GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

15 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

After 8 years in service? Is that the expectedly service life for DDs or is there a design issue?

Because they are used on limited service due to their height along with constant maintainence issues. It was decided that they get pulled off.

7 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I thought they were 2008’s

First batch was 2008 and the second batch was 2009.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Transit 20 said:

engine 667 passed a rail camera in la Plata mo this morning heading to Chicago 668 is in Chicago waiting to come to Toronto.

28685075_684024658653622_4733162446770929664_n.jpg

28685557_10156147569805758_2390201254941475483_n.jpg

Disappointing that it doesn't have the new Metrolinx logo. Would help delimitate it from the older, refurbished locs.

10 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Disappointing that it doesn't have the new Metrolinx logo. Would help delimitate it from the older, refurbished locs.

dawg what are you saying. its a logo. half the passengers won't give a shit. 

Also, I think the word you are looking for is "distinguish", not "delimitate". 

13 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Who cares? I'm sure that if Metrolinx feels the need to apply the new logo, they will.

• Thanks 1

While on my way to see some family in Grimsby yesterday, when transferring from the GO Train at Burlington GO Station to the GO 12 Bus at the south end loop, while tapping off my Presto card at the east end stairwell, while still walking inside the building towards the ticket area. There is a close off  area that may appear to be a good sized Tim Horton's that may open up there soon. I only recognized that it would be a Tim's given the other part of their logo that says, "Always Fresh Since 1964." That was the giveaway.
Now, to my understanding, I wasn't aware that there were going to be other Tim's locations other than those mobile Tim's at Oakville, Oshawa, Ajax (if it's opened already) and Clarkson. Is this another phase of that rollout?

14 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Found this refurbed bilevel just west of aldershot, couldn’t get a good look at the fleet number, but here it is anways, 

7DC025C3-5423-4DE4-97CD-F78AA6876E11.jpeg

It's not refurbed - look closely and you'll see that it still has its original doors and hasn't had the black at the bottom of the sides painted yet.

It's currently on its way to Montréal to be refurbished. It's only had most of the paint done at this point.

10 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8324220-go-train-can-t-come-soon-enough/

Anyone know what the average track speeds are after Aldershot to Niagara falls?

The maximum speed of the Grimsby Sub is 65mph. I suspect that once GO starts running on it more frequently that they will get CN to raise that figure.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both the Wiki and the recently-released Bible, er, Trackside Guide show the current GO Transit passenger car orders as standard coaches 4000-4054 and accessible coaches 4500-4504.   However, accessible coaches are up to at least 4514 based on these pictures I took at the TMC earlier in the month.  Personally, the highest-numbered non-accessible coach I've seen has been the 4018.  I presume the proportion of each within the order has been adjusted.  Could anyone share the new distribution?

Lance Gleich, Toronto ON

go4511tmcside.jpg

go4514tmc.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bn2189 said:

Both the Wiki and the recently-released Bible, er, Trackside Guide show the current GO Transit passenger car orders as standard coaches 4000-4054 and accessible coaches 4500-4504.   However, accessible coaches are up to at least 4514 based on these pictures I took at the TMC earlier in the month.  Personally, the highest-numbered non-accessible coach I've seen has been the 4018.  I presume the proportion of each within the order has been adjusted.  Could anyone share the new distribution?

Lance Gleich, Toronto ON

go4511tmcside.jpg

go4514tmc.jpg

All of the cars in that original order - 4500-4504 and 4000-4054 are delivered, and virtually all of them are in service. The only ones I haven't personally seen in service are the units north of 4047.

These cars however are from the 125 car follow-up order, and for which I haven't seen a breakdown yet. At the least 4505 and 4506 are in service now, and judging by their photos they seem to be pumping out more accessible cars by the mittful - they have been shipping cars down in pairs for the past couple of weeks, although I hadn't yet seen numbers for any of them.

Dan

• Like 1

https://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/procurement/ontario-commits-massive-overhaul-go-transit-will-launch-procurement-shortly-210619/

Gov't is committing to the RER program, which will cost some $21.3B. Calls for six new GO stations, upgrades at multiple stations, 150km of new track and electrification of the network. Cost also includes new maintenance facilities, bus stations, signage and yes, procurement of new rolling stock. 

Mar 24
Track 1 is in place and ready for use from the top of the south ramp at Weston to Weston Rd, but no track 1 at Weston. Track tampering is taking place at Weston Rd area.
[img]

Stop off in Whitby on my way home from a birthday party and had my first look at GO Transit Whitby Rail Maintenance Facility in poor light.
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]

My first look at the new Oshawa Station. Get a good view from the overpass and windows of the main lines. Elevator is hospital style.
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

https://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/procurement/ontario-commits-massive-overhaul-go-transit-will-launch-procurement-shortly-210619/

Gov't is committing to the RER program, which will cost some $21.3B. Calls for six new GO stations, upgrades at multiple stations, 150km of new track and electrification of the network. Cost also includes new maintenance facilities, bus stations, signage and yes, procurement of new rolling stock. 

21.3 Billion seems like way more than it should be. Assuming there are 50 grade separations/bridge replacements that need to occur in the system, at 50 million per grade separation, that'll cost 2.5 billion. The 150km of new track at 10 million/km should cost 1.5 billion, the 6 new GO stations at 300 million/station should cost 1.8 billion, electrification at 10mil/km of the 500km network is 5 billion, and upgrades to stations at 20 million/station should cost at most 1.2 billion. In total, this is around 12 billion. How can it almost double?

1 hour ago, Streety McCarface said:

21.3 Billion seems like way more than it should be. Assuming there are 50 grade separations/bridge replacements that need to occur in the system, at 50 million per grade separation, that'll cost 2.5 billion. The 150km of new track at 10 million/km should cost 1.5 billion, the 6 new GO stations at 300 million/station should cost 1.8 billion, electrification at 10mil/km of the 500km network is 5 billion, and upgrades to stations at 20 million/station should cost at most 1.2 billion. In total, this is around 12 billion. How can it almost double?

All of the other costs that you've ignored: land purchases, earth moving, equipment purchases, additional layover and storage facilities, project staging, signalling to name just a few that come to the top of my head.

Dan

• Like 2