The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

busfreak99

The U.S. Has a Fleet of 300 Electric Buses. China Has 421,000

The rest of the world will struggle for years to match China’s rapid embrace of electric transit.

(This information is two years old but still relevant. Where there’s a will...)

On 4/28/2021 at 10:39 AM, Pink_91119 said:

Does anyone know what’s up with the 15x buses and the A? I’ve seen the 15x’s moving around on the 1 but then back to the A. 

With the new scheduling it appears that PC is covering some of the Route 1 trips. Super interesting to see PC drivers make sense of Kalihi's runs...

On 5/4/2021 at 8:55 AM, Jared Kam said:

With the new scheduling it appears that PC is covering some of the Route 1 trips. Super interesting to see PC drivers make sense of Kalihi's runs...

Interesting, I have buses 137, 141, 145, 146, 147, and 150 marked down as Kalihi. I guess I’m changing them back to PC. Thanks! 

On 5/3/2021 at 10:27 AM, Honolulu TheBus said:

Big question, does anyone have rode the new 30s gillig busses yet? And does anyone have a recording of it?

Also mention that i haven't seen Bus 170 on GPS or am I wrong? Did the bus retired or something, i might be wrong but, this is just a question.

I believe the 30s are just 2020 models of the 2016 20 series. They should be similar. 

Bus 170 might not have been taken out but I can’t be certain. I doubt it would have been retired since shes only 11 years old. TheBus has more important buses to retire if you know what I mean

20 hours ago, Pink_91119 said:

Interesting, I have buses 137, 141, 145, 146, 147, and 150 marked down as Kalihi. I guess I’m changing them back to PC. Thanks! 

I believe the 30s are just 2020 models of the 2016 20 series. They should be similar. 

Weren't 137 and 141 previously the "Silver Bullets"? I thought that entire series was retired early? Those were Kalihi buses from what I remember. And it is certainly possible that artics were moved around with the last of the 890's arriving. Which I have to say are pretty nice artics.

My understanding is that the 30's have seats above the curbside wheelwell similar to the Nova's. I also heard that those buses are particularly nice from a driver friend. They've hit a sweet spot in my opinion on specs for both Gillig and New Flyer - some of the nicest buses in the country off the factory line I would say. I just wish they took a little better care of them cosmetically.

We will continue to wait and see what their next moves are with 40' and 60' RFP's out. Though I don't see TheBus straying from Gillig on 40' buses, if Nova puts in a competitive bid on artics we might see another fleet of Novabuses on the road. TheBus still feels that the 800 series Phantoms are best on particular missions, likening their capacity as in between 40' and 60' buses, meaning that they may stick around for a while longer. However, the last 300-series bus I saw on the road earlier this year looked real tired.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:06 PM, Pink_91119 said:

Bus 170 might not have been taken out but I can’t be certain. I doubt it would have been retired since shes only 11 years old. TheBus has more important buses to retire if you know what I mean

I see, but the thing is I dont see bus 170 on the GPS or i haven't seen it in real life, for like a year already, im just concerned, so im not sure yet but, you might be right about it's not retired yet tho.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, Jared Kam said:

Weren't 137 and 141 previously the "Silver Bullets"? I thought that entire series was retired early? Those were Kalihi buses from what I remember. And it is certainly possible that artics were moved around with the last of the 890's arriving. Which I have to say are pretty nice artics.

My understanding is that the 30's have seats above the curbside wheelwell similar to the Nova's. I also heard that those buses are particularly nice from a driver friend. They've hit a sweet spot in my opinion on specs for both Gillig and New Flyer - some of the nicest buses in the country off the factory line I would say. I just wish they took a little better care of them cosmetically.

We will continue to wait and see what their next moves are with 40' and 60' RFP's out. Though I don't see TheBus straying from Gillig on 40' buses, if Nova puts in a competitive bid on artics we might see another fleet of Novabuses on the road. TheBus still feels that the 800 series Phantoms are best on particular missions, likening their capacity as in between 40' and 60' buses, meaning that they may stick around for a while longer. However, the last 300-series bus I saw on the road earlier this year looked real tired.

Interesting, on 137 and 141. I’ll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks! 

On 5/20/2021 at 3:43 PM, Williamv said:

Finally! According to the GPS, electric bus 4002 was in service this afternoon (5/20) on route 4.

Well I also found bus 4003 on Route 7 today, as its in service right now, Im gonna try ride it on route 7 today and hopefully can show a video off it. 

Screenshot 2021-05-24 at 9.51.10 AM.png

On 5/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, Alika.valdez1234 said:

????? i was sitting on the front right side????? guy in a white sweat shirt

LOL OH MY YEA LOL I DID SEE YOU THERE??????????????

Wait what happen, why does it say call police?

23 hours ago, Williamv said:

image.thumb.png.3e44805e72ac9c72215386cda2a6e73e.png

i didn’t know I was that scary!

Why did it say call police?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 9:21 PM, Honolulu TheBus said:

Interesting, I have never seen that before.

Guess it makes sense that the "CAUTION" with the arrows is just a sign code when the ramp is deployed - and that with the new color LED signs that it's possible the code for that particular sign when the ramp is deployed is different on these new buses.

Pretty nifty stuff.