The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

busfreak99

I had an adventurous trip to Kahala Mall today, riding on more new buses than I expected. First was #885 on the 1L. Unfortunately we rode for only a few blocks before it was taken out of service because the middle door wouldn’t stay closed. Waited for #882 on Route 1. This was another short ride. Because of an unspecified issue, passengers were asked to get off and board an older bus behind us. At this point I could only laugh. The third bus was successful in delivering us to the mall. The ride home a couple of hours later on #886  was uneventful.

3 hours ago, Williamv said:

I had an adventurous trip to Kahala Mall today, riding on more new buses than I expected. First was #885 on the 1L. Unfortunately we rode for only a few blocks before it was taken out of service because the middle door wouldn’t stay closed. Waited for #882 on Route 1. This was another short ride. Because of an unspecified issue, passengers were asked to get off and board an older bus behind us. At this point I could only laugh. The third bus was successful in delivering us to the mall. The ride home a couple of hours later on #886  was uneventful.

Seems as though some of the Xcelsior lines are suffering with a bit of a flaw in the backdoors. Sounds like the new ones made the backdoor problem a bit worse as 870-879 also have it, but to the extent of those reopening once or twice as it closes.

3 hours ago, Williamv said:

Why was it uneventful? 

4 hours ago, ieko said:

They're coming.

Now gone:

70, 76, 79, 925

I’m kinda not having a good feeling about that. By the way, hopefully maybe they’ll turn those retired buses into homeless shelters.

37 minutes ago, Rotidua said:

Seems as though some of the Xcelsior lines are suffering with a bit of a flaw in the backdoors. Sounds like the new ones made the backdoor problem a bit worse as 870-879 also have it, but to the extent of those reopening once or twice as it closes.

870 - 879 has the Allison B500R and the 880s have the Voith. By the way, I was thinking you can convert buses into like any NewFlyer as long as you have the right Engine and Transmission. Like there was Cummins ISM and Allison B500R before 2007 so the D60LFR could’ve been built in 2005 or something. Oh yeah the seats to. Make sure the seating is there to.

22 hours ago, Alika.valdez1234 said:

I have a question? Does 230-297 drivers seats are all ussc seating or a certain 200s series still have a different different seat types since 2012. Because I read before in this topic that these 200s have different driver seatings?

Thanks for posting this - I don't have an answer other than yes in the 200-series buses there are different seats based on what part of the series the bus is from. And the variety ranges from the Recaro Ergo M to the USSC Evolution seat to the USSC Q91 - and still it seems that they are choosing different operator seats for the latest Xcelsior buses (Recaro) vs. the 700-series Gilligs (USSC Q91). Honestly I am baffled by their use of multiple driver seat manufacturers - commonality leads to efficiency. Besides, drivers would be able to get used to one type of seat vs. being unsure from day to day what type of seat they would get.