The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

busfreak99

The HEA system was completely down this morning with all buses showing "No GPS." I often wonder whether the cleaning woman kicks the plug out overnight or if somebody just isn't paying attention. Could it be they are finally attempting to add the numbers of the new buses that went into service in December?

IMG_5576.PNG

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:03 AM, Williamv said:

The HEA system was completely down this morning with all buses showing "No GPS." I often wonder whether the cleaning woman kicks the plug out overnight or if somebody just isn't paying attention. Could it be they are finally attempting to add the numbers of the new buses that went into service in December?

IMG_5576.PNG

Highly likely that it's a negative on the new fleet numbers. Server blackouts such as those are rare. When it happens, all fleet numbers are knocked off the HEA. Seems as though that the HEA is recovering fairly nice from that mishap.

• 2 weeks later...

Another rough day for the HEA system. The only buses appearing this morning were 29-footers and 35-footers. As the hours passed, some 40-footers and 60-footers were added, but still many missing as of this post. I am wondering why this always seems to happen on Sundays and holidays. I also wonder if there is a more serious problem, preventing new buses from being added to the system. The latest HEVs started revenue service on December 1, more than 3 months ago. It has never taken this long before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bus #244 is in service on route 54 today. That means:

1. More 200s are being transferred to Middle Street (239-245?).

2. More 670s are about to hit the streets, possibly up to 680.

3. More 300s are heading for The Great Transit Center in the Sky.

I have noticed that majority of the OTS Fleet are Gillig Advantage's (20, 50, 60, 200, 500, 600 and 900 series) and I am assuming the next 300 series will be advantages as well.

I kinda wish OTS could change it up a bit and go for a Gillig's BRT Plus, 40-Foot New Flyer Xcelsior's or Nova LFS.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BusDude808 said:

I have noticed that majority of the OTS Fleet are Gillig Advantage's (20, 50, 60, 200, 500 and 600 series) and I am assuming the next 300 series will be advantages as well.

I kinda wish OTS could change it up a bit and go for a Gillig's BRT Plus, 40-Foot New Flyer Xcelsior's or Nova LFS.

Might also consider buying some Novabus artics instead of always New Flyer.

• Like 1

I can't see OTS go for the Novas for a second time. Not too sure about the standard LFS, but the LFSA is out of the question, since they rely solely on New Flyer to make the articulated buses. OTS also had a run-in with NovaBUS on the ADA noncompliance issue with the LFS models back in 2010-2011. I also can't see them go for Gillig BRTs, or just any BRT models in general. If anything, the standard Low Floor is the most dominant choice for the transportation company (due to its durable design and build, and the cost compared to New Flyer's 40' XCelsior line), save for some minor design changes over time. The 40' variants of the XCelsior might come at second place for the future fleet, but it's a slightly unlikely decision for the company to make.

In other news, a survey is being conducted for the restructuring of Routes 85 and 85A, potentially adding two new routes for other communities on the windward side of the island. Those routes are 86 (Kokokai/Aikahi) and 87 (Kailua). The survey is also backed by the DOT.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 4:54 PM, Rotidua said:

In other news, a survey is being conducted for the restructuring of Routes 85 and 85A, potentially adding two new routes for other communities on the windward side of the island. Those routes are 86 (Kokokai/Aikahi) and 87 (Kailua). The survey is also backed by the DOT.

Woo! A welcome survey. If nothing else, it could at least result in better/clearer designations for Route 85... which is really two separate routes. The two "branches" have almost nothing to do with each other...

TheBus isn't shy about using letter suffixes (even when those are scantly related to each other -- 88 and the phantom 88A are distant relatives at best!)...  wonder why "the 85s" escaped separate designation. Never seen anything quite like that...

46 minutes ago, kainoa3 said:

Do any other routes beside 40 have overnight service?

There may be a few routes where their last runs are around the midnight - 1:00 A.M. range. The very latest that I can recall is the 42, where its last (also very late compared to other routes) run arrives at Ewa Beach Transit Center at around 3:00 A.M. Other than that, the 40 is pretty much a 24-hour route. 

A good number of routes do start very early in the morning (around 4:00 A.M.). 

Bus 187 is back in service! The reason why the bus was not running for while is because the electrical wire problem between the articulation of the bus, it was defected. There was three main power wires that was defected. The whole bus couldn't turn on. But I'm glad that the mechanics figured out the problem after a while and fixed it.

• Like 1