The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

busfreak99

6 hours ago, eli said:

Will we get 38 new electric buses or 7 in 2024?

“The Honolulu Department of Transportation Services will receive $20 million for electric buses, which will replace diesel buses. Each new electric bus costs roughly $1.1 million, according to a City and County of Honolulu press release. Currently, Oahu has 17 electric buses in operation. The City plans to use the federal grant, plus additional federal and local funds, to add as many as 38 electric buses to the fleet. The new buses will be in operation by 2024.”

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

An addition to roster: 500-509 1968 T6H5305A 386-377. Built (along with 600-606) for Hawaiian Scenic Tours, order cancelled, sat for three years somewhere until bought by city 3/71. Probably renumbered when ex HRT 900-939 became 501-540, but no idea to what. Some sources say to 750-759, but unlikely as Wahiawa 60-69 became 751-760.

In addition, what was Leeward 701? Contemporary newspaper articles state Leeward had 13 buses, but roster shows only 12, 702-713 r# 701-712.

Finally,  981-1004 Gilligs were the ones  r# 481-499, 476-480

• Thanks 1

Congratulations to DTS, OTS, and the state of Hawaii for getting Skyline opened! From what I could tell, everything ran smoothly which is the best possible outcome on opening day!

I was thinking, with all of the route changes and such, once upon a time there used to be a listing of sign codes that was printed and placed up by the advertising space at the front of the bus. I know that with the changing technologies the need for that has kind of gone away, but does that kind of comprehensive listing still exist somewhere? Is there an updated listing of the new codes or routes somewhere? What about the new PR codes - I know that over the last couple years I've seen some of the best PR sign programming I have experienced in the country coming from TheBus, honestly likely related to them sticking to the same headsign manufacturer for so many years (Luminator). Not asking for the codes per se (again, pretty useless for the most part), but more for the comprehensive list of routings for each route number.

• Thanks 1

I do think a few more bus routes can still be modified to maximize the skyline rail ridership. How about the route 42 be split into two sections with the eastern portion of 42 going from Waikiki to Aloha Stadium, and the western portion of 42 starting at Ewa Beach and terminating at West Loch station?

Local bus service along Waipahu and Pearl City/Aiea can be serviced by just route 40 and 51 so that more people can ride the Skyline. Route 42 bus riders from Ewa Beach that need local bus service through Waipahu to Aiea can transfer to the 40 for local bus stops, or better yet, ride the trains if their destinations are close enough to the stations, which will increase skyline ridership. 

Maybe at 7pm and later, when the Skyline train service ends for the day, then the route 42 can service its full line from Waikiki to Ewa Beach.

Route A can also just terminate at Aloha Stadium like the 20 and 1L, so people going to Pearlridge can ride the rail, also increasing ridership for Skyline.

Any thoughts on this?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, honolulu274 said:

Wow, that rail symbol on the 1L destination sign looks really cool. I wonder if the route 20 has two symbols, the rail and airport symbols since the 20 also terminates at the Aloha Stadium rail station and it goes through the airport as well. 

The Route 20 does not have both symbols unfortunately. I have seen both destination signs (one stating just Aloha Stadium Station and another displaying Airport - AZ Mem - Aloha Stadium Station) and no symbols were seen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheBus Honolulu OTS said:

The Route 20 does not have both symbols unfortunately. I have seen both destination signs (one stating just Aloha Stadium Station and another displaying Airport - AZ Mem - Aloha Stadium Station) and no symbols were seen

Were you able to see if the route A has the rail symbol?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, honolulu274 said:

Maybe at 7pm and later, when the Skyline train service ends for the day, then the route 42 can service its full line from Waikiki to Ewa Beach.

I think this key fact has been omitted from a majority of the dialogue regarding the opening rail service operating hours, seemingly intentionally. There needs to be enhanced bus service once the rail goes to hibernate at the unusually early time of 7pm. The priority for the entire rail system should be to increase operating hours to (at a minimum) 11pm as soon as possible. In the meantime, there really should be added A CityExpress! service to Waipahu from 7pm to the end of the existing service time.

I also like the use of the rail symbol for the bus routes that intersect or terminate at the rail stations. However, I am not really in love with that sign design.

Maybe something like (with the * denoting the rail logo):

1L*  HALAWA STATION
           Limited Stops

1L* ALOHA STADIUM STA
           Limited Stops

1L*     VIA SALT LAKE
           Limited Stops

I hate the individual screen for the "via" information but at least the Limited Stops information would always be on. The other sign option feels a little off balance to me - again, personal opinion only.

• Thanks 1

Found out a few days ago but forgot to share it here. So what I do want to say is Route A does serve Waipahu but as Route 40. After rail hours, Route A has a peak hour destination departing UH Manoa as "A CityExpress! Aloha Stadium." After the peak hour trip ends, it doesn't end there just yet. It will go on to Waipahu as a Route 40 showing/displaying as "40 Waipahu - Leoku Street." So fortunately, there is Waipahu service for Route A (technically) but unfortunately not in the daytimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 8:23 AM, Williamv said:

“The Honolulu Department of Transportation Services will receive $20 million for electric buses, which will replace diesel buses. Each new electric bus costs roughly $1.1 million, according to a City and County of Honolulu press release. Currently, Oahu has 17 electric buses in operation. The City plans to use the federal grant, plus additional federal and local funds, to add as many as 38 electric buses to the fleet. The new buses will be in operation by 2024.”

It says TheBus is getting 7 electric buses in 2024. We still haven’t received the remaining 24 diesel buses or the Nova artics yet.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 12:40 AM, Only1Moore said:

It says TheBus is getting 7 electric buses in 2024. We still haven’t received the remaining 24 diesel buses or the Nova artics yet.

We also haven’t seen the 9 remaining 60-foot New Flyer buses, if the order listed as 6001-6040 is correct. I’d still like to know how and why the number of new electric buses for 2024 went from 19 to 38 to 7.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2023 at 2:54 PM, honolulu274 said:

Wow, that rail symbol on the 1L destination sign looks really cool. I wonder if the route 20 has two symbols, the rail and airport symbols since the 20 also terminates at the Aloha Stadium rail station and it goes through the airport as well. 

I rode the A to Pearlridge yesterday and saw the 20 in front of me, and it only had the Airport symbol on it… but that was after it had passed Hālawa/Aloha Stadium station. So I'm not sure! I can look & let you know next time I see it.

Edit: Ah, it was already answered:

On 7/2/2023 at 3:29 PM, TheBus Honolulu OTS said:

BTW, here's another photo of the symbol looks like, on the display on the side:

train.png

Edited by eli
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, eli said:

I rode the A to Pearlridge yesterday and saw the 20 in front of me, and it only had the Airport symbol on it… but that was after it had passed Hālawa/Aloha Stadium station. So I'm not sure! I can look & let you know next time I see it.

Edit: Ah, it was already answered:

BTW, here's another photo of the symbol looks like, on the display on the side:

train.png

It seems like Route 20 does have the Airplane symbol, guessing TheBus did update the destination sign. But it doesn't show for the symbol showing "20 Aloha Stadium" though.

TheBus has updated the destination sign for Route 1L. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get a pic since my connecting bus arrived. But it goes something like this...

1L🚇 Aloha Stadium via Salt Lake

Skyline Stn Limited Stops

1L🚇 Halawa via Salt Lake

Skyline Stn Limited Stops

Until I get a picture for a clear understanding, that is how it kinda goes

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 2:23 PM, Williamv said:

Are they getting NFI, Gillig in mainland USA or Scania EVs buses in Europe