GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

7 hours ago, Wonka said:

Kinda seems pointless to me when the regular route 12 already serves a stop at the Niagara College NOTL campus virtually across the street. It's $20 less if you don't mind crossing the street and walking across the parking lot.

I think that some people will opt for the more direct route.  Think about if you have kids or a stroller, it's much easier for a direct route. 

Also keep in consideration, that more than 50% of GO users use the system as an alternative to driving. They can drive but they choose not to, unlike the TTC.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Also keep in consideration, that more than 50% of GO users use the system as an alternative to driving. They can drive but they choose not to, unlike the TTC.

Ancedotally, TTC has a lot of choice users as well - at least for those of us living in the streetcar suburbs.

What are the TTC numbers?

17 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I'm pretty sure there's already a shuttle doing that trip. I've seen a few Prevosts with IKON wraps all over them. 

If you have a car, the drive is worth it. Hwy 18 through Mono Mills/Hockley Valley is great paired with some good music. Can't stand the 400. 

These guys do trips to Blue Mountain from Toronto daily. You can also take the greyhound bus, not sure if you can put Skii's in the luggage bay.

http://auctours.ca/shuttle.html

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 8:47 PM, TTC 9701 said:

2396 may not be coming back to service after today. Quite interesting to have this happen. While on the 33 to Mount Pleasant, I noticed 2396 having quite the hard time chugging to Rockwood. As soon as we made the right turn onto the main drag in Rockwood, the bus shuts off in the middle of the turn. The driver did what any driver would do. Wait a few seconds and restart it. We continuted for about almost 2 minutes before the bus shuts off again midflight. The supervisor had a bus waiting at Georgetown GO. The bus had shut off around 30 times before we reached Georgetown GO. We switched to the other bus and he trade off driver was told to drive it back to Streetsville... To why they said that when it should have just been towed back I dont know. But that bus will probably not be seeing service for a bit or never. But on the bright side.. I missed the GO Train by 2 seconds.

FYI saw it chugging to Trinity Common today.

: )

21 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

If you have a car, the drive is worth it. Hwy 18 through Mono Mills/Hockley Valley is great paired with some good music. Can't stand the 400. 

You're referring to Airport Rd?  If so, I definitely second it.  Shortly after I got my license and bought my first car, I took that thing out on the backroads with a friend of mine and wound up in Collingwood in the early evening.  It was a Monday, all the tourists were gone and the British pub had a great day-of-week special prime rib dinner that was beautiful and reasonably priced.  We took Airport Rd for the trip back down after and it was a wonderful drive.

The 400 sucks especially if you get stuck in cottage traffic.  Having some back roads routes in your pocket for when you have time to avoid the QEW and 400 series highways is a must in my book.

31 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

You're referring to Airport Rd?  If so, I definitely second it.  Shortly after I got my license and bought my first car, I took that thing out on the backroads with a friend of mine and wound up in Collingwood in the early evening.  It was a Monday, all the tourists were gone and the British pub had a great day-of-week special prime rib dinner that was beautiful and reasonably priced.  We took Airport Rd for the trip back down after and it was a wonderful drive.

The 400 sucks especially if you get stuck in cottage traffic.  Having some back roads routes in your pocket for when you have time to avoid the QEW and 400 series highways is a must in my book.

Indeed, Airport rd becomes 18. Honestly, the slight elevation changes and the twists here and there are much better than getting there 20 mins earlier (if even) via the 400. As long as you have the balls to overtake car(s), 18 is great. 

My road trips are almost always on the 401, so I prefer to leave at 5am or after 7pm. No in between; I've had my fair share of 2-lane 401 traffic. Happy to take this discussion out of this thread.

Does anyone know when the Yorkdale-401 WB Collector ramp will reopen? Its been closed for a few months now; couldn't find anything online as to when it'll reopen. Delays every GO bus going WB 5-10 mins (aside from 34) b/c of the detour through Dufferin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Indeed, Airport rd becomes 18. Honestly, the slight elevation changes and the twists here and there are much better than getting there 20 mins earlier (if even) via the 400. As long as you have the balls to overtake car(s), 18 is great. 

My road trips are almost always on the 401, so I prefer to leave at 5am or after 7pm. No in between; I've had my fair share of 2-lane 401 traffic. Happy to take this discussion out of this thread.

Does anyone know when the Yorkdale-401 WB Collector ramp will reopen? Its been closed for a few months now; couldn't find anything online as to when it'll reopen. Delays every GO bus going WB 5-10 mins (aside from 34) b/c of the detour through Dufferin.

It should be open soon by the looks of it.  

Back on Tuesday of this week, for the first time using Bramalea GO to get the 46 GO bus heading west.

I noticed something significant.

The GO buses going westbound 25F, 30, 31, 32, 36, 46, 47 and 48 to exit using Steeles having their stops closest to the tracks and the Steeles overpass.

I wasn't able to see where any of the eastbound 31, 32, 36, 46, 47 or 48 stopped at.

All I could tell was the massive parking garage that's being built on the former bus loop and eastbound buses heading there.

Anyone who's more familiar with the Bramalea GO redesign have any insight?

On 11/23/2019 at 2:33 PM, Shaun said:

It's great to see that there are plans to increase service to Kitchener. How about making it easier to connect to London from Kitchener? And then onwards west to Windsor? 

It would make sense for VIA to meet at Kitchener and allow customers to continue west or come from the west and transfer in Kitchener. 

Would they need to expand the station and expand the track?

Isn't that part of the plans for the multi-modal station/ terminal that would service GRT, VIA, GO, and access to ION?

6 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Back on Tuesday of this week, for the first time using Bramalea GO to get the 46 GO bus heading west.

I noticed something significant.

The GO buses going westbound 25F, 30, 31, 32, 36, 46, 47 and 48 to exit using Steeles having their stops closest to the tracks and the Steeles overpass.

I wasn't able to see where any of the eastbound 31, 32, 36, 46, 47 or 48 stopped at.

All I could tell was the massive parking garage that's being built on the former bus loop and eastbound buses heading there.

Anyone who's more familiar with the Bramalea GO redesign have any insight?

https://www.gotransit.com/en/the-future-go/improvements/bramalea

On 8/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, Bus_Medic said:

It’s been my experience that almost all of them are snapped up at auction and live second lives all over North America. Being sold off reasonably early in their designed service lives helps, and I think there’s a broader market for them vs. a transit coach of the same vintage.

having said that, prospects are bleak for the two hybrids, being rather rare configurations, and most churches, sports teams and independent operators don’t have deep enough pockets to keep something like that roadworthy, never mind their local maintenance provider not having any hands on experience with them.

Bingo!  I'm really curious who can fix the Hybrids as a 2nd hand bus, otherwise expect to be a shed sitting in a field!

And 3001 was retired as of September of this year!

On 8/26/2019 at 1:52 PM, TTC 9701 said:

8199 is refurbished. Is there any reason why the 2015 batch is being done before the batch previous to them?

It was a collision victim that almost torn the upper deck!

Along with 8201 and 8203, both have repainted due to poor paint quality from the factory!

On 11/20/2019 at 6:18 AM, Doppelkupplung said:

The ceiling definitely isn’t. Fabric doesn’t reflect. That’s why I posted the dark photo up there, and even in the first one you can see the reflection.

The ducting is indeed fabric like I said.

For those who where wondering what unit the Traveldays wrap is, it’s 8494. Saw it at sq1 today on the 40 or 47 can’t remember.

Around the ceiling area, yes they are fabric!  However, with cheap water based glue only last few years, they are sagging out!

On 11/5/2019 at 9:56 PM, Joshuamumble said:

Sadly, all good things disappear and in this case, Streetsville isn't likely sending 2396 out again if the engine would have to be restarted multiple times along the route

And the bus is retired!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, general682002 said:

Along with 8201 and 8203, both have repainted due to poor paint quality from the factory!

That explains it. I did see 8203 a few hours ago. I seen 2396 on the 33 a while ago so it did make it back out before it got pulled.

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Interesting to see that all the destination signs of the GO Buses I’ve seen today are still using the #santasotherride sign as opposed to the new #happytraveldays.

Its not too significant but I am curious they’re going to be using both hashtags or if they just haven’t updated the destination signs yet.

They have a sign that says "Season's Greetings" in English and French (also upper and lowercase for the French exposure on the older buses) while they still have exposures for trips terminating at York University (which is no longer served). They might have not updated the destination displays as I haven't seen any bus displaying #HappyTraveldays yet... all of them use #SantasOtherRide if "Merry Christmas" is put up as the P/R

On 11/30/2019 at 10:42 PM, general682002 said:

Bingo!  I'm really curious who can fix the Hybrids as a 2nd hand bus, otherwise expect to be a shed sitting in a field!

And 3001 was retired as of September of this year!

Around the ceiling area, yes they are fabric!  However, with cheap water based glue only last few years, they are sagging out!

And the bus is retired!

Is there warranty on the paint? 

On 11/29/2019 at 6:23 PM, nfitz said:

Says a lot about Presto, that this requires paper tickets. What, they couldn't program in a Sunday-only $10 daily cap? So much for Presto being touted as being able to allow for higher peak fares!

Sounds like a way to get emails for marketing. You can leave it on your smartphone, but needs activating. How do you activate it? Do the drivers have scanners for QR or Barcodes?

On 11/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, Cityflyer said:

On 11/29/2019 at 6:23 PM, nfitz said:

Says a lot about Presto, that this requires paper tickets. What, they couldn't program in a Sunday-only $10 daily cap? So much for Presto being touted as being able to allow for higher peak fares!

5 hours ago, YYZ Rampdog said:

Sounds like a way to get emails for marketing. You can leave it on your smartphone, but needs activating. How do you activate it? Do the drivers have scanners for QR or Barcodes?

When this story broke I thought about my (then) recent trip to Boston where the MBTA has the same offer for their commuter rail service on weekends.  $10 Commuter Rail Weekend

I thought PRESTO was beginning to catch up with other agencies in terms of fare offers.  Boston has a similar fare card, but the passes can't be loaded onto them similar to the situation here.  Normally there's a premium to paying on board the train, looks like it's waived for the offer.

Enjoy unlimited travel on the Commuter Rail for just $10.00 every weekend. Passes are valid on all lines and zones, Saturdays and Sundays.

To get your weekend pass:

• Buy on the mTicket app, available from iTunes and Google Play
  • Stop by the ticket windows at North, South, and Back Bay stations
  • Buy on board with cash or credit

Weekend passes are not available at fare vending machines or retail sales locations.

An agreement with CP has apparently been reached to use the former GM spur over the 401 for the Bowmanville Extension.

A question about the extension was asked at the recent town hall at the 58:06 mark and the CP-GM spur reference comes at around the 1:01:40 mark (the time between is when the question finishes and the answer starts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPw46vIel5A&feature=emb_title

As a reminder:

Metrolinx-Options-for-Lakeshore-East-extension-to-Bowmanville_Page_1.jpg

43 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Which buses have special ads at the moment? I know of 8452 (pride bus) and 8494 (Christmas bus). I think 8367 is the Honda Indy bus? Does anyone know of any others?

8467 is the racing bus. I haven't seen anything else, aside from 2607. 

Has anyone seen or ridden any sub 2400 CATs recently? I've only been seeing above 2400, both in person and on tracker. Its been a few weeks since I've seen one, aside from 2396 two weeks ago. Need to get my audio recordings while I can lol

• Thanks 1