busfreak99

The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

12 hours ago, Williamv said:

Am I the only one who is wondering why all our new buses are not in regular service yet? They sit parked at the garage all day while the oldest buses in the fleet continue to pollute our air. I understand it takes awhile for prepping, driver training, applying decals, etc. Some transit agencies have their new vehicles in revenue service within 3-4 days after delivery. Obviously, Hawaii has some special circumstances, so it takes a little longer. But this is too long. Does anyone know what's going on?

Beats me. This might be standard procedure for OTS. Some sets of the new buses may go into service while the oldest ones trickle out until all of them kick the bucket. I believe that it's been that way ever since. Add to the many orders that Gillig and New Flyer receives from the many other transit agencies in the mainland, the launch is going to have to wait. Another factor may be the mileage goal that OTS has set up. If an old bus has reached a certain mileage, it will be given an OK for retirement. OTS is also going to have to mothball it afterwards. 

Even if the new buses aren't out yet, I'm grateful for this because now I'm planning on riding as many 1997 Phantoms that I can before they hit the bricks. 

You also mentioned 187 being absent from service. From what I've heard, the unit is being repaired in the mainland. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your helpful response, Rotidua. If that is OTS policy, nothing we can do about it, but as a handicapped senior citizen, I don't agree with it. Low-floor buses are much easier for me to enter and exit, so the sooner the new ones come out the better. Combined with so many "No GPS" vehicles, I haven't been comfortable riding TheBus for awhile because I don't know what's coming or when. I am a big fan of our bus system, but OTS needs to remember its reputation of being customer-friendly. Enjoy riding the Gillig Phantoms. I will not be joining you.

6 hours ago, Gillig1109 said:

Hey all ?, I read on YouTube that units 803-835 will also be refurbished like 801 & 802. Is there any truth to this?

I have seen the guy comment about it too, but I'm taking that statement with a grain of salt. I don't think that OTS will bother with the complete rehabilitation of the 2000 Phantoms due to the cost being the main factor. I've seen the cost of rehabilitation of 801 and 802 from a 2014 Division of Purchasing PDF file. The cost is about $274,200 (rounded up) per unit. Multiply that with 33 units, and you get the price of over 9 million.

That plan doesn't really sit right for me, but if the Pearl City facility says they plan on doing it, then I'll change my mind.

gbidresult_14681104.pdf

gbidresult_14681104.pdf

Good work on getting a photo of the baby Low Floor. I spy frame-less, blue-tint windows along with an additional left destination sign. Did you spot a rear-door on those? 

Going back to the refurbishment plan, I checked the wiki and I can't say that I'm surprised. If the plan demands for the complete touch-up of the entire Pearl City Phantoms, then the cost will be reaching around $18.1 million (801 and 802 excluded) or more. Nobody should be that insane to spend that amount just to refurbish about 66 40' Phantoms. 

7 hours ago, Rotidua said:

Good work on getting a photo of the baby Low Floor. I spy frame-less, blue-tint windows along with an additional left destination sign. Did you spot a rear-door on those? 

Going back to the refurbishment plan, I checked the wiki and I can't say that I'm surprised. If the plan demands for the complete touch-up of the entire Pearl City Phantoms, then the cost will be reaching around $18.1 million (801 and 802 excluded) or more. Nobody should be that insane to spend that amount just to refurbish about 66 40' Phantoms. 

No rear doors on the new small buses, same as the 35-footers.

Bus 249 has been on routes 57A and 43 today. So I'm guessing 246-254 are being transferred to Middle Street. That would leave only 16 of the 200-series buses at Pearl City, and they will likely be moved out as more new units go into service. It also means more of the 1997 Phantoms will soon be on their way to Bus Heaven. 

Funny that you mentioned the 300s. Within the past two weeks I been seeing less and less of the '97 Phantoms, and I noticed a majority of them parked at Middle Street.

1 hour ago, Only1Moore said:

Funny that you mentioned the 300s. Within the past two weeks I been seeing less and less of the '97 Phantoms, and I noticed a majority of them parked at Middle Street.

I've been following some of them on the HEA. They now run in the mornings, return to the facility, then run again in the near evenings (some for express service). 

On 1/12/2017 at 4:11 PM, Williamv said:

IMG_5498.JPGFinally! Buses 22 and 23 in service today on Kapolei Circulator, route 416. Not recognized by GPS of course, so you won't see them on HEA.

Thank goodness they went with the smaller diameter lights.  IMHO, those hybrids look ridiculous...

It looks like the 500s are ditching the rainbows. Bus 522 is now sporting the gold and yellow. Just saw it on Route 6 Pauoa Valley this evening (January 27, 2017).

3 hours ago, Only1Moore said:

It looks like the 500s are ditching the rainbows. Bus 522 is now sporting the gold and yellow. Just saw it on Route 6 Pauoa Valley this evening (January 27, 2017).

If you get a chance to take a pic I know I would love to see it. Interesting that they are going to change the livery on 55 buses at this point in their life though. 

On 1/28/2017 at 1:12 AM, Only1Moore said:

522 is on route 3 today, Feb. 2. Haven't seen any other repainted 500s but will keep watching.

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5518.thumb.JPG.1cc10ea510bcd7ec69e707f80db67a33.JPG

12 hours ago, Williamv said:

522 is on route 3 today, Feb. 2. Haven't seen any other repainted 500s but will keep watching.

IMG_5518.JPG

Super sharp! This reminds me of the days in the early 90's when the gillig phantoms were getting a makeover. It was fun to watch then, and I'm sure it will be to watch now. ????

On 1/12/2017 at 2:11 PM, Williamv said:

IMG_5498.JPGFinally! Buses 22 and 23 in service today on Kapolei Circulator, route 416. Not recognized by GPS of course, so you won't see them on HEA.

Forgot to mention that the only forward-facing seats on the 29-footers are "upstairs" in the back. The front seats are all bowling alley style. 

IMG_5498.thumb.JPG.6b3e49d2b217a3e019c4d46648c76a68.JPG

2 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Where do the 900-series New Flyer DE40LFRs spend most of their time these days?

Back when, those were "headliners" of the fleet -- seems like they've faded to the sidelines.

They're still operating. I see most of them on 3, 9, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 56, 57, and the Express routes. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, Only1Moore said:

They're still operating. I see most of them on 3, 9, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 56, 57, and the Express routes. 

I've seen one or two on the 1, and a good amount on the 13.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, Silly Tilley said:

Is there any info as to how many buses Honolulu will be ordering/receiving in 2017? 

There may be a rough idea whenever a bid is proposed in Honolulu's Division of Purchasing. An OTS vehicle specs list might also provide full details. Otherwise, we wouldn't know for sure until something comes up.

Regarding to the latest swap of the 200 series Gilligs, it seems like 246 is the extent to the trade. So that makes 246-254 on Kalihi's side.

Also, get a load on the number size on 656.

WP_20170130_10_36_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20170203_16_41_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20170130_10_36_22_Pro.thumb.jpg.4d101a3cd8d0b331b039b99aba98f094.jpg

WP_20170203_16_41_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.ed74270521a8228d5ecfa80b5f81db18.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 1:12 AM, Only1Moore said:

We should note that all 16 artics from 2003 have been repainted, along with 11 of the 16 2002 artics. 102 and 104-107 still show the rainbows. They stopped the work last summer, maybe because they were short of artics and didn't want to take any out of service. Or maybe the 2002 buses will be retired sooner than expected, and they decided it wasn't worth it.