GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

The 04 V Subs might get it since they haven't gotten their rebuild yet.

12 years? I thought they keep it till 15 years until they retire it?

I have to go agree with you on this one. As a number of the Orions have already been refurbed, they may keep the old livery. If they do it with the newer Orions however, it'll look interesting due to the low height of the Orions in comparison to the MCIs/Enviros.

what will happen to the Prevosts and Vs after they're retired????

(and please don't say the same fate as MT's 97 60ft's)

Whereas MT's 97xxs were apparently garbage, the Prevosts at least should still be useful. Maybe by that corporation that runs shuttle services to a New York airport, using poorly-maintained busses?

----

As for why things don't happen sooner, the best answer is one given this weekend in an article in the Toronto Star. It was on page 9000, by the way, so that's why nobody saw it. The answer is this: while GO is constantly getting new equipment, the passengers are growing faster. I think that The Star quoted a 5% growth in capacity, and a 7% growth in ridership, over the past year. Somebody might want to look this up.

Those Vs are stainless steel and should last as long as 18 years. I hope someone buys them; cough*YRT*cough for express service just like they did with the D40S which was in much worse condition than the Vs.

Those Vs are stainless steel and should last as long as 18 years. I hope someone buys them; cough*YRT*cough for express service just like they did with the D40S which was in much worse condition than the Vs.

That would only make sense, since YRT got so many of the city V's when they took over the Yonge and Bayview routes

The thing though is, YRT's trying to lower the average age of their fleet and seems to be aiming for a New Flyer/EZ Rider fleet. When GO retires the first of the Orions, 1-2 years from now, will YRT want to accept buses that are about 9-10 years old?

The thing though is, YRT's trying to lower the average age of their fleet and seems to be aiming for a New Flyer/EZ Rider fleet. When GO retires the first of the Orions, 1-2 years from now, will YRT want to accept buses that are about 9-10 years old?

true

Someone else will pick they up if they are sold for a good price since they are in good shape

Has anyone heard anything reliable about the long term future of the Suburban class of vehicle in GO's fleet? Does GO intend to buy more, or do they see this fading away given the decrease in service on Newmarket when Viva started and the pending withdrawal of 94 Highway 2 service when the Durham BRT starts up? Are there any other routes left that are really suited to this class of vehicle?

Has anyone heard anything reliable about the long term future of the Suburban class of vehicle in GO's fleet? Does GO intend to buy more, or do they see this fading away given the decrease in service on Newmarket when Viva started and the pending withdrawal of 94 Highway 2 service when the Durham BRT starts up? Are there any other routes left that are really suited to this class of vehicle?
Someone else will pick they up if they are sold for a good price since they are in good shape

Any transit agency could really purchase these buses if they want to, think of all of them in the States as well. They are in excellent shape and have more amenities than a standard Orion V for the passengers, which could make for a cheaper bus to purchase for coach bus companies, with basically the same comforts as those like Prevosts and MCIs.

I also wouldn't mind finding out what GO plans on doing with the retired 1500s. They're just sitting at the Newmarket garage, so I wonder where they are going next.

Any transit agency could really purchase these buses if they want to, think of all of them in the States as well. They are in excellent shape and have more amenities than a standard Orion V for the passengers, which could make for a cheaper bus to purchase for coach bus companies, with basically the same comforts as those like Prevosts and MCIs.

No disrespect, but I have a hard time saying that these buses are as comfortable as a coach. There is noticeably less legroom on all forward-facing rows, and quite a few aisles have legroom very significantly impeded by the wheelwell.

No disrespect, but I have a hard time saying that these buses are as comfortable as a coach. There is noticeably less legroom on all forward-facing rows, and quite a few aisles have legroom very significantly impeded by the wheelwell.

The Prevosts aren't all that comfortable either.

Presenting...

IMG_5667.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

How many are they doing at a time? They didnt do that to the Orion V's thou.

I also wouldn't mind finding out what GO plans on doing with the retired 1500s. They're just sitting at the Newmarket garage, so I wonder where they are going next.

What did they do with the 102A3s? Probably retired since they have huge mileage and were in horrible shape if I were to guess?

The Prevosts aren't all that comfortable either.

How many are they doing at a time? They didnt do that to the Orion V's thou.

On the master board, I saw 2100-2103 went in for refurb at the same time. 2104 was put on the board the moment 2100 came back.

On a similar suburban topic; I asked an old GO bus driver about where GO used to put the D40Ses. He said they weren't meant for 94 but were mostly used for 62. Is this true? What was the purpose of buying 51 D40Ses in 1991 if they weren't meant for stop and go routes like 94? I'm sure even 62 at its peak doesn't need 51 buses!

What did they do with the 102A3s? Probably retired since they have huge mileage and were in horrible shape if I were to guess?

I'm going to ask around and see if I can find anybody that knows what's going on with them, and possibly see if I can enter the garage area to take photos of them.

It's just your average transit bus, not a truly motorcoach feel.

On a similar suburban topic; I asked an old GO bus driver about where GO used to put the D40Ses. He said they weren't meant for 94 but were mostly used for 62. Is this true? What was the purpose of buying 51 D40Ses in 1991 if they weren't meant for stop and go routes like 94? I'm sure even 62 at its peak doesn't need 51 buses!

It was sorely for the Newmarket route IIRC, but keep that in mind that D40 Suburban were Durcharme's idea to buy something cheaper.

Did they re-do the seats or anything in the interior?

The seats are the same (same green material), not fully sure about the interior. I went on a refurbed one and it seemed pretty clean, also, I could've sworn the perpendicular seating had a different passenger lighting system, but I am not certain.

The seats are the same (same green material), not fully sure about the interior. I went on a refurbed one and it seemed pretty clean, also, I could've sworn the perpendicular seating had a different passenger lighting system, but I am not certain.

I ride the 52 everyday from Langstaff to Oshawa, and always wonder if the tires on those busses are worn below the legal limit. There are a lot of bald rear tires out there, esp on the 2100 D4500's.

I noticed that the 23XX have new tired on them when they are delivered, but they arent black, but more of a greyish colour. Did the tire companies change their compounds? Or is it just less colouring?

I ride the 52 everyday from Langstaff to Oshawa, and always wonder if the tires on those busses are worn below the legal limit. There are a lot of bald rear tires out there, esp on the 2100 D4500's.

I noticed that the 23XX have new tired on them when they are delivered, but they arent black, but more of a greyish colour. Did the tire companies change their compounds? Or is it just less colouring?

Those tires for D4500 wears out very fast!

It's just your average transit bus, not a truly motorcoach feel.

It was sorely for the Newmarket route IIRC, but keep that in mind that D40 Suburban were Durcharme's idea to buy something cheaper.

The D40S were used mostly on the Wonderland route, Yonge-Newmarket Route and Brampton-York Mills route. Sometimes they were seen on Hwy 2 - Oshawa service