GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

Still haven't added a Stouffville bus trip at ~11PM, which is too bad. there's currently over a one hour gap between the last train trip (10:30PM) and the first evening bus trip (11:40PM). I've seen many complaints about it- it's inconvenient, especially if there's a Jays game or whatnot

2 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:
  • 34 new 24-hour service (two additional round trips)
  • 40 route revised to operate via Dixie and Renforth* Transitway stations. Weekday midday service increased to every 30 minutes (from every hour). New 24-hour service (one additional round trip)

I'm pretty sure this would be the first 24 hour transit service in the 905.

4 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

GO Transit September service change highlights:

• Barrie Line one new train round trip (Bradford - Union), two morning trains from Maple (7:15am, 7:45am) extended to start at Allandale Waterfront (6:05am, 6:35am), certain trips have increased train length to 12 coaches
  • 12 new 12C branch (Burlington GO - St Catharines), providing combined (12/12C) half-hourly service during weekday peak
  • 19 route revised to operate via Dixie and Renforth* Transitway stations
  • 25 earlier weekend service (first bus from UW at 4:55am), more 25F service on Fridays and Sundays
  • 29 weekday service increased to every hour
  • 34 new 24-hour service (two additional round trips)
  • 40 route revised to operate via Dixie and Renforth* Transitway stations. Weekday midday service increased to every 30 minutes (from every hour). New 24-hour service (one additional round trip)
  • 48 new 48F express branch (York U - U of Guelph) replacing Sunday 48 service
  • 63/65 trip cancellations, replaced by new Barrie Line trains
  • 66 extended to East Gwillimbury GO to connect with 68
  • 68 weekday service from Barrie will now terminate at East Gwillimbury GO instead of Newmarket Bus Terminal. Weekday peak service reduced to every hour.

*Temporary stop until Renforth station opens later in the fall

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx

It is nice that the Barrie line routes (65, 66 and 68) are terminating at East Gwillimbury Go knowing that a lot of passengers on the 68 transfer to the 65 Union Express to make the trip to Toronto. Knowing that I have seen a lot of lineups and passenger capacity problems when the 65 has to take on the 68 loads.

Though I think they need to tweak some of the times for waiting on the departure on the final train terminating at Bradford. Knowing that waiting around 45 minutes isn't really a fun experience. Only time will tell with feedback and the experience.

34 Pearson Airport/North York Express running 24 hour service. Nice to see it accompany the TTC that also runs 24/7 with regular routes 52A Lawrence West, 192 Airport Express and blue night bus service with 300 Bloor-Danforth, 332 Eglinton West and 352 Lawrence West routes. 

53 minutes ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

I thought MiWay has 24-hour service on at least one route.

The Route 1 Dundas runs pretty close to 24 hour service. 

First weekday trip is just before 4 AM starting at Dundas and Erin Mills Parkway heading towards Islington (eastbound)

Last weekday trip from Islington is 2:33 AM to coincide with the last subway departure at 2:15 AM with that final departure (1 Dundas) finishing at 3:16 AM. 

34 minutes ago, TheAverageJoe said:

route 26 is pretty much 24 hour

Dundas is another one. I notice a lot of the routes that run 22 to 23 hours/day on a weekday or Saturday are the ones that feed directly into Islington Station. Though there are a few that run in the city that run until 2 to 3 AM. 

• Like 1

Since the double-tracking of the Stouffville line in Markham I have not noticed the folding crossing arm on the (relatively) new signals at the Denison Street crossing until today!

Anyone could explain why these were installed here (the arm doesn't seem that long to me as to need it) and whether any other similar installations exist elsewhere on GO?

spoorwegovergang.GIF

On 16/08/2017 at 8:45 AM, smallspy said:

Metrolinx is in the right this time. Maybe you should read the articles and find out what the contract actually entails.

If the contract is just for this study of how to do future though, that's fine.

But if means that it precludes everyone else from getting operation work in the future, that's a problem. That's now how this stuff is normally contracted.

The various newspaper articles have been so poor and vague though, that I'd think we'd have to see the contract, to see if Metrolinx is in the right.

Though based on Bombardiers's claim (which they'd hardly be bluffing about, if they had filed a lawsuit)!, and Metrolinx's previous incompetence in this area, I can only assume that they screwed up the RFP.

52 minutes ago, nfitz said:

If the contract is just for this study of how to do future though, that's fine.

But if means that it precludes everyone else from getting operation work in the future, that's a problem. That's now how this stuff is normally contracted.

The various newspaper articles have been so poor and vague though, that I'd think we'd have to see the contract, to see if Metrolinx is in the right.

Though based on Bombardiers's claim (which they'd hardly be bluffing about, if they had filed a lawsuit)!, and Metrolinx's previous incompetence in this area, I can only assume that they screwed up the RFP.

This RFP/contract is only supposed to be for oversight of the current operations, and how they should be configured going forward when Bombardier's contracts end in 2023. Whether that means that the operations and maintenance contracts after that date are given to Bombardier & PNR, some other third parties, taken in-house or some combination of all of them is up to whomever wins the tender for this contract.

Unless.....

You're right and the RFP is so poorly written that it's not worded that way.

Dan

Edit: Hmmm, on further thought....

There is one more option: It could be that Bombardier is doing this just to fuck with Metrolinx. But that takes a bit more of a leap of faith to accept than Metrolinx's inability to properly formulate RFPs and contracts - especially since doing so will cost Bombardier money.

Edited by smallspy

7 hours ago, smallspy said:

There is one more option: It could be that Bombardier is doing this just to fuck with Metrolinx. But that takes a bit more of a leap of faith to accept than Metrolinx's inability to properly formulate RFPs and contracts - especially since doing so will cost Bombardier money.

Hmm ... I think we simply have to wait and see what they file in court.

On 8/13/2017 at 0:02 PM, WMATAC40LF said:

There are 66 MP40PH-3Cs and only 1 MP54, so your odds of running into it aren't great. I'm pretty sure it's been in service recently though.

647 returned to service a couple of weeks ago after a long absence. MPI recently sent some technicians to Toronto to troubleshoot all of the problems that it was having.

4 hours ago, Transit 20 said:

yep this is the highest i seen here in kitchener 

8371 has entered service and 8372 should soon as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

so how many GO Enviro 500 is expecting this year?

Last year was 8300 to 8337 totalling 38 units. 

Starting with 8338 to the recent unit of 8372 coming soon would total 34 units (based on the recent post on the newest unit in-service). Week 33 is the current week and 34 would be next week.

Possibly, I would say 52 by the end of 2017 assuming a new unit a week. The current order is 253 SuperLo double deckers over 5 years. With 38 already delivered in 2016, there would still be 215 still outstanding (before the 150 option). Though anything can change depending on the production line too increasing the amount of available units delivered.

57 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Few were testing there a few weeks back and looked to have no issues, saw one a few days ago and @newflyerinvero I believe also spotted one.

Might I ask though, what file in the GTFS Data can you see what type of vehicle is supposed to service that trip

In the Trips file. In one of the columns it will show a run number such as "MDDS2311". That would be a DDS. Similarly if it's says "MDDL9108" that's a DDL. If it just says "Oshaw001" then that's an MCI. 

I decided to scour through the GTFS file and mark down all the designated SuperLo runs for routes 19, 27 and 34. Here they are:

19 Eastbound from Square One: 510, 540, 740, 840, 910, 1110, 1210, 1410, 1510, 1740 through 0010. 

19 Westbound from Finch: 620, 650, 720, 950, 1250, 1350, 1550, 1620, 1650, 1720, 1920 through 0050. 

27 Eastbound from Meadowvale: 1200, 1530, 2100

27 Westbound from Finch: 650, 1015, 1315, 1545 (only 27A with SuperLo), 2215. 

34 Eastbound from Pearson: 350, 550, 650, 720, 850 through 1250, 1450, 1550, 1720, 1750, 1820, 1950 through 250. 

34 Westbound from Pearson: 300, 500, 600, 630, 800 through 1200, 1400, 1600, 1630, 1700, 1900 through 200. 

Phil Verster to Join Metrolinx as CEO

Brings Strong Experience Running Large British Rail Services

Toronto, August 24, 2017 - Today the Board of Directors of Metrolinx appointed experienced rail operator Phil Verster as its new President and CEO.

Over the last 12 years, Mr. Verster has overseen operations and major construction of some of the most complex and customer intensive rail services in England, Scotland and Ireland. Among his most recent assignments as a Managing Director of Britain’s Network Rail have been running Scotland’s railway operations, the ScotRail Alliance, and initiating work on the East West Railway, a new rail line linking Britain’s high tech corridor between Oxford and Cambridge.

Mr. Verster was selected following an international search on behalf of Metrolinx. His start date is October 1, 2017.

Rob Prichard, Chairman of the Metrolinx Board, pointed to the unique set of criteria in Metrolinx’s search:

“We’re implementing a $34-billion transit build – the biggest transit investment in Ontario’s history and one of the largest in the world today. We’re quadrupling the number of weekly GO Train trips - from 1,500 to 6,000. We’re electrifying key GO rail lines to provide 15-minute express service all day long throughout the region, and we’re building new LRT lines to tie the region together. 

“Moreover, as we execute this massive transformation, we need to continue providing the current high level of daily transit service that people throughout the region depend on. We sought as our next CEO a person with deep domain expertise and substantial executive experience operating and building railways. There are few people in the transit and rail industry with the know-how, experience and executive skills to drive transformation and maintain service at the same time. Phil Verster is one of them. 

“Mr. Verster has graduate degrees in both engineering and business and a post-graduate diploma in law. He has operated, built and electrified commuter rail. He has the expertise and executive experience we need to deliver on our ambitious agenda, leading the 4,000 employees of Metrolinx and working with all of our partners. We are delighted the Mr. Verster has chosen to join Metrolinx.”

At ScotRail, Mr. Verster oversaw the delivery of $3 billion of new electrification of the Scottish railroad.

Most recently, at the East West Railway, Mr. Verster led successful efforts to re-launch the project through creative partnerships with the municipalities and local leaders it will serve while simultaneously designing and engineering the project in the most cost effective way.

Mr. Verster said: “I am very excited about joining the team of dedicated women and men at Metrolinx, and to be part of one of the most exciting transit transformations taking place anywhere in the world. I believe Ontario is the place to be. Not just because of the very large scale of investment being made in transit, but because of the dynamism, optimism and quality of life that has made this region so envied all over the world. 

“At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that all the investment, all the construction, all the new trains and services are not an end in themselves. They’re about improving the experience of passengers, contributing to communities and to the economy.”

TTC CEO Andy Byford welcomed Mr. Verster’s appointment: “I am delighted Phil Verster is coming to Toronto to lead Metrolinx. We worked together in London just over a decade ago in an executive team that turned around a poorly performing train operating company. He will be a superb leader for Metrolinx. He is smart, driven, good at delivery and gets things done. He will deliver both the projects and the change agenda for Metrolinx and GO. I very much look forward to working with him as our partner at the TTC.“

Sir Peter Hendy, Chair of Network Rail in Britain said: “Phil Verster is a great leader, a loss to the UK rail industry and a gain to the Canadian railroad industry. He has made a great contribution to ScotRail and to Network Rail as a Managing Director for the last six years. He has a great customer focus and a strong track record in supporting and developing teams to improve customer service and train service performance.”

Metrolinx is planning, building and delivering hundreds of projects and services across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area to move the region forward, and provide residents and businesses with a transportation system that is modern, efficient and integrated. Find out more about Metrolinx's Regional Transportation Plan for the GTHA. Find out more about GO Transit, PRESTO, and Union Pearson Express, divisions of Metrolinx.

Phil Verster Bio

Phil Verster is one of the UK’s rail leaders, having managed train operations, infrastructure builds and infrastructure management for passenger rail systems in England, Scotland and Ireland.

An engineer by training, Phil began his career in the electricity sector in his native South Africa. He moved to the UK in 1996, joining Rolls-Royce as a Director responsible for manufacturing and control systems projects. From 2001 to 2003, he was Depot Manager and Production Director for a UK division of Bombardier Rail.

Phil moved from the supplier side to passenger rail operations in 2003, as Engineering Operations Director of Southeastern Trains. He also spent five years at Irish Rail, where he served in different roles including Deputy CEO.

In 2011, Phil joined Britain’s Network Rail. His first assignment was Managing Director London North East and East Midlands Route (which includes the East Coast Main Line between London and Scotland), the second largest route in the Network Rail system. He pioneered a new approach to structured continuous improvement that delivered improved safety and train performance as well as an enhanced passenger experience.

Phil put the same innovation and discipline to work in his subsequent assignment for Network Rail running Scotland’s ScotRail passenger rail service, from 2015 to 2017. Since early 2017, Phil has served as Managing Director of Network Rail’s East West Railway, which will link Britain’s “Silicon Valley” between Oxford and Cambridge Universities.

Phil has a Bachelors of Engineering and a Masters of Engineering, both from the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa. He has an MBA from the University of Newcastle Business School and an LLM Post Graduate Diploma (Commercial Law) from the University of Northumbria, both in the UK.

Phil is married to Carol and they have two children, Jack and Robyn. He is an active marathoner, and an avid do-it-yourself home renovator.

7 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

still not seeing what you are I dont think,  The picture is the first bit of what I see when I open the Trips file in Notepad on Windows 10

Capture.PNG

In your screenshot, the easiest one to point out is the last line, which I've copied below (emphasis added):

09171217-51,20171124,20171124-51-51951,51 - Pickering GO,,0,MDDL9108,93052,1,1,51

1 minute ago, Articulated said:

In your screenshot, the easiest one to point out is the last line, which I've copied below (emphasis added):

09171217-51,20171124,20171124-51-51951,51 - Pickering GO,,0,MDDL9108,93052,1,1,51

Does anyone know how to identify which Depot the DD runs are out of? Do some of the numbers signify anything? Eg. In "MDDL9108" could it be the 9 means Oshawa? So DDL Run 108 out of Oshawa?  Not sure if this actually is Oshawa or not. 

Verster an interesting choice. Never heard a bad word when he was Chief Mechanical Engineer at Irish Rail, seems to have been caught flat footed by the politics of ScotRail. Was fortunate to land at East West Rail so quickly - wonder what they are thinking. Question is whether he will content himself with the nuts and bolts and let the Metrolinx political appointees set policy.

http://www.citynews.ca/video/2017/08/25/video-residents-protest-go-train-noise-in-their-neighbourhood/

1. Correct me if I am wrong, the horns are already plugged to a degree...

2. No horns = more fatalities, for an example me listening to Linkin Park at full blast with my Beats by Dre headphones. You will not hear the approaching train and or level crossing activated.

3. ROW is existed way before everything got developed......

4. Should we now tell emergency vehicles to stop using their lights and sirens now? Because the lights are distracting and the siren is too loud for my ears.

Just my two cents.