GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

6 hours ago, Shemar said:

Yesterday, I saw F59PH 559 on the Stouffville Line. Are the F59PH's being replaced by some of the MP54AC's?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no current plans to retire the F59s.

The new BiLevel coaches that are currently being delivered will go up to 4184 unless they have ordered more coaches. 252 has been de-cabbed since December 2017.

The current order being delivered was for 125 cars total. And it seems that the breakdown was for 15 accessible cars (4505 to 4519), 15 cab cars (367 to 381) and 95 coaches (4055 to 4149).

There may still be another outstanding order for additional cars beyond these - with all of the pronouncements going around, it wasn't clear.

Dan

• Thanks 1

I'm wondering why GO bus drivers no longer turn off the interior lights on the bus. Some drivers turn off the lights and when I request them to be turned off several times, most of them told me its for safety reasons. But if it was for safety reasons, wouldn't all the drivers leave the lights on? It doesn't make sense to me. I take GO everyday to and from York and I observe that drivers do not usually turn off the lights in the new double deckers. However the same drivers who leave the lights on in the double deckers do turn off the lights on the D4500s. One time leaving Yorkdale, the driver of the newer double deckers told me that the lights are automatic and he doesn't know how to completely turn them off. Could someone please shed some light of some answers?

On 4/30/2019 at 11:02 PM, Shawn Mikee Isidro said:

I'm wondering why GO bus drivers no longer turn off the interior lights on the bus. Some drivers turn off the lights and when I request them to be turned off several times, most of them told me its for safety reasons. But if it was for safety reasons, wouldn't all the drivers leave the lights on? It doesn't make sense to me. I take GO everyday to and from York and I observe that drivers do not usually turn off the lights in the new double deckers. However the same drivers who leave the lights on in the double deckers do turn off the lights on the D4500s. One time leaving Yorkdale, the driver of the newer double deckers told me that the lights are automatic and he doesn't know how to completely turn them off. Could someone please shed some light of some answers?

Best to ask GO that one. Them saying that I am unsure though. Ive never had that happen as I don't normally take GO at night. They have that blue night lighting if that helps.

9 hours ago, Shawn Mikee Isidro said:

I’ve never had this issue, usually GOs drivers are quite good on this subject. I believe they are required to keep lights on the D45s when there are people standing, so that would mean the topmost lights hidden above the luggage racks. 

The SuperLo lights are indeed automatic, but only when the door is opened, otherwise they can be all be off. 

8 hours ago, 7575 said:

What is the purpose of the blue light on GO buses?

My understanding is that the blue light is there to reduce reflections off the windows for the driver and/or to discourage drug use. Since the light is so far back, it is likely the latter. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:36 PM, TTC 9701 said:

Best to ask GO that one. Them saying it's for safety is not true though. They have night lighting so I am unsure what the driver is talking about.

The double deckers don't have night lighting at the upper deck. Could this be why they don't turn the lights off?

8 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Ohhh hey I’m in this video

I also joined online as well - also making a mention about the PRESTO deployment for the TTC as well (although that has little relevance of the town hall meeting, but it somehow got covered).

I also heard that the residents of Bowmanville really needed to have that GO train extension to that area. Infrastructure challenges are a major hurdle right now.

7 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I think it might be time for you to review point #2 in this thread: 

"Hidden" breaks the one-word post rule, though, and probably also point 2.

Saying "it's around x but you can't get to it" would be more meaningful IMO.

The original post breaks the point that says "no questions that you can google". Before building my own BiLevel for this animation, I googled it and found that it was about in the location of the one in my animation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 11:36 PM, TTC 9701 said:

Best to ask GO that one. Them saying it's for safety is not true though. They have night lighting so I am unsure what the driver is talking about.

This statement is false

• Thanks 1

GO Transit's passenger info systems are in desperate need of improvement. Last Friday, I boarded a Kitchener line train intending to get off at Weston (saving myself the extra cost that now exists with the UPX), but it wasn't until the CSA said the word "EXPRESS" did I realize I was in for trouble. I ended up talking to a fellow rider before I discovered my train would not stop until Bramalea...!

Then I realize that GO was in the process of retrofitting digital signs inside its train cars, though they had targeted the accessibility cars first. Will they ever hurry up and retrofit the other cars, and perhaps modify the signs to display stopping patterns as well? I would not have run into this last minute confusion had the cars been so retrofitted and displayed messages like in this Australian intercity train:

Additionally, I do see the potential for GO to retrofit LCD screens in its carriages to display even more useful information at once.

previous.gif

I'd also like it if the cars had exterior signs similar to what the TTC has been doing with their subways but haven't fully activated.  Although ideally, they'd be at eye level to a passenger standing on the platform at the doors.  Especially at Union Station where there aren't nearly as many overhead signs for each of the platforms as needed (some can be quite a ways apart requiring better than 20/20 vision in order to read them!).  On the narrower platforms, they're staggered since they physically can't fit side-by-side.

For the lines that currently (and for those that eventually) do have 2-way service, especially at island platforms, it'd be another way to let passengers know they're getting on the correct train if they've passed the departure screens without paying them any attention.

Looks at departure board outside the platform
Looks at departure board on platform
Listens to announcement from CSA

"Did I really get on the right train, though?"

11 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Looks at departure board outside the platform
Looks at departure board on platform
Listens to announcement from CSA

"Did I really get on the right train, though?"

And are you sure you remember tapping your presto card today or are you thinking of yesterday...?

I've nodded off on the Go train but haven't missed my stop yet. The fear I have is falling asleep and finding myself at the far flung outreaches of the other side of the Lakeshore line but so far that hasn't happened.

• Like 1

I thought most of the Grimsby sub is double tracked. Why does it take so much time for it to go from Hamilton to Niagara falls? What is the track speed between Hamilton and Niagara falls?

Only 18 people use this service daily? https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9396305-niagara-go-trains-here-for-the-long-haul/

Is there a timeline for more services?

I went and read the article (thanks for posting it) and found it to be an interesting read.

However, please note that it's averaging 17 people in the morning (between St. Catharines and Niagara Falls stops) and 28 at night (for the same two).

One of the issues that's showing the lesser ridership is the times of the trains, as well as the limited stops offered.

If not mistaken, there's going to be additional stations, and the closer they get to Hamilton proper (Centennial and Casablanca, perhaps?) the added riders will bring those numbers up.  The addition of more trips will make the service a little more convenient too, and hopefully increase, instead of splitting the present ridership over multiple trips.

I've also noticed a reference to a "438 GO Shuttle" on SCT's bus tracker, but see no mentions of it on the site for schedules.  Is this something upcoming?

7 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

I went and read the article (thanks for posting it) and found it to be an interesting read.

However, please note that it's averaging 17 people in the morning (between St. Catharines and Niagara Falls stops) and 28 at night (for the same two).

One of the issues that's showing the lesser ridership is the times of the trains, as well as the limited stops offered.

If not mistaken, there's going to be additional stations, and the closer they get to Hamilton proper (Centennial and Casablanca, perhaps?) the added riders will bring those numbers up.  The addition of more trips will make the service a little more convenient too, and hopefully increase, instead of splitting the present ridership over multiple trips.

I've also noticed a reference to a "438 GO Shuttle" on SCT's bus tracker, but see no mentions of it on the site for schedules.  Is this something upcoming?

438 is, I believe, the WEGO shuttle to Niagara-on-the-Lake from the Bridge Street VIA Station that operates during the weekends in the summer. The route is run by Niagara Parks and it's unconfirmed but they purchased five ex GO Transit MCI D4500CTs for it.