GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Which buses have special ads at the moment? I know of 8452 (pride bus) and 8494 (Christmas bus). I think 8367 is the Honda Indy bus? Does anyone know of any others?

2607 has the Kids GO Free, 8452 is Pride, 8467 Racing Bus & 8494 Happy Traveldays. There are a stack of MCI's with some small wraps on the passenger side at the rear.

51 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Has anyone seen or ridden any sub 2400 CATs recently? I've only been seeing above 2400, both in person and on tracker. Its been a few weeks since I've seen one, aside from 2396 two weeks ago. Need to get my audio recordings while I can lol

2396 is retired. There are currently 22 2400s tracking in service on TransSee right now. 2402 being the lowest number.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TTC 9701 said:

2607 has the Kids GO Free, 8452 is Pride, 8467 Racing Bus & 8494 Happy Traveldays. There are a stack of MCI's with some small wraps on the passenger side at the rear.

2396 is retired. There are currently 22 2400s tracking in service on TransSee right now. 2402 being the lowest number.

Im sorry pal, but you get today’s award for greatest non-answer.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Im sorry pal, but you get today’s award for greatest non-answer.

How so, you asked about Cat powered buses and since there aren’t any below the 2400s left he told you about the 2400s which includes 2400-2419

2402,04,09,15 are currently out and CAT powered Which could of easily been found via transsee 

On 12/13/2019 at 12:39 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

Has anyone seen or ridden any sub 2400 CATs recently? I've only been seeing above 2400, both in person and on tracker. Its been a few weeks since I've seen one, aside from 2396 two weeks ago. Need to get my audio recordings while I can lol

From what I’ve been told, the rest of the 2300s were retired by the second half of November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were discussing the Confederation station in Hamilton a while ago so I thought I'd give an update.  Now that exams and marking is over, I got together with a friend of mine who's a prof at Niagara College and we met up in East Hamilton since that was geographically convenient for the two of us.  I took the opportunity to swing by the new train station on the way home since it was nearby and it really is starting to look like a Go train station.  The little parking lot's paved and lines are marked, the bus loop is in place, the bike shed's in place, pretty much everything except for the station building and the platforms.  Even the sign at the intersection of Centennial Parkway and the cross street the station's on is lit up.

The two things that surprised me were one, someone was sitting in the bus shelter at 9:30 PM on a weeknight even though there's no service there.  Security maybe?  Whoever it was, they were quite surprised when I looped my truck through the parking lot to take a look.  The other thing that surprised me (sort of - more later) was that there's a pay phone that appears to be hooked up and working.  Occasionally you see news articles about how the declining number of pay phones is a problem for people that don't have cell phones so seeing a newly installed one is a rare example of seeing the trend towards removal getting bucked.  That said, there's definitely a case for them in public transportation stations where people might need to call friends/family/taxis for a ride regardless of whether or not they have a cell phone and are important from a public safety perspective in terms of being available to get a 911 call out if there's an emergency at the station which is why I wasn't as surprised to see this new pay phone at the new Go train station as I would've been if it had turned up elsewhere.

If they get the platforms poured and some Presto machines installed and drop a temporary trailer for a ticket office while the main building's being built, they could start train service out of there in the early new year.

13 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

We were discussing the Confederation station in Hamilton a while ago so I thought I'd give an update.  Now that exams and marking is over, I got together with a friend of mine who's a prof at Niagara College and we met up in East Hamilton since that was geographically convenient for the two of us.  I took the opportunity to swing by the new train station on the way home since it was nearby and it really is starting to look like a Go train station.  The little parking lot's paved and lines are marked, the bus loop is in place, the bike shed's in place, pretty much everything except for the station building and the platforms.  Even the sign at the intersection of Centennial Parkway and the cross street the station's on is lit up.

The two things that surprised me were one, someone was sitting in the bus shelter at 9:30 PM on a weeknight even though there's no service there.  Security maybe?  Whoever it was, they were quite surprised when I looped my truck through the parking lot to take a look.  The other thing that surprised me (sort of - more later) was that there's a pay phone that appears to be hooked up and working.  Occasionally you see news articles about how the declining number of pay phones is a problem for people that don't have cell phones so seeing a newly installed one is a rare example of seeing the trend towards removal getting bucked.  That said, there's definitely a case for them in public transportation stations where people might need to call friends/family/taxis for a ride regardless of whether or not they have a cell phone and are important from a public safety perspective in terms of being available to get a 911 call out if there's an emergency at the station which is why I wasn't as surprised to see this new pay phone at the new Go train station as I would've been if it had turned up elsewhere.

If they get the platforms poured and some Presto machines installed and drop a temporary trailer for a ticket office while the main building's being built, they could start train service out of there in the early new year.

No way in the early new year as there is no tracks there, other than the 2 main line on a bend to the south of where the tracks are to go. To get a platform in would be summer 2020 and a centre one with elevators fall.

Parking lot small and haft full for a week day over a week ago

Nov 26

49179985471_903795119e_b.jpg49179496898_bc1c9e8a2d_b.jpg49180196677_a65c4c59bf_b.jpg49179500288_37a5baecb4_b.jpg49179502598_0ec5e60d14_b.jpg49180200052_2993da8a54_b.jpg49179984236_a0aac86328_b.jpg

July 10

48318756457_1c3967bc67_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 11:45 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Like I said they’ll probably replace it with the 91 full time instead.

im also not saying this is certain, but the region of Durham  and their DRT planning staff seem to think it is

I don't even see the TTC creating another 140-series Downtown Express route to correspond the LAKESHORE EAST line between Union and Rouge Hill GO Stns. if the 90 gets canned.  Unless GO and TTC will pony up any ideas long term.

8 hours ago, Express Network said:

I don't even see the TTC creating another 140-series Downtown Express route to correspond the LAKESHORE EAST line between Union and Rouge Hill GO Stns. if the 90 gets canned.  Unless GO and TTC will pony up any ideas long term.

GO 90 runs from Newcastle to Oshawa. The 90B runs express from Pickering to Union, but doesn't come near Rouge Hill - and only runs between 1 AM and and 5 AM. 

Not sure what Rouge Hill service you are thinking of - but surely the train would be optimum from that location.

4 hours ago, Shemar said:

The GO train cars in the 200-series that were converted into regular coaches (200-222, 225-250, 252) will be renumbered the 2900-series.

Any idea how long they are leaving 251, 253-257 as cab cars for?

20 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Any idea how long they are leaving 251, 253-257 as cab cars for?

Those will most likely remain as cab cars for now unless they order more CEM cab cars. Seems like that big order of CEM cab cars, commuter coaches, and accessible coaches are complete. The highest CEM cab car in the 300-series is 380, the highest commuter coach in the 4000/4100-series is 4194, the highest accessible coach in the 4500-series is 4528.

12 minutes ago, Shemar said:

Those will most likely remain as cab cars for now unless they order more CEM cab cars. Seems like that big order of CEM cab cars, commuter coaches, and accessible coaches are complete. The highest CEM cab car in the 300-series is 380, the highest commuter coach in the 4000/4100-series is 4194, the highest accessible coach in the 4500-series is 4528.

The big order is complete, but there is at least one smaller one - 5 accessible coaches and 31 regular coaches - still to arrive.

Dan

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

I'm curious why the new locos are still being coupled together?

Plus, have they been seen on other lines other than the Lakeshores?

Ive caught a coupled unit on the Kitchener line a few months ago. So they do go on other lines.

7 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I'm curious why the new locos are still being coupled together?

Plus, have they been seen on other lines other than the Lakeshores?

The new locos usually are required to run a number of kms before they can run on their own but since there are currently more locos than cab cars, it will most likely stay like this for a while.

I've seen some of the new locos on the Stouffville line before.

1 hour ago, Shemar said:

The new locos usually are required to run a number of kms before they can run on their own but since there are currently more locos than cab cars, it will most likely stay like this for a while.

That would normally be the case when a new locomotive is delivered. But in the case with the MP54s, however, they have long since passed this nominal mileage.

No, they are still sorting out bugs with the units. MPI has dropped quite a few software revisions in order to get the things running as they are supposed to, and they are close. The units are reliable - that's why they are out every day - but apparently they are still working on things like the auto start-stop sequencing and engine management systems.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

That would normally be the case when a new locomotive is delivered. But in the case with the MP54s, however, they have long since passed this nominal mileage.

No, they are still sorting out bugs with the units. MPI has dropped quite a few software revisions in order to get the things running as they are supposed to, and they are close. The units are reliable - that's why they are out every day - but apparently they are still working on things like the auto start-stop sequencing and engine management systems.

Dan

How much emissions do the MP54s produce compared to the MP40s?

Metrolinx considers paid parking for GO station lots

I happened across this one while I was perusing the CBC News website this morning.  So after years of hiking fares by about 7% until recently, the loss of the 15% public transportation tax credit, lots of whinging and moaning about 'the last mile' getting people to Go stations but classic lack of action about actually doing something about local feeder transit service, Metrolinx has settled on the classic fallback showing that agency's true colours of its roots and legacy of being a Dalton McGuinty/Kathleen Wynne abomination: make it more expensive.  As if fares aren't high enough as it is.  As if those aren't going to continue to rise.

Seriously, does anybody actually believe this crap about how they're only studying the possibility of charging for parking and nothing firm's been decided?  I call BS.  They've decided to charge for parking.  They're only sorting the details about the specifics of how and when it's going to be phased in.

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Metrolinx considers paid parking for GO station lots

I happened across this one while I was perusing the CBC News website this morning.  So after years of hiking fares by about 7% until recently, the loss of the 15% public transportation tax credit, lots of whinging and moaning about 'the last mile' getting people to Go stations but classic lack of action about actually doing something about local feeder transit service, Metrolinx has settled on the classic fallback showing that agency's true colours of its roots and legacy of being a Dalton McGuinty/Kathleen Wynne abomination: make it more expensive.  As if fares aren't high enough as it is.  As if those aren't going to continue to rise.

Seriously, does anybody actually believe this crap about how they're only studying the possibility of charging for parking and nothing firm's been decided?  I call BS.  They've decided to charge for parking.  They're only sorting the details about the specifics of how and when it's going to be phased in.

So drop fares a bit at the same time. Everyone who does not park at a station gets a break. If you park, you wind up paying more.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

So drop fares a bit at the same time. Everyone who does not park at a station gets a break. If you park, you wind up paying more.

Bingo. The idea here seems to solve the parking shortage, rather than generate revenue. So with reports that many stations have 80% of riders parking, if they charge $5 for parking, and reduce the daily fare by $4, they should break even.

Which adds 50 cents to the average trip cost.

With the increase in available capacity, perhaps they can even make money simply by having more riders.

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

Bingo. The idea here seems to solve the parking shortage, rather than generate revenue.

I understand that but how much do I trust them to forego the potential revenue?  Even taking your example of a $5 parking charge minus a $4 fare reduction, the net increase of $1 works out to almost a 10% fare hike and meanwhile nowhere in any of the articles has Metrolinx addressed the last mile local transit issue in the context of adding parking fees.  On the contrary, I can think of a total of three Go train stations that Metrolinx won't be serving with LRT now.