GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

On 2/6/2018 at 9:18 AM, smallspy said:

Indeed, this is now what the situation is. There is a scheduled job on Mondays and Thursdays that leaves MacMillian Yard around 10 am and switches the industries along the Newmarket Sub, sometimes going as far north as Bradford. CN doesn't have their change of card until April, so it's likely that this will continue to impact the mid-day GO service until then.

Dan

Sorry what's a "change card"? Is that for a crew change? I assume that because the workers are unionized, there's a process to change schedules?

On 2/9/2018 at 1:07 PM, Allandale25 said:

Sorry what's a "change card"? Is that for a crew change? I assume that because the workers are unionized, there's a process to change schedules?

The "Change of card" is the method and process used to allow crews to change their jobs on a scheduled basis. Very much along the same lines of the board periods of a transit agency.

There are two change of cards on CN - end of April, and end of October. There are several other ways for crews to change the job that they are holding without waiting for a change of card, but the change of card allows all crews to change at once.

GO used to follow CN's change of cards when they were operating the trains, but now that Bombardier is running the trains they can change the schedules any time they need to.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

On Friday 647 had been out on its own with a 10 pack.

it was on the 8:13 leaving to Oshawa, really quiet and it gets up to speed quicker

Yes I saw it today and just wanted to post that as well :D

I think most of (maybe all of) the carriages are in the new two-tones livery.

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎18 at 4:23 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

On Friday 647 had been out on its own with a 10 pack.

it was on the 8:13 leaving to Oshawa, really quiet and it gets up to speed quicker

If that is so, then it is highly likely that both of its engines were running. A single engine generates less electricity making it harder to haul (and hence slower acceleration). Personally I would suggest to GO's engineers that to minimize energy consumption one engine should be shut off during off-peak service except perhaps when hauling full 12-coach trains or during special services.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎18 at 6:20 PM, AC02 said:

I think most of (maybe all of) the carriages are in the new two-tones livery.

I wonder at which point they'll start putting the new Metrolinx logo on. I think we could see it debut with the first production MP54ACs before they expand it to newly delivered BiLevels.

26 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

If that is so, then it is highly likely that both of its engines were running. A single engine generates less electricity making it harder to haul (and hence slower acceleration). Personally I would suggest to GO's engineers that to minimize energy consumption one engine should be shut off during off-peak service except perhaps when hauling full 12-coach trains or during special services.

I think GO does what they do for a reason...

You yourself said it would make it slower, and the there's a big gap between the single 2700hp motor in the MP54 and the standard 4000hp in the MP40s. That has potential to cause delays, even during off peak hours, and will most certainly have greater fuel and energy consumption. The reason it has two motors is when there are periods of low power demand, one can be shut off for better fuel econ. That doesn't mean they'll be using the one motor to haul it from rest; that's a period of high power demand, regardless of on or off peak service. @smallspy can explain better than me. 

28 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

I wonder at which point they'll start putting the new Metrolinx logo on. I think we could see it debut with the first production MP54ACs before they expand it to newly delivered BiLevels.

4 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I think GO does what they do for a reason...

You yourself said it would make it slower, and the there's a big gap between the single 2700hp motor in the MP54 and the standard 4000hp in the MP40s. That has potential to cause delays, even during off peak hours, and will most certainly have greater fuel and energy consumption. The reason it has two motors is when there are periods of low power demand, one can be shut off for better fuel econ. That doesn't mean they'll be using the one motor to haul it from rest; that's a period of high power demand. 

The EMD 710  cubic inches (11,600 cm3) per cylinder, 11.6X16=185.6 Liter in the engine.

Two Qsk 60= 2x60= 120 liter, 

MP54AC have smaller engine than a mp40-3c.

15 minutes ago, Chinese Daniel said:

The EMD 710  cubic inches (11,600 cm3) per cylinder, 11.6X16=185.6 Liter in the engine.

Two Qsk 60= 2x60= 120 liter, 

MP54AC have smaller engine than a mp40-3c.

Did a bit more research, and found that the 5400hp is divied up for multiple things. 4000 is for pulling effort, while the remaining 1400 is used for other systems on the train, like lighting. Think of it as an APU on an airplane. The max power that can be sent to all 4 wheels is 4800hp. 

The MP54 is equipped with auto start/stop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Did a bit more research, and found that the 5400hp is divied up for multiple things. 4000 is for pulling effort, while the remaining 1400 is used for other systems on the train, like lighting. Think of it as an APU on an airplane. The max power that can be sent to all 4 wheels is 4800hp. 

The MP54 is equipped with auto start/stop. 

They are engine sound like SC-44 right?

22 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I wouldn't quite compare it to an airplane's APU. The HEP on the MP54 is generated by the main engines, whereas the MP40PH-3C and MP36PH-3C units have a separate Caterpillar HEP genset (which is a bit more like an APU). 

20 hours ago, Chinese Daniel said:

They are engine sound like SC-44 right?

In my opinion they sound like vacuum cleaners (and the same goes for a lot of Tier 4 engines these days). 

• Thanks 2

On 2/19/2018 at 10:40 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

The max power that can be sent to all 4 wheels is 4800hp.

No, the maximum power that can be sent to the 4 traction motors is ~5400hp minus HEP and conversion losses.

The HEP requirements for the train, be it a 2-, 6- or 12-car train are then removed from that number. The remainder is routed to the traction motors.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, fredy_bus said:

Didn’t they tried putting wi-fi on select double deckers a few years back? What was the outcome of that trial period?

Yes, they tested WiFi on 10 DD buses on 2015, specifically ones that traveled on the 407, or on the Waterloo-Mississauga routes. 

The WiFi service will be entered in March on 2 trains and 4 buses to acquire customer feedback and quality of service. They'll be expanding from there. 

1 hour ago, dowlingm said:

That wifi wasn't hydrogen powered... so now we start over :)

GO Transit is highly unlikely to order hydrogen-powered DDs though... not at least till the necessary infrastructure becomes widely available.

Unless you hire the same guy who killed off diesel-electric "Boris buses" and make a deal with a rival manufacturer who never shipped a DD to America...

hydrogenbus3011b.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, drum118 said:

I know Mulock has been on the table for quite some time, but that would result in 3 stations in a pretty close proximity. If anything, I'd rather see a new Mulock station take over for Newmarket station overall.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:56 PM, Transit geek said:

GO Transit is highly unlikely to order hydrogen-powered DDs though... not at least till the necessary infrastructure becomes widely available.

Unless you hire the same guy who killed off diesel-electric "Boris buses" and make a deal with a rival manufacturer who never shipped a DD to America...

hydrogenbus3011b.jpg

you do realise that bus in the background is built by the same manufacturer that makes "Boris" buses?

Also they didn't "kill off" the New Routemaster, TfL decided not to take up the option of ordering any more after the initial contract for 1000 had been completed. There has been no deal made with a rival manufacturer, in any case Wrights "rival" manfacturer is ADL!!! There are only 3 main double decker bodybuilders supplying vehicles in the UK now, ADL, Wrights and MCV. 

The quality of recent Wright products has left a lot to be desired and many former buyers in London are now switching to MCV, and outside London both Stagecoach and First tend to order ADL products. First used to split orders between Wrights and ADL but order far more from ADL now.