busfreak99

The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

14 minutes ago, Princess Daisy D 19 said:

Is that at the Kalihi Bus Facility?

The Gillig HQ in California. Just came off the assembly line a few days ago along with the new orders from Kalamazoo, Seattle, Atlanta, Salem (Oregon) and Milwaukee. It was posted up on the Gillig bus fans page.

Once they’re ready, expect them to catch a ride aboard Matson ahead of their debut this Summer, possibly to phase out several of the 300 series Phantoms.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:59 AM, Kaden Helsel said:

where can i find that gillig bus fan page where you found bus 709?

Go to Gillig Transit Fans Photos and Discussions at Facebook.

On 3/30/2019 at 4:38 PM, Princess Daisy D 19 said:

7AFE1DD9-9B62-4B3B-86CD-BF4A3606AEF3.thumb.jpeg.f7f35bac82156e764223acd4a33b27e1.jpegSaw Bus 883 and NO LED in the Back. Am I getting tricked or is the sign not working or did it get taken off?

You are right about the sign not working. I saw bus 883 this morning in Hawaii Kai, and look back to see nothing on the sign! No orange LED, no nothing. I did ride bus 883 one evening a while ago and did happen to see the orange LED in the back, which I questioned about because all the other signs on the bus were white, and thought that all the 880's had a rear orange sign, which is not the case. So I wasn't sure what was happening until I found out that is was only 883 that had the problem.

http://bigislandnow.com/2019/03/26/electric-buses-coming-to-big-island/

Electric buses will be coming to The Bus and many other Hawaiian bus operators

The move to replace fossil-fueled, combustion engine buses with cleaner, quieter, more efficient electric buses on the Big Island, O‘ahu, and Maui got a boost from Public Utilities Commission approval of a pilot program offering special time-of-use rates for electric bus charging.

The new rate will go into effect on March 31, 2019, and run as a pilot, subject to annual reporting and potential adjustments, for five years. Based on discussions with public and private bus fleet customers, it is expected at least 130 electric buses will be added to fleets during the course of the pilot, including tour buses, school buses and public transit systems like TheBus on O‘ahu.

In December 2017, in a ceremony aboard the Hawaiian sailing canoe Hōkūle‘a, the four county mayors and their representatives also committed to a 100% renewable fleet by 2035 and a 100% public and private renewable ground transportation by 2045.

• Thanks 1

So 709-716 could be the last OTS order for 40-foot diesel buses. However, they still have to replace 40-49 on the hill routes, and I’m not aware of any manufacturers offering 30-foot electrics.

Does anyone know how many Gillig electric buses we will be getting later this year for the pilot project? I have heard 2, 3, 4 and 5. Has Hawaiian Electric completed its infrastructure work?

13 hours ago, Alika.valdez1234 said:

My bus driver friend told me 709, 711, 713 is at the yard of Kalihi Facility. Finally one of them are here but still yet no plate numbers assigned to them😢. Can't wait until May or sooner.

That was fast. Can’t wait to see them on the streets.

14 hours ago, Only1Moore said:

That was fast. Can’t wait to see them on the streets.

Well today we checked the yard at Kalihi Bus Facility and still yet there is three that came in a few days ago, so there should be probably more arriving later today or anytime sooner.