The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

busfreak99

That is a bit odd how they went back to the older paint scheme. Instead of using the paint scheme found on most of the Gillig Low Floors and the 2002/2003 New Flyer D60LF's.

Does anyone know how many DE40LR's they are getting?

They currently have 10 DE60LF's built in 2004.

That is a bit odd how they went back to the older paint scheme. Instead of using the paint scheme found on most of the Gillig Low Floors and the 2002/2003 New Flyer D60LF's.

Does anyone know how many DE40LR's they are getting?

They currently have 10 DE60LF's built in 2004.

As busfreak99 said, 40. ;)

• Board Admin

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing those! ;)

I am also wondering why they wen back to the older paint scheme. Maybe people missed the sunny orange and wanted that back over the rainbow scheme.

Make a futuristic bus look older, I guess! :P

I saw this Bus during Delevery a while ago the First thing i thought was 'Is that for Reno?'

Heres the pic attached

Driven all the way to California, possible to Long Beach as they have a port facility. Then shipped for at least a week to reach Hawaii.

Instead of starting a new thread, I will just post this Honolulu related item here.

A few months ago, I compiled a roster of The Bus' Gillig Phantoms. I will be adding it to my website this sunday. I got most of the info off of Western Transit (the website). In the mean time I will post it here first.

Year Built-Fleet Number- Engine

1994 601-659 DD S50

1995 660-685 DD S50

1995 686-688 Cu M11

1995 689-698 DD S50

1995 740-749 DD S50

1995 750 Cu M11

1995 751-770 DD S50

1995 771-773 Cu M11

1996 774-784 Cu M11

1996 785-795 DD S50

1997 301-346 Cu M11

1998 40-49 (30 foot version) Unknown

1998 347-365 Cu M11

2000 801-834 (Numbers/Qauntity may not be accurate) Cu ISM

2002 835-853 (Numbers/Qauntity may not be accurate) Cu ISM

2003 854-868 (Numbers/Qauntity may not be accurate) Cu ISM

Does anyone know if the last 3 entries are correct?

Does anyone know what engines the 30 footer have?

Does anyone have any corrections that they are pretty darn sure about?

Thanks!

I saw this Bus during Delevery a while ago the First thing i thought was 'Is that for Reno?'

Heres the pic attached

Where did you see it? Looks like NAFTA colors a bit to me.

I wanted to share a pic or 2 of Honolulu's New hybrid buses. They are getting 40 New Flyer DE40LFR buses.

Enjoy!!

James Roach

Very nice pics! Thanks for sharing,

Where did you see it? Looks like NAFTA colors a bit to me.

Very nice pics! Thanks for sharing,

I believe that bus is for Honolulu as well... Although the paint scheme looks a bit different than the other image that was posted... although that could just be the way the photos were taken. Other than that, it looks like it's just missing decals and the bike rack.

I googled the destination sign and got links to stuff about Honolulu.

Ok a requested the rear end!!

James Roach

I see that they ordered their New Flyers with the reccessed taillight assembly, just like their other New Flyers.

Picture of 1999 D60LF #78 attached

honolulu_78rear.jpg

And yes they went back to having the "upper engine breather/vent" for this order. They included this on their 1999 D60LF's, dropped it for the 2002/2003 D60LF's and also did not include it on their 2004 DE60LF's

thank you.looks neat.i think the is the first hybrid bus new flyer has built with a engine breather on the top.

It wouldn't be the first one, the silver/grey 2005 DE40LF demo unit has the same setup

nfi_2005de40lf_rear3.jpg

• Board Admin

I see that they ordered their New Flyers with the reccessed taillight assembly, just like their other New Flyers.

All of the x#0LFRs have "recessed" taillights. Honolulu just has the smaller diameter lights. On the non-R New Flyers, the smaller diameter lights were flush with the body, whereas the larger diameter lights (such as ETS, CT, Translink, etc) stuck out from the body. The -R models have recessions in the body now so that the larger lights are flush with the body. And as a result the smaller diameter ones are recessed, like you pointed out.

The built-for-Winnipeg CT buses (BusDrawings.com) were originally supposed to have the smaller diameter lights, and this is why the larger diameter lights are so close together on them.

WMATA also has the smaller diameter lights.

Just a little note. :)

I wanted to share a pic or 2 of Honolulu's New hybrid buses. They are getting 40 New Flyer DE40LFR buses.

Enjoy!!

James Roach

That's a sharp looking transit coach. I have never seen a city transit bus though without any other window openings before. Are these suburban buses? Also I assume when the air-conditioning fails the roof hatches open for ventilation? Love the dark tinted windows too :o .

That's a sharp looking transit coach. I have never seen a city transit bus though without any other window openings before. Are these suburban buses? Also I assume when the air-conditioning fails the roof hatches open for ventilation? Love the dark tinted windows too :o .

They are probably not suburban buses. If you compare what their D60LF's look like and what their D40LFR looks like, you will notice they are similar specifications. tinted non-opening windows and air conditioned. This is standard specification for all of Honolulu's transit buses. All of their buses have windows that have no opening.

There are lots of transit buses that have windows that can't open. Many in the soutern portion of the US, Hong Kong and other places that are hot year round.

The 2005 demo DE40LF (Gray) has been modified to have no windows that can open as well.

When the A/C breaks, the bus is probably changed over as soon as possible. Keep in mind that in fleets that have many buses that have AC in them, usually keeping the AC working and reliable is a high priority.

That's a sharp looking transit coach. I have never seen a city transit bus though without any other window openings before. Are these suburban buses? Also I assume when the air-conditioning fails the roof hatches open for ventilation? Love the dark tinted windows too :) .

Nope just standard transit buses al of Honolulu's buses have non opening windows.

If the A/C fails on the buses they switch out the bus as soon as possible, to avoid using the hatches.

Nope just standard transit buses al of Honolulu's buses have non opening windows.

If the A/C fails on the buses they switch out the bus as soon as possible, to avoid using the hatches.

The same goes to Philadelphia, their buses have fixed windows since the early 80's. The main reason that so no one opens the windows and waste resources.

thank you.looks neat.i think the is the first hybrid bus new flyer has built with a engine breather on the top.

That's not an "Engine breather", it's for the Air Conditioning.

MT orders their buses with Air Conditioning and Tinted tip-in windows, so it's not uncommon, they also order their buses with the Curbside Engine Vent.