GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

On 5/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, nfitz said:

It would very useful to figure out where the frig my bus is!

I use the GO Train one all the time. I thought the buses were coming soon, but I only seem to think about it when I find myself at the bus stop, and start wondering ...

The Transit app has real-time location/departure information for GO buses:

Screenshot of Transit app showing GO bus location

Really?  Hmm, odd it doesn't show up in any other app I already have, which are keen to show me local buses in various places when I'm in Quebec.

But that means there's a public data stream.  I'm surprised Transee hasn't integrated it yet, given they've integrated the more difficult GO Trains and TTC subway trains.

On 5/19/2018 at 9:11 AM, soo8513 said:

WiKi Editor(s):  Would it be possible to update the WiKi for GO rail cars?  I spotted 4518 and 4064 this week in service on the Kitchener Corridor. WiKi only goes to 4054 and 4504.  Thanks

Check the wiki now. I just finished updating the page.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, smallspy said:

I did answer the question - and in fact, gave a link where it could be found, along with many other answers that people might be asking.

If you can't spend the 2 joules of energy that it requires you to click the link and have your eyeballs scroll over to find the appropriate answer, that isn't my problem.

Dan

So in the end in order to have trackage rights they would need to negotiate with CN.  Since it is not used as often, does that make it easier for them to get permission? 

Assuming Metrolinx pays for any upgrades required to bring the line up to their operating standards. 

4 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Sorry ... do I have a bad link?  Still don't see the WiKi railcar updates.

So far there is bilevel coaches up to 4072 and accessible coaches up to 4518. https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GO_Transit_Series_IX_BiLevel_cars

I just added the link to the current railcar roster section of the GO Transit page. https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GO_Transit#Current_railcar_roster

12 hours ago, Ontario_Transit said:

Do GO Buses get to use 407 ETR for free?

No. GO must pay for the use of the 407, and I've been led to believe that they only get a slight discount on the standard commercial vehicle rates.

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

407 is owned by a private company 

Nitpick: Highway 407 ETR is owned by the Province of Ontario,  just as every other 400-series highway and the QEW. It is operated by a private consortium, however.

Dan

• Like 1

So in a way, the province is paying itself for the the tolls, even though the operations are paid to the private operator employee paychecks.

3 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

407 is owned by a private company 

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

Nitpick: Highway 407 ETR is owned by the Province of Ontario,  just as every other 400-series highway and the QEW. It is operated by a private consortium, however.

If I remember correctly,  the private operation ends at East of Brock Road and entirely operated by the MTO. Now does GO still have to pay if they choose to run a route on the new extension?

407_ETR_Ends_where_ON_407_begins.jpg

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

No. GO must pay for the use of the 407, and I've been led to believe that they only get a slight discount on the standard commercial vehicle rates.

Dan

407 ETR and GO are both operated by the government so GO should be free. That would make sense.

4 minutes ago, Ontario_Transit said:

407 ETR and GO are both operated by the government so GO should be free. That would make sense.

So many things transit-related in this province would make sense.

Reality differs ...

2 hours ago, Ontario_Transit said:

407 ETR is not operated by the government. It's operated by a very large multinational consortium, the biggest part of which is based in Spain.

And considering that the Province has gone to court against the consortium and lost (twice?), it's not likely that they are going to be getting very many concessions for things like transit access to the highway.

Dan

This is taken straight from the 407 ETR website (https://407etr.com/en/help/general/faq-tollsandfees/faq48.html)

Are there any vehicles that do not have to pay tolls?

The following vehicles may be exempted from tolls:

• Law Enforcement, Fire Fighting, Ambulances
  • Department of National Defence
  • Vehicles bearing diplomatic licence plates

In order to obtain toll exemption for your vehicle(s), a Toll Exemption Agreement must be completed and submitted to 407 ETR for approval.

And this is taken from the Highway 407 East website (https://www.on407.ca/en/help/general/faq/faq13.html)

Are there any vehicles that do not have to pay tolls?

As per the regulation under the Highway 407 East Act, 2012, the following vehicles may be exempted from tolls on Highway 407 (including Highway 412):

• Ambulances;
  • Fire department vehicles;
  • Police department vehicles;
  • Ontario government enforcement vehicles;
  • Vehicles bearing diplomatic licence plates; and
  • Maintenance vehicles used to maintain tolling equipment.

Organizations operating vehicles falling into the above categories must submit a Toll Exemption Agreement for approval prior to travelling on the highway.

10 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Automated announcements on GO Trains are now repeated in French.

Supposedly a memo was sent out to all staff that announcements were to be made in both english and french as of this past Monday or Tuesday.

Dan

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 9:03 AM, smallspy said:

Do you have any more info on that alleged discount (3 guesses why I'm asking.....).

- Dave

18 hours ago, GM5000 said:

Do you have any more info on that alleged discount (3 guesses why I'm asking.....).

- Dave

I don't. The reason I used the term "led to believe" is because this came from people within head office who don't necessarily work on the bus side of things that often. I can't recall ever being given any paperwork that explicitly states costs of running the service on the highway.

Send me a message offline and we'll talk about it some more.

Dan

14 hours ago, Token Dispenser said:

Does anyone know what the white lunar aspect means?

Sometimes it's by itself on a mast, and sometimes it's part of an array of signals. E.g. Newmarket sub, just north of where it crosses over CN York

It's not a "lunar", and it's not a signal, either. They aren't covered under the CROR, so they can mean any number of different things, but can't actually be used to operate a train. Instead, there will be a footnote in the subdivision guides that will tell crews about its location, use, and how to interpret it.

The most common usage on the GO network is to indicate whether a high-water indicator has tripped or not.

Dan

• Like 1