GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

7 hours ago, smallspy said:

The idea has been around far longer than 2007.

Hell, when GO started running buses in 1970, they were originally contracted out to two companies. They brought it in-house a couple of years later, once they realized that the bus service was a good idea.

Dan

Before my time 

One track on the Campa sub is complete and connected to the main line.  The other track needs some work yet. 

The industrial siding to the west of the cross overs got a dwarf signal, to enter the main line.  Is that going to be required going forward? Makes sense from a safety perspective. 

PXL_20210705_204051668.MP.jpg

Signal picture

PXL_20210705_204020918.MP.jpg

23 hours ago, smallspy said:

Then maybe you should do some reading before trying to proclaim yourself an expert?

Dan

Who said I was an expert as it wasn't me nor want to be one??.........................You on the other hand make yourself out as Mr. Know All..................Please keep on reading and researching for us since you seam to have the time.

39 minutes ago, drum118 said:

Who said I was an expert as it wasn't me nor want to be one??.........................You on the other hand make yourself out as Mr. Know All..................Please keep on reading and researching for us since you seam to have the time.

"Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

-Someone far smarter than I

• Like 1

Go Transit is offering a weekend pass for one day, two day and the long weekends and holiday (one day). Link here: https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/07/06/metrolinx-announces-weekend-pass-to-get-riders-moving-and-exploring-again-as-ontario-begins-to-leave-pandemic-behind/

A way to help regain ridership especially with a reduction of around 90 percent during the peak of COVID-19 along with stay at home orders. Especially how expensive Go Transit can be getting around. $7.50/day for the weekend pass covering two days. Only available by e-ticket right now.

I remember when I used to take Go Transit on the Sunday Funday pass first introduced being only $10, it was pretty handy not having to calculate the fare between two different destinations. Just have to show to the transit operator on the bus or show on the phone if asked for proof of payment. 

A few times every the last couple weeks, through the GO E News alerts, there'd been unplanned track inspections at the same time, on both the Barrie and Stouffville lines at around the midday.

When it happened the first time, I thought it was weird. Twice more and I'm thinking that it was a ln error in the system. Thoughts?

13 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

A few times every the last couple weeks, through the GO E News alerts, there'd been unplanned track inspections at the same time, on both the Barrie and Stouffville lines at around the midday.

When it happened the first time, I thought it was weird. Twice more and I'm thinking that it was a ln error in the system. Thoughts?

Frequently, it's due to bridge strikes.

For instance, there was another one early yesterday afternoon at Ray Ave.

Dan

13 hours ago, John Oke said:

What strikes it? Trains, vehicles or something else? 

If a train struck it, that would indicate that a train had derailed, and considering the locations of most of the bridges on the network, those derailments would thus be happening with a reasonable amount of speed - and so don't you think that we'd hear about that?

15 hours ago, nfitz said:

Interesting - I'd have guessed heat.

Heat inspections are necessary when the temperature reaches 29C or so, and happen network-wide. The more specifically localized ones are for things like bridge strikes or broken rails.

Dan

On 7/8/2021 at 9:41 AM, smallspy said:

Frequently, it's due to bridge strikes.

For instance, there was another one early yesterday afternoon at Ray Ave.

Dan

Just to reiterate this....

There was another bridge strike at Bloor this morning.

Dan

It amuses me how many idiots there are who dont know the height of the vehicles that they operate, along with the potential clearance issues of their loads.

I think it's time the city looks into this issue more seriously, to avoid a Burlington Skyway type incident. It's clear those cute height caution signs dont do much, and it's only a matter of time before we have an incident where service is severely crippled for days by this kind of event.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 10:38 PM, Gil said:

Is Metrolinx redundantly trying to recreate the wheel with this pilot project at Mimico and Danforth stations?

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/03/04/getting-on-board-metrolinx-launches-new-signage-pilot-program-to-make-catching-your-train-even-easier/

boarding-signage-story-with-these-photos-rob-took-at-danforth-go-e1614861720551.jpg?w=769

Instead of duplicating the existing (blue) signage with a different colour for each possible train length couldn't they just explain what the signs mean or even make them more prominent since they're now intended for more broader use?  The other half that isn't mentioned in the article is whether or not the departure screens will indicate the length of the train so that passengers know where to wait using the signage.  Are there any Danforth or Mimico users who can confirm whether the departure screens actually display this vital information?

I finally managed to check out Mimico station, the departure screens don't display how long the train is, which resulted in people running to get onto a 6-car train (the entrance is at the west end of the platform, while the train takes up the east half of the platform).

During the weekend Gardiner closure with the Milton and Kitchener buses rerouted to Port Credit there were repeated announcements that the trains would be short (6-cars) and that eastbound passengers should move east of the elevators.  As I've mentioned there's already existing signage indicating the position of each car at most if not all stations.  Why not just point them out and indicate on the departure board the length of the train?  Especially at Union with the new screens instead of having someone directing people down the platform toward the shortened train.  There's enough room on the departure board to add a column indicating the train length.

IMG_20210710_1831412.jpg

• Like 1

York University Go Station to close permanently to make room for adding additional tracks. 

The writing was on the wall for many years noting that service to York University Go Station was reduced once Downsview Go Station opened providing a connection to the subway (Line 1 Yonge-University). Walk to York University from the Go Train station being around 20 minutes or taking the shuttle bus.

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/07/19/york-university-go-station-closes-to-make-way-for-barrie-line-expansion/?fbclid=IwAR20xx_LR4nEA3q506apD9OLyhWVBDlOelS-9gdAU1s03vyTYou5DmlAHEA

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

York University Go Station to close permanently to make room for adding additional tracks. 

The writing was on the wall for many years noting that service to York University Go Station was reduced once Downsview Go Station opened providing a connection to the subway (Line 1 Yonge-University). Walk to York University from the Go Train station being around 20 minutes or taking the shuttle bus.

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/07/19/york-university-go-station-closes-to-make-way-for-barrie-line-expansion/?fbclid=IwAR20xx_LR4nEA3q506apD9OLyhWVBDlOelS-9gdAU1s03vyTYou5DmlAHEA

Those who complain and are against closing are the ones that can't afford another $100+ a month to ride on the TTC for 10 minutes everyday onto of the GO fare. TYSSE was suppose to make transit easier but instead forced YRT and GO users to make an extra transfer AND pay an additional fare. Walking is not even an option for people from Downsview Park to Your U. TTC was suppose to waive this fare for York U students but they decided to screw them over.

A lot of UT or Ryerson students walk to Union to avoid paying TTC cause they can't afford it. However for York U students, the walk from GO buses at Highway 407 Station or GO trains at Downsview Park isn't exactly pleasing, especially during winters or at night.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

For some reason, this video comes to mind when I think of York University Station.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 7:13 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Gotta love the Metrolinx fluff pieces like this.

So yes, they're closing the station. That was always known, and it was frankly just a matter of time before they pulled the trigger.

But they're not demolishing it. It's not in the way of anything right now. They'll simply remove the fare equipment from the platform, take down the shelters and benches, throw out some signage and put a gate with a lock across the access walkway.

Dan

All day Go Train service coming to Hamilton's West Harbour going directly to Union effective August 7th. 

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/07/26/all-day-go-train-service-coming-to-hamilton-this-summer/?fbclid=IwAR3V8i3F1pl3wJ3ygSgmKx9j4fIV2LFJ8ZC_rbDYZzMEzKTRGz7BweFlHb8

Hours of operation for the extension to Hamilton on hourly frequency:

Weekday from West Harbour to Union: 5:13 AM until 10:13 PM

Weekday from Union to West Harbour: 6:45 AM until 11:45 PM

Weekends from West Harbour to Union: 8:13 AM until 11:13 PM

Weekends from Union to West Harbour: 8:45 AM until 12:45 AM

Testing and training will be done between July 31st to August 6th. Train will stop, but doors will NOT open. 

Other service changes on the train line effective August 7th for weekend service. Weekday service change will take effect August 9th. Most of the bus trips that replaced train service have now been phased out except for the one 68D trip on weekday mornings and weekend departures for 68D which will continue to run. 

Lakeshore West:

• Hamilton Go Centre departures reinstated with 6:45 AM and 7:45 AM to Union. 3:30 PM and 4 PM from Union to Hamilton Go Centre.
  • 15 minute rush hour and mid-day service resuming August 9th between Union and Oakville Go Stations. 5:18 AM until late afternoon going eastbound from Oakville
  • 7:15 AM until late afternoon westbound from Union. 

Lakeshore East: 15 minute frequency restored between Union and Oshawa Go Station

• 5:10 AM until late afternoon westbound from Oshawa Go Station 
  • 6:10 AM until late afternoon eastbound from Union 

Kitchener: Select weekday departures restored

• 8:39 PM departure from Kitchener Go Station arriving at 10:28 PM to Union Station (eastbound)
  • 8:40 PM departure from Mount Pleasant Go arriving at 9:28 PM to Union Station (eastbound)
  • 7:34 PM and 8:34 PM from Union to Mount Pleasant Go arriving at 8:23 PM and 9:23 PM (westbound) 
  • 9:34 PM departure from Union to Kitchener arriving at 11:28 PM (westbound)

Stouffville: Select weekday departures and weekend all day train service restored

• 5:28 AM Lincolnville Go departure towards Union (southbound)
  • Four trips: 7:35 PM, 8:35 PM, 9:35 PM and 10:35 PM from Mount Joy towards Union (southbound)
  • 6:14 PM trip to Lincolnville Go Station from Union will instead be adjusted to end at Mount Joy (northbound)
  • Three departures: 7:14 PM, 8:14 PM and 9:14 PM from Union Station to Mount Joy (northbound)
  • Two departures: 10:14 PM and 11:14 PM from Union Station to Lincolnville Go Station (northbound)
  • Weekend train service between Union and Mount Joy on hourly schedule with select departures extended to Lincolnville Go Station

Barrie: Select weekday departures and weekend all day train service restored on August 14th

• 9:57 AM from Aurora to Union will instead start at Bradford departing at 9:36 AM (southbound)
  • 7:57 PM and 8:57 PM departure from Aurora Go Station towards Union (southbound)
  • 9:08 PM departure from Allandale Waterfront Go Station to Union (southbound)
  • 6:53 PM, 7:53 PM and 8:53 PM departure from Union to Aurora Go (northbound)
  • 9:53 PM departure from Union towards Allandale (northbound)
  • 10:53 PM departure from Union towards Bradford (northbound)
  • Weekend train service to resume hourly service to resume between Aurora and Union with select trips extended to Allandale Waterfront 

Reason why expanded weekend service is a week later on the Barrie line is due to work being done which trains will be replaced by bus service on August 7th and 8th. 68D is still operating which gets a fair bit of demand for those that want to avoid all the other stops and take the direct route. Running every 3 hours being reasonable when trains were not operating. The biggest challenge is once reaching the DVP and Gardiner (depending on which route is taken) is when the traffic congestion gets really heavy. Taking a bit more time depending on traffic conditions. 

• Like 1

This is good to see. Hopefully it means a little bit of the expansion plans from last September that were put on hold get implemented soon. The West Harbour extension is a good thing, although I have seen people on Facebook angry that it is West Harbour and not Hamilton Go Centre but the reason it is West Harbour is because it is on the way towards Niagara and there is plans to extend service to all day 7 days a week going to Niagara within a couple years. So this is just the first logical step. Hopefully in the next few months we see some later service on the Barrie Line 7 days a week and more frequent service on the Kitchener line going later in the day and on weekends

3 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Lakeshore West:

• 15 minute rush hour and mid-day service resuming August 9th between Union and Oakville Go Stations. 5:18 AM until late afternoon going eastbound from Oakville

That's a first isn't it? In 2019 it was still running 3 times an hour with a 30-minute gap. Or was there an early 2020 schedule I forgot about, that didn't last long with Covid.

17 hours ago, nfitz said:

That's a first isn't it? In 2019 it was still running 3 times an hour with a 30-minute gap. Or was there an early 2020 schedule I forgot about, that didn't last long with Covid.

They rejigged the schedules some time ago - shortly after the original service cutbacks at the beginning of the pandemic - to allow them to run a half-hourly service to Oakville. This was at the same time that they went away from the :13/:43 timings at Union.

Dan