Jump to content

The Bus (Honolulu, HI)


busfreak99

Recommended Posts

Some disagreement as to whether the pictured bus is a New Flyer or a Nova Bus. I can’t tell whether it’s a 40-foot or 60-foot bus. If a 60-footer, is there a rear door? Nova Bus order was for 60-foot buses only. New Flyer 40-footers were supposed to come starting in 2025. Could it be for another transit agency with similar colors?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Love it!!

Always makes my day to see anything other than a Gillig... where I pretty much expected to see only Gilligs.

That bus.. looks like a diesel or hybrid? Or if it's electric, it's the first example of an XE40 that I've seen with a back window.

Are there any more details on this New Flyer order for Oahu? Seems like it came out of nowhere -- yet a very pleasant surprise!

 

 

Pretty sure these are XD40's (https://hands.ehawaii.gov/hands/opportunities/opportunity-details/21032)

But agreed... I certainly like seeing anything that's not a Gillig running around

It was listed on the wiki for a while and there was some discussion a few months back here about why the city ordered XD40's instead of XE40's, and I think someone quoted Roger Morton saying that these are the last Diesels we'll be getting

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Williamv said:

Some disagreement as to whether the pictured bus is a New Flyer or a Nova Bus. I can’t tell whether it’s a 40-foot or 60-foot bus. If a 60-footer, is there a rear door? Nova Bus order was for 60-foot buses only. New Flyer 40-footers were supposed to come starting in 2025. Could it be for another transit agency with similar colors?

Dude that took the picture said themselves it was a New Flyer, and its pretty clear it's a 40 footer. I only know TheBus's livery but I'm pretty damn sure that's our buses. Since DTS ordered 38 buses, maybe this is one of the first out of the factory.

Also: We finally got to 69 pages, nice.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Georgempql said:

Oh yeah now that we know that buses 6032 to (presumably) 6040 aren't going to be New Flyer XD60's can we have someone update the wiki?

The order to Nova Bus was for 35 buses. If we are getting 16 this year, the numbers would go up to 6047. The remaining 19 next year would take it to 6066. Any ideas for numbering the 38 New Flyer 40-footers? The bus in the photo appears to have a number 1 in the upper right hand corner, but we can disregard that.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Williamv said:

The order to Nova Bus was for 35 buses. If we are getting 16 this year, the numbers would go up to 6047. The remaining 19 next year would take it to 6066. Any ideas for numbering the 38 New Flyer 40-footers? The bus in the photo appears to have a number 1 in the upper right hand corner, but we can disregard that.

I'd presume 4031-4069?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a couple more questions about Hawaii so I can plan for my trip.

1: What is the NEX shuttle fleet and what are the original TheBus unit numbers.

2: Are there any Series 50 buses left in service anywhere (NEX and other services).

 

Thanks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, TrainWatcher2128 said:

I have a couple more questions about Hawaii so I can plan for my trip.

1: What is the NEX shuttle fleet and what are the original TheBus unit numbers.

2: Are there any Series 50 buses left in service anywhere (NEX and other services).

 

Thanks.

A 300, 700, some 600, series Gillig Phantoms were transferred over to the Pearl Harbour NEX but I don't exactly know or could find any other details

Also, what do you mean by Series 50? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Georgempql said:

A 300, 700, some 600, series Gillig Phantoms were transferred over to the Pearl Harbour NEX but I don't exactly know or could find any other details

Also, what do you mean by Series 50? 

By series 50, I am wondering if there are any active vehicles with a Detroit Diesel Series 50 engine anywhere on Oahu. Furthermore, I just noticed that some RTS buses might still be kicking around at NEX?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2024 at 11:04 AM, TrainWatcher2128 said:

By series 50, I am wondering if there are any active vehicles with a Detroit Diesel Series 50 engine anywhere on Oahu. Furthermore, I just noticed that some RTS buses might still be kicking around at NEX?

Ah, as for either of those I have no idea.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2024 at 11:59 AM, Border City Transit said:

Love it!!

Always makes my day to see anything other than a Gillig... where I pretty much expected to see only Gilligs.

That bus.. looks like a diesel or hybrid? Or if it's electric, it's the first example of an XE40 that I've seen with a back window.

Are there any more details on this New Flyer order for Oahu? Seems like it came out of nowhere -- yet a very pleasant surprise!

 

 

From what I’ve heard, they are XD40s

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2024 at 8:55 PM, Georgempql said:

OH

I WAS RIGHT THEY'RE GOING TO THE KALIHI YARD

Thank you very much for the photos though much appreciated!

No problem, I drive the Kalihi artics regularly so it was a nice, very pleasant surprise that I suddenly saw them in the yard yesterday. I drove my car around the yard again today to see if more Nova artics came in, but so far there’s only two Nova artics. Dispatch said that only 8 are on the island right now, all going to Kalihi. Here are a few more pictures I took again today from the Kalihi yard.

CDD5E27A-D087-42DE-A57D-A6237488CCF0.jpeg

4EE921CE-18F9-4582-B095-A055B8959C09.jpeg

38C0C78D-537C-49EB-ADD7-D7AD6B3B514A.jpeg

01A6ECA0-E4DA-4BF5-A4CB-C3A932287C32.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, honolulu274 said:

No problem, I drive the Kalihi artics regularly so it was a nice, very pleasant surprise that I suddenly saw them in the yard yesterday. I drove my car around the yard again today to see if more Nova artics came in, but so far there’s only two Nova artics. Dispatch said that only 8 are on the island right now, all going to Kalihi. Here are a few more pictures I took again today from the Kalihi yard.

CDD5E27A-D087-42DE-A57D-A6237488CCF0.jpeg

4EE921CE-18F9-4582-B095-A055B8959C09.jpeg

38C0C78D-537C-49EB-ADD7-D7AD6B3B514A.jpeg

01A6ECA0-E4DA-4BF5-A4CB-C3A932287C32.jpeg

Oh! When do you usually drive? I commute on route 1 daily

Nice to see the new driver's side window, my friend wanted that confirmed on the Gen 4's. Could just barely make out two of em when I went today (Owen Street has a good -ish publicly accessible view of the yard) so glad that confirmed my observations.

Also on that first image- does 6162-6034 potentially mean the amount of artics buses they intend to have after fully replacing the old LFR's? I know they only have 35 on order but I'm just thinking aloud here

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Georgempql said:

Oh! When do you usually drive? I commute on route 1 daily

Nice to see the new driver's side window, my friend wanted that confirmed on the Gen 4's. Could just barely make out two of em when I went today (Owen Street has a good -ish publicly accessible view of the yard) so glad that confirmed my observations.

Also on that first image- does 6162-6034 potentially mean the amount of artics buses they intend to have after fully replacing the old LFR's? I know they only have 35 on order but I'm just thinking aloud here

I’m a regular route 2 driver but I occasionally drive the route 1 as well when they cancel my day off work. I really don’t know what 6162 means but I have a closer picture of that paper. Also, both Nova artics moved into the shop today. Not sure if they allow drivers to take pictures but I went inside and did so anyways lol

3B8B50B2-D6CF-4940-BACD-1E3AB08D32DC.jpeg

2A43F2CB-C9EA-4726-8AED-03B584FEFDF5.jpeg

7823DAA1-DFA5-4655-AD86-2C117B03DA48.jpeg

E933ABCA-7A1A-417E-9748-3F41392AC80C.jpeg

Also I noticed that these new Nova artics seemed to have less seats than our current new flyer artics that we have, especially near the front of the bus. The inside layout is totally different than our current 40 foot Novas.

01D8E688-7EC0-41CF-A14B-B6C6CAADC672.jpeg

FD37041A-BD9D-4DC2-9777-D491D4A2F3DE.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Driver’s seat seems spacious!!

5DBA6A89-7584-4124-A2AE-6C823CAF39E1.jpeg

14 hours ago, Georgempql said:

Oh! When do you usually drive? I commute on route 1 daily

Nice to see the new driver's side window, my friend wanted that confirmed on the Gen 4's. Could just barely make out two of em when I went today (Owen Street has a good -ish publicly accessible view of the yard) so glad that confirmed my observations.

Also on that first image- does 6162-6034 potentially mean the amount of artics buses they intend to have after fully replacing the old LFR's? I know they only have 35 on order but I'm just thinking aloud here

 

467DEF8A-0D47-4458-9158-B6475F44D5D0.jpeg

C2342395-E050-41BA-A18C-800518A0ECD0.jpeg

8C9F70F6-E982-4988-94A0-0402FAD0FFD4.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, honolulu274 said:

I’m a regular route 2 driver but I occasionally drive the route 1 as well when they cancel my day off work. I really don’t know what 6162 means but I have a closer picture of that paper. Also, both Nova artics moved into the shop today. Not sure if they allow drivers to take pictures but I went inside and did so anyways lol

3B8B50B2-D6CF-4940-BACD-1E3AB08D32DC.jpeg

2A43F2CB-C9EA-4726-8AED-03B584FEFDF5.jpeg

7823DAA1-DFA5-4655-AD86-2C117B03DA48.jpeg

E933ABCA-7A1A-417E-9748-3F41392AC80C.jpeg

Also I noticed that these new Nova artics seemed to have less seats than our current new flyer artics that we have, especially near the front of the bus. The inside layout is totally different than our current 40 foot Novas.

01D8E688-7EC0-41CF-A14B-B6C6CAADC672.jpeg

FD37041A-BD9D-4DC2-9777-D491D4A2F3DE.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Damn nice pictures! I count 47 seats in total. I don't know how I feel about that interior though, I already see those side facing seats looking yucky in a few years.

Also damn, no front facing seat on the wheel behind the door. That's always my favourite spot to sit on the XD60's and Gilligs, I'm gonna have to get used to that.

That and the driver's side window livery? Looks like they shoehorned the old nova livery into this one and it looks sorta awkward. And that back middle seat? What's with that bar there?

On the bright side, those passenger displays look amazing! I hope they make actual use out of those digital displays versus what they did with bus 4017's basically functionless tv screen. I'll also want to see that articulation joint in action

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...