The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

busfreak99

• 3 months later...

Aloha from the Aloha State. After departing Los Angeles, I went westward to the wonderful state of Hawaii, more importantly the island of Oahu where Honolulu lies. Honolulu is home to TheBus, one of the most interesting but complex systems in America. TheBus operates 107 routes, many of them run on central corridors with spurs and lots of interlining. The fleet consists of Gillig Phantoms & Advantages, Chance Opuses, New Flyer DE40LFRs and several types of 60 foot artics. Also hanging on by a thread are several scattered TMC RTS-06 WFD buses in 30’ and 40’ versions, soon to be retired with new deliveries.

Beginning my adventure in Waikiki, here is Gillig Phantom #332, a 1997 model operating on Route 19, one of three that serve Honolulu International Airport:

WCT3201.jpg

The Ala Moana Center is the largest shopping center in Honolulu and where several routes either end or make this a continuation stop. Here is New Flyer D60LF #110, a 2002 model painted in the “Rainbow” scheme:

WCT3204.jpg

Gillig Phantom 672 is one of 99 purchased in 1994 by TheBus and are the second oldest series behind the RTSs. Here it is heading to the Ala Moana Center:

WCT3206.jpg

Alapai Transit Center is on the outskirts of Downtown Honolulu. Generally used for AM/PM rush hour, a heavy mixture of local and express lines serve here. Among them is Route 103, which on this day was operated by TMC RTS #212:

WCT3212.jpg

Showcasing both paint schemes is Phantoms 628 & 849, one of 68 ordered and TheBus’ last order of High Floor buses:

WCT3213.jpg

With 111 artics in service, all built by New Flyer, TheBus is able to operate four all day express services (two in the city, two in the country). Here is D60LF #86 in Downtown, one of the few left with a Detroit Diesel Series 50 engine as all will be converted to Cummins soon:

WCT3242.jpg

From another batch of artics comes #153, a DE60LFR with the low profile battery pack. Here it is pictured at Waipahu Transit Center:

WCT3222.jpg

Back at the Ala Moana Center, here is Phantom #865 on a short layover. At any layover longer than two minutes, all buses are to be shut off:

WCT3230.jpg

Taken the next morning, Here is New Flyer D60LFR #143, one of 9 purchased by TheBus operating in Downtown Honolulu:

WCT3235.jpg

In 2006, Honolulu purchased 40 New Flyer DE40LFRs with the original battery pack design. Here is #905 pulling away and bathing in fresh morning sunshine:

WCT3237.jpg

Also in 2003, TheBus purchased 55 Gillig Advantages painted in the rainbow scheme, here is #531 assigned to Route 1A, a Limited stop service to Hawaii Kai P &R:

WCT3249.jpg

Another one of my favorite photos, here is Gillig Phantom #353 on Route 1 local service:

WCT3251.jpg

In addition to full service lines, TheBus operates neighborhood shuttles using Chance Opuses. Here is Opus #25 at the Kapolei Transit Center waiting to start a run on Route 412:

WCT3254.jpg

As I traveled further out, Hawaii’s beauty stood out more, even the transit centers are in picturesque settings. Here is #790 leaving the Waianae Transit Center:

WCT3257.jpg

New Flyer D60LF #110 just adds to the photo as it waits to turn into the Waianae Transit Center, which is surrounded by Mountains:

WCT3241.jpg

Videos: Warning!! All Honolulu Buses has sealed windows so A/C is on in all videos

TMC RTS-06 WFD #242: Detroit Diesel 6V92/Allison V731

New Flyer D60LF #97: Detroit Diesel Series 50/Allison B500R

Gillig Phantom #765: Cummins M11/Allison B400R

New Flyer DE60LF #132: Cummins ISL/Allison EP40 Hybrid Drive:

New Flyer D60LFR #148 (Interior): Cummins ISL/Allison B500R

TMC “Baby” RTS #52 Wheelchair Deployment:

A Phantom & RTS leaving the Downtown Express Lane:

Hear the roar of various engines from TheBus:

The rainbow scheme was started in-between mayors who wanted to change the 30+ year old scheme. When they changed administrators in 2005 or 2006, TheBus went back to the standard scheme

Here are some more photos & videos:

To Continue on, here are some photos from Downtown during rush hour:

Gillig Phantom #328:

WCT3260.jpg

My absolute favorite photo, TMC RTS #243 leaving the express lane on Route 90:

WCT3265.jpg

Also in the express lane is #672, which shows the actual stop. As implied, only PM express lines stop here, the local lines are 200 foot east of this shot:

WCT3267.jpg

Gillig Phantom #604 in Waipahu. Notice the operator sporting a flower in her hair:

WCT3270.jpg

Even 40 footers manage in sneak their way onto the lettered express lines. Here is Phantom #751 on Route A at the top of a semi-steep hill:

WCT3273.jpg

In the evening, I was in Waikiki since my hotel was nearby. Here is New Flyer DE40LFR #940 on the Heavy Route 8, a supplemental service between Waikiki Beach and the Ala Moana Center:

WCT3275.jpg

Even after 9pm, many buses are seated to standing room only. #302 shows this off:

WCT3277.jpg

At the famed Waikiki Beach, many of the Waikiki based routes terminate a few blocks west of where New Flyer #918 was photographed:

WCT3280.jpg

New Flyer D60LF #96 at the last stop on Route 2 across from the Honolulu Zoo:

WCT3281.jpg

Gillig Phantom #694 is assigned this day on the official “Beach Bus” Route 22, which interesting enough does not operate on Tuesdays:

WCT3282.jpg

New Flyer #906 is squeezed between a pair of island tourist buses on its way away from Waikiki Beach:

WCT3285.jpg

New Flyer DE60LF #140 is one of two Hybrid in a special rainbow scheme. This one is mostly gray with the rainbow colors at the top of the windows. Here it is on heavy Route 2 outside of Downtown:

WCT3289.jpg

Gillig Phantoms #323 & #626 collecting passengers at the first stop in Downtown Honolulu:

WCT3291.jpg

On Saturdays, Route 2 is a mixture of equipment, here is Gillig Phantom #330 on the edge of Downtown Honolulu:

WCT3295.jpg

The last photo taken in Honolulu is of Gillig Phantom #613 at the crossroads of King & Dillingham, which sees up to 9 Routes on a daily basis:

WCT3300.jpg

Videos: All Honolulu Buses has sealed windows so A/C is on in all videos

New Flyer DE40LFR #938: Cummins ISL/Allison EP40 Hybrid Drive:

Gillig Advantage #513: Cummins ISM/Allison B400R:

New Flyer D60LFR #143 (Exterior): Cummins ISL/Allison B500R:

Gillig Phantom #644: Detroit Diesel Series 50/Allison B400R:

New Flyer D60LF #116: Cummins ISL/Allison B500R:

Five TheBus Buses entering Alapai Transit Center:

My Music video:

• 1 year later...
Dose any one have any pictures of the inside of a new flyer DE60LFR DE40LFR

Why don't you get off your lazy ass and google it yourself!

Here's EXACTLY what came up in Google http://www.google.ca/search?q=honolulu+De4...lient=firefox-a

and that first link leads you to an interior photo of a Honolulu DE40LFR http://www.flickr.com/photos/bctransit/3193950428/

This is getting outragous, if you want to see something just Google the stupid thing. There's a good chance you'll find it in less than a minute!

Chris Cassidy

Im back wit a update

last week they begain to finaily mod the front wheelwell seat which was outta service

for two months an half now there something to hold on too so noone wouldnt fall off this time since the lady was sitting in the middle

got nothing to hold on too. 5 buses are left to repair .. wit the first bus 201 and 224 .. the only problem i got with them now is that door panel on the

drivers wheelwell its noisy that ching ching and i know the rear door make a simiar sound but thats not what im talking about

i was watching a video on youtube of calagry transit nova's and u can hear the noise there since it hits alot of bumps in the road they should fix that too

enough of novas

the 2011 gillig low floor bus 35Ft

with no rear door which was strange at first wen i rode it for the first time didnt notice the rear door gone at first lol

but makes that backfire sound idk if thats the 2010 cummins engine its the same seats (Blue ones) but has a brown panel on both side

reminds me of the phantoms an 03 low floor buses =) 50,53,57 were the first to come den rest should come as early aug....

any questions ...ask? and comment

thanks

busguy1000

hit me up on youtube

SSPX0028.jpg

SSPX0042.jpg

nova_bus_broken.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gillig35.jpg

Interior of the 50-series Gillig buses from a bus driver friend of mine...

Interesting note: these are the first buses for OTS that do not have the corresponding license plate with the bus (Bus #52 with license plate BUS-592 pictured above).

Another side note: I'm not sure what the system is that is used for the next-stop announcements, but TheBus from my experience has the most comprehensive announcement system that I've ever seen. Not only is it very detailed, but the voice is recorded by a Hawaiian language professor at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Considering how many tourists come to Oahu, it is a very informative system and is very useful for their system. I don't have any recordings, but here's a link to a YouTube video highlighting it:

• 2 months later...

"Entering into an agreement with the Gillig Corporation, the City [of Honolulu] has issued an order to proceed with the manufacturing of 48 new buses for the County of Honolulu. Forty-eight new heavy duty, low-floor clean diesel buses are on the schedule board for a production run to commence in Spring of 2012."

Source: http://thebus.org/AboutTheBus/Newsletter/Fall2011.pdf

I wonder if TheBus will return back to Gillig Low Floor buses for all their 40-foot vehicle procurements going forward...I'm guessing they're going to stick to New Flyer for the 60-foot articulated buses, though only time will tell...

The Bus hates the LFSes now? :)

From what I've heard from drivers they seem to like the engine power of them, though they have had some issues with the extra seats that were spec'd over the front wheelwell. Drivers also seemed at first to have a hard time with the extra long overhang at the front of the bus, though it sounds like they are getting used to that issue.

When they first got them, it sounded like the political powers in Hawaii really were impressed with NovaBus, but drivers have not given the buses a very favorable rating...I know a couple of drivers who would prefer the older Gillig Phantoms over the new Novas.

Oddly enough, the bus drivers in Hawaii call the 900-series buses (New Flyer 40' Hybrids) the "Cadillac" of the fleet, as they have a lot of power and are very smooth riding. I'm guessing it came down to a pricing issue with those buses...or maybe a geographical advantage, as both Portland, OR and now Honolulu are going back to the Gillig LF over New Flyer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's another update:

Three more Gillig Phantoms (639, 640, 645) went to Maui Bus in March 2012.

http://www.hawaiirep...ses-to-maui/123

Several bus routes are getting adjusted, merged, or have service/portions eliminated between June and August 2012.

http://www1.honolulu...ute+changes.htm

And if you're still wondering, the new Gillig 40ft LFs are arriving this summer. Expect most of the remaining 600s to be off the road by August as most of them are already parked at the Middle Street Facility and ready for the auction block.

• 2 weeks later...

As of May 11, 2012, Bus 610, 611, 612, 615, 617, 618 and 622 is now owned by the Navy Exchange and they should be getting a few more soon. Plus I noticed TheBus has kept a lot more 600s off the street except for morning and evening services. Also parked at the NEX was Bus 29 (Chance Opus), so it looks like they are headed for retirement also.

• 2 weeks later...

The actual numbers that came from Honolulu to Maui are #639, 640, and 645. they are here sitting and waiting to preped for service with Maui Bus and have 500,000 plus miles on them. series 50 detroit eng. w/ B 400 World trans.

Good thing to them that they find their new 2nd life

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do think that the series goes higher than that - I know that I have seen bus #67 at the Kapolei Transit Center.

They are nice buses, though it is rather odd that the driver's side mirror mounted above the window is different than the mirror on the curbside. Seating is different as well, and, as is with the previous set of 35' buses, no rear exit door.

The new 40' buses have just started to be released - they appear to have the same features as the 35' buses but they do include a rear exit door. So far I have only spotted buses #239 and #242 on the road. It appears that the test of the Nova buses was a flop...

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen both 239 and 242 on Route 62 (Wahaiwa Heights), but it looks like they're slowly adding the new buses lately, possibly due to the slow delivery from the mainland. Already I've seen 237 and 238 in service, but there were a few 600s they were hanging onto so they must be trying to get some more mileage out of them until the new buses arrives.

Meanwhile, it looks like the first gen New Flyers artics (70-99) will be the next to go...

http://www.fta.dot.g...2322_14745.html