busfreak99

The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

435 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who is wondering why all our new buses are not in regular service yet? They sit parked at the garage all day while the oldest buses in the fleet continue to pollute our air. I understand it takes awhile for prepping, driver training, applying decals, etc. Some transit agencies have their new vehicles in revenue service within 3-4 days after delivery. Obviously, Hawaii has some special circumstances, so it takes a little longer. But this is too long. Does anyone know what's going on?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Williamv said:

Am I the only one who is wondering why all our new buses are not in regular service yet? They sit parked at the garage all day while the oldest buses in the fleet continue to pollute our air. I understand it takes awhile for prepping, driver training, applying decals, etc. Some transit agencies have their new vehicles in revenue service within 3-4 days after delivery. Obviously, Hawaii has some special circumstances, so it takes a little longer. But this is too long. Does anyone know what's going on?

Beats me. This might be standard procedure for OTS. Some sets of the new buses may go into service while the oldest ones trickle out until all of them kick the bucket. I believe that it's been that way ever since. Add to the many orders that Gillig and New Flyer receives from the many other transit agencies in the mainland, the launch is going to have to wait. Another factor may be the mileage goal that OTS has set up. If an old bus has reached a certain mileage, it will be given an OK for retirement. OTS is also going to have to mothball it afterwards. 

Even if the new buses aren't out yet, I'm grateful for this because now I'm planning on riding as many 1997 Phantoms that I can before they hit the bricks. 

You also mentioned 187 being absent from service. From what I've heard, the unit is being repaired in the mainland. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your helpful response, Rotidua. If that is OTS policy, nothing we can do about it, but as a handicapped senior citizen, I don't agree with it. Low-floor buses are much easier for me to enter and exit, so the sooner the new ones come out the better. Combined with so many "No GPS" vehicles, I haven't been comfortable riding TheBus for awhile because I don't know what's coming or when. I am a big fan of our bus system, but OTS needs to remember its reputation of being customer-friendly. Enjoy riding the Gillig Phantoms. I will not be joining you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all 😊, I read on YouTube that units 803-835 will also be refurbished like 801 & 802. Is there any truth to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gillig1109 said:

Hey all 😊, I read on YouTube that units 803-835 will also be refurbished like 801 & 802. Is there any truth to this?

I have seen the guy comment about it too, but I'm taking that statement with a grain of salt. I don't think that OTS will bother with the complete rehabilitation of the 2000 Phantoms due to the cost being the main factor. I've seen the cost of rehabilitation of 801 and 802 from a 2014 Division of Purchasing PDF file. The cost is about $274,200 (rounded up) per unit. Multiply that with 33 units, and you get the price of over 9 million.

That plan doesn't really sit right for me, but if the Pearl City facility says they plan on doing it, then I'll change my mind.

gbidresult_14681104.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_5498.JPGFinally! Buses 22 and 23 in service today on Kapolei Circulator, route 416. Not recognized by GPS of course, so you won't see them on HEA.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work on getting a photo of the baby Low Floor. I spy frame-less, blue-tint windows along with an additional left destination sign. Did you spot a rear-door on those? 

Going back to the refurbishment plan, I checked the wiki and I can't say that I'm surprised. If the plan demands for the complete touch-up of the entire Pearl City Phantoms, then the cost will be reaching around $18.1 million (801 and 802 excluded) or more. Nobody should be that insane to spend that amount just to refurbish about 66 40' Phantoms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, Rotidua said:

Good work on getting a photo of the baby Low Floor. I spy frame-less, blue-tint windows along with an additional left destination sign. Did you spot a rear-door on those? 

Going back to the refurbishment plan, I checked the wiki and I can't say that I'm surprised. If the plan demands for the complete touch-up of the entire Pearl City Phantoms, then the cost will be reaching around $18.1 million (801 and 802 excluded) or more. Nobody should be that insane to spend that amount just to refurbish about 66 40' Phantoms. 

No rear doors on the new small buses, same as the 35-footers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bus 249 has been on routes 57A and 43 today. So I'm guessing 246-254 are being transferred to Middle Street. That would leave only 16 of the 200-series buses at Pearl City, and they will likely be moved out as more new units go into service. It also means more of the 1997 Phantoms will soon be on their way to Bus Heaven. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now