The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

busfreak99

• 1 month later...

This morning I saw bus 813 (Pearl City Bus) running on route 1 (Kalihi route).

Does anyone have any information why?

TheBus have been known to rotate buses between the two garages.

Hi everyone, is there anymore news about the double decker project mentioned in 2012?

TheBus aren't ordering any double deckers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That rooftop HVAC definitely wasn't touched in the repaint...you can tell that they are Pearl City buses with that tint of red dirt...

Any word on whether they will start repainting the 800's or 500's now that they have invested in cameras in all those buses?

• 3 weeks later...

So far I saw Bus 626 parked next to the retired (read original) Gillig 600s with "TheBus" fonts now sprayed painted over, and have yet to be disposed (So if you're waiting to get your hands on a retired Phantom i wish you the best of luck cause I don't see them going to auction anytime soon). I was going to get a picture but security is keeping non-The Bus personnel away and they must be hiding the newer buses in the garage whenever I drive by Wal-Mart.

As for the rainbow artics repainting, you can add 108 and 129 to that list.

• 3 weeks later...

Honolulu Community College student here.

I've rode in Bus 602 that served Route 11. There's a small difference between the 200's and the new 600's. I've seen a small change in the seat cushions and the new stop request buttons. Also, I've seen 604 serving Route 1 at the terminus in Kilauea Ave.

Speaking of the 200's, the highest I've seen is 297, so I might think that the range caps off at 299, not at 279.

I don't see the 40' Phantoms (740-773) being used anymore, so they're either retired or used as driver training. 774-795 are still present though.

Some of the 30' Phantoms (40-49) might have their transmissions modified or changed. Bus 045 sounds slightly different than the rest of the 30' Phantoms.

Somebody mentioned in the thread that the fleet numbers of the 35' Advantages don't correspond to their license plate number. If I can recall, Bus 057 actually corresponded to its license number. The rest might not.

Saw 605 today, license plate is BUS 582. I am suspecting TheBus is doing that because the previous BUS 605 is still on their vehicle registration record. Really hope they will fix that up before it gets worse like the HandiVan is now.

I also think they will keep the 30' Phantoms for a while, since they just installed cameras on them.

Does anyone know the fate of 70 to 99? Some said they will be retired, yet some of them have cameras installed.

Highest number of the 200s that I've seen is 297 as well.

I also haven't seen 740 - 773 in a while. 774 and up are still running, sometimes on the weekends as well.

I sometimes don't get Pearl City dispatcher. They assign high floor buses (700s, 800s) when they have a lot of low floor Novas, 200s Gilligs, and some 600s Gilligs around.

The 30' Phantoms might be good for 2 more years until the 35' Advantages take over. It's kind of sad to see those buses go. It reminds me of the 35' RTS-08's running on Route 234. Wish I rode on one of those RTS-08 buses before it retired.

The 1999-2000 D60LF (70-99) speed demons might be fixed up in the future. So far, some of them have refurbished seats. I only saw 90-99 with cameras; it's possible for TheBus to install cameras on the others only if they stockpile enough of it. It's also possible for some of them to face early retirement, but we don't know yet. In addition, 72 is facing some minor damage from the inside; near the middle of the pivot, there's some tape somewhere.

I've seen some 700's running on Route 22. Some of them are dispatched in the western areas. The 300's, 700's, and 800's are probably dispatched more because of how the drivers favor their controls as opposed to the low floors.

Has anyone seen the 1998 Advantages (366-368) anywhere?

It looks like Bus 852 is going to be out of service for a while. A vehicle hit the back of the bus today (October 4, 2014), damaging the left end side.

As for the 366-368 Gilligs, the last time they were used was back in August, so they might have been retired when the new 600s arrived.