GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

that's mean no more GO BUS service between Waterloo and Toronto anymore?

More buses for everyone else.

Everybody wins! :P

With all the progress on the grade separations along the line, the all day both way service official announcement was just a matter of time...

Ill believe the all day two-way service when I see it. This is a biggest election ploy I have seen since, well all day two-way service was promised for Hamilton...and we can see how far that announcement has gone.

That's right, Government bodies will change at anytime!

They do have a different geo-fence set up, yes. I don't know how it appears at the control office however.

Dan

I believe they have a separate menu to see both the 80XX and 81XX.

And after that was all said and done..."all-day, two-way" service really meant two additional train trips each direction by 2016.

EDIT: To the benefit, Wynne did say AD2W service will eventually happen in the long-run. Perhaps KW could be added to The Big Move plans?

The funny part is that this isn't really a new announcement at all, but simply announcing the final bits of the "Phase 1" improvements for rail service to Kitchener. The layover yard, which will support these two additional trainsets, was the only part of the improvements that hadn't been started as yet.

Dan

Was there ever before a promise of all-day, two-way GO service all the way to Kitchener?

I think the promise was a general, 2WAD promise for all corridors in the last election.

I think the promise was a general, 2WAD promise for all corridors in the last election.

But when it came to specifics, I think the Kitchener Line all day service was to stop well short of Kitchener. So my point is that there is actually something real that has changed with this announcement.

But when it came to specifics, I think the Kitchener Line all day service was to stop well short of Kitchener. So my point is that there is actually something real that has changed with this announcement.

I think we're really just going to have to wait and see on this. There will eventually be all day service on the Kitchener line within the next 10 years, but whether it will actually serve all stops on the line is something I am highly skeptical of. The whole point of this announcement was really to drum up attention to "improvements" that are being made to the GO system ahead of the upcoming election. Really there's no new important news here.

I think we're really just going to have to wait and see on this. There will eventually be all day service on the Kitchener line within the next 10 years, but whether it will actually serve all stops on the line is something I am highly skeptical of. The whole point of this announcement was really to drum up attention to "improvements" that are being made to the GO system ahead of the upcoming election. Really there's no new important news here.

Premier Wynne referenced the Kitchener tech business case for two-way all-day GO service, which indicates a different priority and motivation for service increases. That has been a huge push by Kitchener-Waterloo, Communitech, and so on. That it is part of the rationale for Wynne's promise implies support for the economic growth justification that the business case is focused on.

Wasn't the plan for Kitchener all along to start with 2 trains each way and then eventually grow to 4 or more in the coming years as ridership grew? Also, while the work being done in the corridor through Toronto at present is necessary, there's more to be done through Brampton especially before AD2W is possible even as far as Mount Pleasant, let alone Kitchener. Believe me, I would love to see more service ASAP or even by next summer when all they are doing now is supposed to be done, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wasn't the plan for Kitchener all along to start with 2 trains each way and then eventually grow to 4 or more in the coming years as ridership grew?

The initial plan was for 4 peak-hour trains to Toronto in the morning, and 4 back in the afternoon, with a layover facility in Baden. What was actually launched in 2011 was a scaled back version, with just two trains each way. There were no specific promises about more service.

Good news in the long run.

I'd still like to see at least one train running the reverse direction to get to Kitchener during AM peak.

These improvements, if the schedule won't be much different than the one in the EA, would actually make two-way peak service a lot harder to run. The current schedule, after the Guelph and Acton sidings are reactivated, would have room for trips from Toronto around 6:10 and Kitchener around 17:40, while the EA schedule wouldn't have any time left for an afternoon peak Kitchener departure.

These improvements, if the schedule won't be much different than the one in the EA, would actually make two-way peak service a lot harder to run. The current schedule, after the Guelph and Acton sidings are reactivated, would have room for trips from Toronto around 6:10 and Kitchener around 17:40, while the EA schedule wouldn't have any time left for an afternoon peak Kitchener departure.

Though by then the signalling should have been completed. VIA and CN used to run bi-directional AM and PM peak passenger service. Trains would meet in a siding or station.

I wonder what the timeframe for double-tracking is.

A Metrolinx spokesman yesterday didn't preclude a morning train to KW, commenting that "That doesn't mean that it won't happen in 2016" http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/go-no-firm-plans-for-a-m-toronto-to-kitchener-trains-by-2016-1.2579826

Though by then the signalling should have been completed. VIA and CN used to run bi-directional AM and PM peak passenger service. Trains would meet in a siding or station.

I wonder what the timeframe for double-tracking is.

Double tracking is definitely the huge barrier in all this, now that VIA is working on installing CTC. The Georgetown to Kitchener ESR lists double tracking between Silver and Baden layover, a third track between Mt. Pleasant and Silver, and other associated rail improvements as being $318 million. Not a small chunk of change.

Were they in the new paint?

Of course!

Just spotted 6 go double deckers here in Halifax at the port.

In a rate, they are pushing it to have it all delivered.

Meanwhile, we are now retiring 2003-04 MCI, units are varies.