GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

It's a bit Kafkaesque, but the description - "Revenue Protection" - isn't entirely incorrect. Their job is to ensure that people pay their fares, and if they don't to issue them a ticket for the pleasure. They're protecting the interests of their bosses.

I think that the change happened this past April.

Oh I wasn’t arguing that they were mistitled. If anything it’s brutally honest if not blunt to a fault.  I will make a wry observation that Verster happily surrendered $150 million/year of subsidy which means revenue will have to be protected even more now.

I forgot to mention a couple of other Go Transit/Metrolinx thoughts.  I passed through the Hamilton Go a centre a while back after not having been through the place in close to a year and the child proofing program going on there left me dismayed. The flashing LEDs around the stop signs. The endless PA announcements in the station and on the bus itself pleading, imploring people not to walk under moving buses.  The six foot high fence being installed.  That one took the cake. I mean, sure, running fences along the sidewalks so people don’t cut across the roadway is one thing if it’s a reasonable, waist high barrier but they’re putting in these six foot tall fences that are almost as tall as I am that make parts of the place look more like a prison yard than a bus terminal.  That’s excessive, and frankly, I honestly believe that by the time you’re old enough to ride the bus by yourself and definitely by the time you’re an adult, you should know better than to walk into the path of a moving bus.  What are they going to do next? Bundle people up under multiple layers of bubble wrap?

The last part of that journey took me by HSR along a good chunk of the proposed LRT and it was another bone jarring, spine destroying trip down Main St. This was after I got back from Calgary.  I used the LRT to get around town. It’s fast.  It’s smooth.  It’s quiet.  It works.  It works in winter.  It works in winters far more severe than anything you get in southern Ontario especially in the areas moderated by the lake and yet every time I’ve talked to people native to Hamilton about it, it’s been a litany of complaints about how it’ll be too noisy, it won’t work, what about winter blah blah blah, and it blows my mind that there’s still a debate about maybe getting to the point with a slightly more modern take on a starter LRT line by the early to mid-2020s that western Canada got to forty years ago.

I would love to see how these bumpkins that are scared of an updated version of the CTrain and can’t handle walking through a bus terminal without undue risk of getting themselves creamed by a bus who are probably still angry about having to buy a new television set to get CHCH in colour and think the WiFi is something teenagers blast rock ‘n roll records on would crash and burn in a place like Yellowknife where getting run over by the Yellowknife Transit bus on Franklin Avenue is probably one of the least misfortunes that could happen.

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Oh I wasn’t arguing that they were mistitled. If anything it’s brutally honest if not blunt to a fault.  I will make a wry observation that Verster happily surrendered $150 million/year of subsidy which means revenue will have to be protected even more now.

Like I said, it's a bit Kafkaesque. If nothing else, I think we're in agreement on this.

I forgot to mention a couple of other Go Transit/Metrolinx thoughts.  I passed through the Hamilton Go a centre a while back after not having been through the place in close to a year and the child proofing program going on there left me dismayed. The flashing LEDs around the stop signs. The endless PA announcements in the station and on the bus itself pleading, imploring people not to walk under moving buses.  The six foot high fence being installed.  That one took the cake. I mean, sure, running fences along the sidewalks so people don’t cut across the roadway is one thing if it’s a reasonable, waist high barrier but they’re putting in these six foot tall fences that are almost as tall as I am that make parts of the place look more like a prison yard than a bus terminal.  That’s excessive, and frankly, I honestly believe that by the time you’re old enough to ride the bus by yourself and definitely by the time you’re an adult, you should know better than to walk into the path of a moving bus.  What are they going to do next? Bundle people up under multiple layers of bubble wrap?

There was a rather unfortunate incident several months ago where a woman was run over by a bus, and the driver - employed by GO - charged with careless driving as a result. I won't pretend to know all of the details, because frankly I don't, but what you saw going on at the terminal is a very direct result of that incident.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/elderly-pedestrian-struck-hamilton-go-1.5050252

https://globalnews.ca/news/5085234/bus-driver-charged-after-pedestrian-struck-and-killed-at-hamilton-go-centre/

If this is going to be their response to this kind of incident, than I think if nothing else the public is owed the slightest bit of explanation as to why they are spending this kind of money.

Dan

On 8/6/2019 at 7:18 AM, sdgta2008 said:

Has the cut to Brantford been confirmed?  I haven't found any reports....

There was a report from Steve Munro that GO Transit was going to cut a plethora of bus services which included most of Brantford's runs but that was later debunked by Metrolinx as false. There could be plans for cuts but nothing has been reported, I think OP is speculating.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:16 AM, Wayside Observer said:

That’s excessive, and frankly, I honestly believe that by the time you’re old enough to ride the bus by yourself and definitely by the time you’re an adult, you should know better than to walk into the path of a moving bus.  What are they going to do next? Bundle people up under multiple layers of bubble wrap?

Personally, I can't say that I'm particularly bothered by posters and the like advertising that people should be aware of their surroundings, because after a while you can tune it out (and I usually do).

What I'm way more bothered by is the criminal "use" of the LED interior signs inside the GO buses. This afternoon I was on a bus I ride semi frequently, but I began to nod off and when I woke up I found that the bus was nowhere that I recognized (on diversion, maybe?), and I panicked that I might've accidentally gotten onto the wrong bus or something like that. I wasn't able to verify until a good 15 minutes later that I had, in fact, gotten on the correct bus, because the destination display kept alternating between displaying the next stop (not helpful, because many bus routes in the Mississauga area service this stop), announcing that said stop had been requested, and reminding passengers to report suspicious unattended packages to transit personnel. The name of the route didn't come up until the bus actually serviced the stop. How many times does a captive audience have to be reminded about suspicious packages?!

On August 8, 2019 at 1:52 PM, smallspy said:

Like I said, it's a bit Kafkaesque. If nothing else, I think we're in agreement on this.

I think we're in agreement too.

At times, it almost seems like Metrolinx is unsure whether they want to operate a regional transportation system or a large police department, now complete with a canine unit, or both.

On August 8, 2019 at 1:52 PM, smallspy said:

There was a rather unfortunate incident several months ago where a woman was run over by a bus, and the driver - employed by GO - charged with careless driving as a result. I won't pretend to know all of the details, because frankly I don't, but what you saw going on at the terminal is a very direct result of that incident.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/elderly-pedestrian-struck-hamilton-go-1.5050252

https://globalnews.ca/news/5085234/bus-driver-charged-after-pedestrian-struck-and-killed-at-hamilton-go-centre/

If this is going to be their response to this kind of incident, than I think if nothing else the public is owed the slightest bit of explanation as to why they are spending this kind of money.

I think there were a couple of incidents at the bus terminal at Union station as well.

With respect to the one in Hamilton, everything that's happened since has been contradictory.  I heard very little about that one but what little I did hear made it sound like it was the pedestrian's fault.  The police laying charges against the bus driver a while afterwards came as a bolt out of the blue after everything that trickled out suggested the blame laid with the pedestrian, but suggest the police thought the bus driver was at fault to the point of meriting being charged.  Whether or not that gets as far as being tried in a courtroom or gets dropped is ultimately up to a crown attorney so it's too early to tell what's going to happen there.  But then, on the other hand, Metrolinx literally fencing in pedestrians to the greatest extent possible with these 6 foot high barriers, the flashing stop signs, the relentless announcements etc, all suggests it was the pedestrian was out of line.  With everything all over the map it's pretty much impossible to say who's to blame and to what extent the driver and the lady bear responsibility.

Looks like the Minister will be making a Metrolinx announcement (or re-announcement?) tomorrow at 8:30 AM.

It's at the UP Platform at Union Station - so not necessarily GO. Though there can't be too many good spots to do announcements during the peak of AM rush hour at Union these days.

With the new GO timetables being released here, and rumours about increased service for the Kitchener line, my guess is that this may be about the new September timetable for the Kitchener line, including more service at Bloor and Weston.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2019/08/minister-of-transportation-to-make-an-announcement-58.html

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

Looks like the Minister will be making a Metrolinx announcement (or re-announcement?) tomorrow at 8:30 AM.

It's at the UP Platform at Union Station - so not necessarily GO. Though there can't be too many good spots to do announcements during the peak of AM rush hour at Union these days.

With the new GO timetables being released here, and rumours about increased service for the Kitchener line, my guess is that this may be about the new September timetable for the Kitchener line, including more service at Bloor and Weston.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2019/08/minister-of-transportation-to-make-an-announcement-58.html

Maybe it's to announce the cut they've made to Metrolinx' operating subsidy because they're "for the people" ?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, nfitz said:

It would appear that it was indeed for the service changes.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2019/08/ontario-announces-more-rush-hour-midday-and-evening-service.html

https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/go-service-updates/train-schedule-changes

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else see the changes on the Stouffville line? They’re continuing to run the current buses every 10 minutes northbound, and then also have trains every hour. And southbound, still buses every half hour and then trains every hour. But I mean...I’m not complaining

https://www.gotransit.com/static_files/gotransit/assets/pdf/TripPlanning/FullSchedules/FS31082019/Table71_ST.pdf

5 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

2607 is parked outside the entercare center with a wrap that has something to do with kids riding on go.

If I had to guess, probably part of the campaign for free ride for kids 12 years and under.

2607 seems to be the "publicity bus" lately; it was the one on display at the Auto Show, and even before that it was wrapped for TFC when they won the MLS Cup in 2017.

• Like 2

I wonder about the impact on VIA on some of these changes - like this new evening service at 20.57 from Kitchener. I have taken the VIA 88 in the past when doing work in our Waterloo office and it was a bummer to have to hang around waiting for a train and to be back in Toronto after 11. Some people will still prefer the faster trains and the more comfortable seats but it will still chip away at the economics of the VIA service, especially if it also loses outbound customers from 85 to the new GO mid-day train.

3 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I wonder about the impact on VIA on some of these changes - like this new evening service at 20.57 from Kitchener. I have taken the VIA 88 in the past when doing work in our Waterloo office and it was a bummer to have to hang around waiting for a train and to be back in Toronto after 11. Some people will still prefer the faster trains and the more comfortable seats but it will still chip away at the economics of the VIA service, especially if it also loses outbound customers from 85 to the new GO mid-day train.

It shouldn't affect much as a majority of people get off in London. Greyhound is the one more likely to take a very serious impact on the Kitchener to Toronto and Toronto to Kitchener runs.

3 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

thanks. inAlso is there a Metrolitnx mock up LRT car at the Ex as well?  

I didn't see any LRT cars. They may put one on later on. There was a section of the enercare center Inside that wasn't open too the public yet and for the past few years It was parked In that area.

Metrolinx tells GO bus drivers to spit out gum if asked by passenger triggered by sound

I'm genuinely curious about this one in a couple of respects.  First, given how diesel buses are not quiet even when idling, never mind when running in motion, how is anyone in the passenger area going to be able to hear gum being chewed by the driver?  This is especially true of the upstairs on the double deckers.

Second, how is Metrolinx planning to handle the potential conflict that arises between multiple duties to accommodate, corporate policy and workplace safety legislation?  If a driver who smokes and uses nicotine gum to get by while at work can't use that because of having to accommodate a passenger that can't have anybody chewing gum nearby, the driver can't light up a smoke instead because of any number of policies and laws about that.  Plus, in Ontario for certain and I'm not sure if it's the same in other provinces or at the federal level, addiction (eg, nicotine addiction) is considered a medical disability that must be accommodated.  How does all that work?

I'm also kind of puzzled why nobody suggested a good pair of headphones combined with a fully loaded iPod/smartphone/mp3 player/Walkman and sit back and enjoy the ride with some tunes drowning out the rest of the world.  That's got to be a lot more enjoyable a way to pass the time on a bus ride, gum or no gum.

Metrolinx tells GO bus drivers to spit out gum if asked by passenger triggered by sound

I'm genuinely curious about this one in a couple of respects.  First, given how diesel buses are not quiet even when idling, never mind when running in motion, how is anyone in the passenger area going to be able to hear gum being chewed by the driver?  This is especially true of the upstairs on the double deckers.

I'm also kind of puzzled why nobody suggested a good pair of headphones combined with a fully loaded iPod/smartphone/mp3 player/Walkman and sit back and enjoy the ride with some tunes drowning out the rest of the world.  That's got to be a lot more enjoyable a way to pass the time on a bus ride, gum or no gum.

I would think that this kind of issue would be very rare.

Your suggestion about headphones is merely that, a suggestion, and not a very satisfactory one at that.

4 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I would think that this kind of issue would be very rare.

Your suggestion about headphones is merely that, a suggestion, and not a very satisfactory one at that.

No?  Oh well.  The guy who sits next to me at work had a few suggestions that were even better.  He's also an Australian so the way those suggestions were made was totally devastating.  Maybe try your luck with that guy instead.