GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

I'm planning a trip to Nigara Falls and i want to go there by GO Bus since its cheaper. I need to travel from Guelph. what routes would I need to take from Square one to get to Niagara or any of the towns that have the Niagara Region Transit so I can easily connect. Thank you!

Why not go Guelph to Kitchener by GO then take Megabus down?

It appears that part of the Richmond Hill line was closed by CN RTC this morning due to flooding (and the DVP too... what a nightmare). GO said they were running trains from Richmond Hill GO Station via "different routing" due to the closure; in this case, did/would they go across the York/Halton subs to the Weston sub at Halwest, or would they have reversed onto the Newmarket sub north of York University? I guess they'd have to wye the trains afterwards either way, but maybe I'm missing something.

The trains ran south down the Bala, turned west along the York at Doncaster, and then reversed on the east-to-north connecting track at Snider to run south on the Newmarket and Weston to Union. No wying was necessary, as the trains deadheaded north along that same route to begin service.

Dan

The trains ran south down the Bala, turned west along the York at Doncaster, and then reversed on the east-to-north connecting track at Snider to run south on the Newmarket and Weston to Union. No wying was necessary, as the trains deadheaded north along that same route to begin service.Dan

Something up with them going home too. If you look now on the Go Tracker - http://www.gotracker.ca/gotracker/web/ you can see the 17:00 out of Union heading east on the track just north of Steeles, just about to cost Dufferin. I'm not sure which sub that was.

The reverse of Dan's post you quoted.

Oh is that Bala? I always thought the Bala was one of the ones up the Don. My bad.

Still, neat to see that when the trains go into strange detours, that the tracker shows where they are!

BTW, wasn't there a way to see buses on the Tracker? Thought crossed my mind on a rare GO Bus trip out of Unionville, which wasn't showing up.

Unknown 8000 series GO Double Decker at Burlington GO at 3:45pm this afternoon preparing to leave for the Route 12 at 3:51pm. This means the DDs are serving the Niagara Falls GO bus route as of now.

The detour route to get to teh north end fo the GO station (especially for the older DDs) should be (from Niagara) QEW to Brant, left on Old Plains Road then right into the GO Station. To Niagara, I imagine they would use Queensway, Guelph Line to westbound QEW. I'm not sure how the height of the QEW bridge over Brant would be tall enough for the DD to clear.

Oh is that Bala? I always thought the Bala was one of the ones up the Don. My bad.

The Bala runs north-south - and is the one that the Richmond Hill line runs on.

The line that connects all of them across the top of the City from Keele east is the York Subdivision. That is the east-west line that the trains took from the Newmarket Sub.

BTW, wasn't there a way to see buses on the Tracker? Thought crossed my mind on a rare GO Bus trip out of Unionville, which wasn't showing up.

There is, not not one that is publicly accessible. Someone figured out a way into it, and I'm not honestly sure if they closed that loophole.

Dan

See: http://goo.gl/maps/iJqdg (doesn't auto-update). I'll check to see if non-trainbus lines can be made available.

That's pretty nifty, shame the individual labels on the map don't specify what it exactly each bus is/what route it's serving (as per the sidebar). Pretty neat that it shows speed of the bus too.

8100-series double deckers are now serving route 12, counted 4 of them-8110,8116, and 2 others- at the NF bus terminal Wednesday night

That's typical as they are heading to NF in preparation for summer!

Better cross your fingers, hoping the reliability will do better without any breakdown!

That's pretty nifty, shame the individual labels on the map don't specify what it exactly each bus is/what route it's serving (as per the sidebar). Pretty neat that it shows speed of the bus too.

The other one did. ;) Presumably the data is still available, and the display program just needs to enable showing it.

If you click on the icons, it will bring up the info. (EDIT: hmmm, not always. Odd. Will try and fix that.)

I may try and produce a version more like this: http://www.gotracker...ipmentTrip=true (trains, with extra info)

Some hightlights of the below article:

- The new James North GO station will only serve four additional train trips on the Lakeshore line upon opening, two outbound during the AM rush and two inbound during the PM rush, in 2015.

-The Hamilton GO centre will remain open and continue to operate at existing service levels.

-Metrolinx has not given a definte timetable in regards to bringing all day, two-way service to Hamilton, at least until 2020. (Source)

An official GO for GO station on James North

The new James Street North GO station will have an attached parking complex for 300 vehicles and bring two more commuter trains in and out of Hamilton a day.

The official details on the James Street North GO Station were revealed Friday by Ontario's minister of transportation.

“It's not often that you get to build a new train station,” MPP Glen Murray told media at a news conference Friday afternoon. Murray formally announced the new GO station, located at 353 James Street North near Liuna Station, along with local MPP Ted McMeekin and Mayor Bob Bratina.

The station will include an attached, multi-level parking complex with 300 spots. Murray said there will be two additional train trips from Hamilton to Toronto in the morning, and two more trips from Toronto to Hamilton in the afternoon, keeping with Metrolinx's all-day service commitment. Service from the James North station is meant to complement service out of the downtown terminal.

“CP and CN own the track after Aldershot...There is a lot of competition for space and time between Hamilton and Aldershot so we continually negotiate with them,” Murray said. “Having the second station will open up additional access to additional rail lines allowing us to have two more trains in the morning and two more in the afternoon.”

Murray said the province currently rents the tracks for regional commuter service. Next step to him is getting GO service rights-of-way in the Aldershot area to make the service smoother.

At an April 30 meeting, Metrolinx revealed the station will have a large, outdoor plaza.

“We're still seeking a lot of feedback from the community,” said Paul Finnerty, Metrolinx's vice-president of operations for GO Transit. “We want to ensure this building fits in with the area residents.

While there is a rough design for the new station, the final cost won't be known for some time. A bidding process will determine who will design and construct the new station, if the government doesn't build it in-house.

“The way we manage these contracts depends. Some are built by the government and some are built by a traditional tender system,” he said. “There is a criteria we go through as a government to determine which one gets us the best value and the best service product at the end.”

But Murray said the station will be paid for in part by the $16 billion in transit funding from the Ontario government to the Greater Toronto and Hamilton area.

Construction and service implementation will be a two-stage process, said Finnerty. Stage one is slated for completion by the July 2015 Pan Am Games. That includes construction and the all-day, two-way service. Stage two will begin after the Games in August 2015. That will be the remainder of construction and assessing more frequent service, he said.

James Street North GO Station construction is expected to start in early 2014.

Source: CBC

I noticed a display board on Platform 3 at Union Station stating a number of trains would be put onto new tracks effective June 3rd (last Monday). I wasn't able to fully read the sign as I was rushing to make my bus connection, but some of my observed highlights are:

• All Stouffville trains have moved from platform 7 to platform 24
  • All Richmond Hill trains have moved from platform 3 to platform 5
  • Some Lakeshore trains have moved (unknown which ones or from/to where)
  • Presumably if platform 3 was vacated by Richmond Hill trains, Kitchener trains also moved platforms.

None of this information has been posted on GO's website from what I could find (presumably to prevent people from assuming trains will always board on certain platforms).