rode one tonight.  Aside from the lower level seating configuration, the dividers between seat (when they were present) were only at the head level and not down the entire length of the seat separating the two.  A bilingual announcement comes on shortly after the bus left Union asking people to buckle up, it's the law.  You then heard a few people complying.  The couple sitting behind me seemed to think that if they don't need seat belts on the older buses why do they need to wear them now.  I'd love to see random checks to try and scare people into complying.  Now who would be liable, GO Transit or the passenger for not wearing their seat belt in the event of an accident?  The whole seat belt stems from the bus crash that killed several players and staff of the Humboldt Broncos hockey team.

Another feature of the new buses is a USB charger at each seat.  It's on the back of the seat in front of you.  The positioning of the seat dividers unfortunately means you need to feel underneath it to find it.

40 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

There was a GO Email that said with the new DD Buses  withseat belts that passengers will be required to wear them  do to some new law? If true not sure how GO will enforce it?

Here's an article some what detailing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.metrolinx.com/2021/09/02/new-buses-added-to-the-go-transit-fleet-this-september-to-include-seatbelts/amp/

17 minutes ago, anyfong said:

Anyway, on the other hand there's a mention on the wiki of 2 electric double deckers on order. Since they haven't been built yet should the build year be 2021 instead of 2020?

I think both have been built. A while back I was doomscrolling through ADLs Twitter and there was some random press shot with a SuperLo, but just from the side shot it looked a little different judging by some non-standard access panels. And I think there was also a post confirming that both had been built. I think they’re sporting a new electric axle built by Allison, so needless to say they’re probably being tested thoroughly. 

20 hours ago, Downsview34. said:

My Stouffville line train is running 10 cars today. Can't remember the last time I've seen them run that much on this line.

Most trains on most of the lines will be extended up to 10 cars over the next month or two. It will take some time to clean and prep the cars that have been sitting, and to cycle all of the trainsets through either of the two maintenance facilities.

Dan

• Like 1

• Root Admin
On 9/5/2021 at 12:40 AM, anyfong said:

Would love it if someone could come across them and get some photos.

There's also photos of the EV demo, but it's the regular height version (like OC Transpo)

https://twitter.com/ADLbus/status/1424973841739231232/photo/2

Here is my shot of 4001 over a year ago on the QEW westbound through Burlington.

IMG_0127.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/4/2021 at 10:18 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

I think both have been built. A while back I was doomscrolling through ADLs Twitter and there was some random press shot with a SuperLo, but just from the side shot it looked a little different judging by some non-standard access panels. And I think there was also a post confirming that both had been built. I think they’re sporting a new electric axle built by Allison, so needless to say they’re probably being tested thoroughly. 

So basically instead of a differential gear box it's an electric motor?  

6 hours ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

I heard Go Transit will only use the F59PHs along with 6 coaches until one of the Bridges on the Halton sub is replaced or upgraded for London, is this correct? Or no?

Not the Halton sub - GO is already using it, except the piece from Georgetown to Burlington - and as far as I know, they aren't planning service on that piece.

Isn't the troublesome bridge on the Guelph Subdivision - presumably west of Kitchener.