The Bus (Honolulu, HI)

busfreak99

Yes I have seen those :D . And excellent pics by the way they sure do bring back some memories. It's just that I have never seen a bus for a local/city transit application even in a low-floor configuration with fully fixed windows. That's why suburban came to mind. I really need to get out to Honolulu now and take a ride :) .

Nope just standard transit buses al of Honolulu's buses have non opening windows.

If the A/C fails on the buses they switch out the bus as soon as possible, to avoid using the hatches.

Thanks Kevin and busfreak for your replies. I wish GO Transit did that in the summer time during AC failures. GO drivers just open the roof hatches and let mother nature do the rest. I wish such a policy existed at GO where the coach would be exchanged ASAP.

It's just that I have never seen a bus for a local/city transit application even in a low-floor configuration with fully fixed windows. That's why suburban came to mind. I really need to get out to Honolulu now and take a ride :) .

You don't even have to goto Honolulu to find low floors with windows that don't oepn. There are plenty of them in the southern portion of the United States like I mentioned earlier. Point is, transit buses with non-opening windows is very very common.

Has no one noticed VIVA's Van Hools?

Sorry to go off the topic a little bit.............speaking of the VIVA Vanhool windows, I've talked to an operator before, and she mentioned that the windows are anti-vandalism. Let's say if somebody wrote on the window, the graffiti can be removed by peeling off a layer off the window. Each window has...........12? (can't remember for sure) layers; so when the final layer is peeled off (which should take quite a while for 12 graffitis appear on the same window), they'll put in a new window and the cycle begins again.

Not sure if this is something that everybody already knows except me.............anyhow, I just want to share what I've heard.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I'm from HI and have been around TheBus for quite some time, so here's my knowledge of the fleet...

From my understanding, every 600-series bus runs with a DD S50 engine with the Allison transmission...I do believe that bus 750 also runs with a DD S50 engine as well...

Buses 660-669 (minus 666 - we're superstitious in HI) and bus 699 are modified from the rest, with "sandpaper" flooring and a modified passenger side mirror. These buses originally were delivered with the elongated mirror (with separate controls for the convex) on both sides but were replaced as the taller mirror created a blind spot for drivers.

Buses 40-49 run with the same M11 engine with a modified gear ratio for more torque (these buses are used primarily as "hill-climbers")

Buses 801-853 used a Clever Devices announcement system which came before the company phased out their old radios for new Siemens integrated radios. That order was split as the first 35 are in the orange paint scheme, with 836-853 having the new rainbow scheme. Buses 854-868 use the new ALPHA twin-line interior LED signs coupled with the TransitMaster system. They also are powered by the Cummins ISL engine coupled with Voith transmissions (which are currently in the process of being reprogrammed)

In addition, I might as well give you the specs for the other non-Phantom buses...

Chance Opus:

??? (at least 10, possibly more)

NFI D60LF:

70-85 -- DD S60 -- All B500

86 -- Cu ISL -- All B500

87-99 -- DD S60 -- All B500

101-131 -- Cu ISL -- All B500

NFI DE60LF:

132-141 -- Cat C9 -- All Ev50

Gillig Low Floor:

501-555 -- Cu ISL -- All B500

NFI DE40LFR:

901-940 -- Cu ISL -- All Ev40

Hey, I hope this helps!

-Jared

Instead of starting a new thread, I will just post this Honolulu related item here.

A few months ago, I compiled a roster of The Bus' Gillig Phantoms. I will be adding it to my website this sunday. I got most of the info off of Western Transit (the website). In the mean time I will post it here first.

Year Built-Fleet Number- Engine

1994 601-659 DD S50

1995 660-685 DD S50

1995 686-688 Cu M11

1995 689-698 DD S50

1995 740-749 DD S50

1995 750 Cu M11

1995 751-770 DD S50

1995 771-773 Cu M11

1996 774-784 Cu M11

1996 785-795 DD S50

1997 301-346 Cu M11

1998 40-49 (30 foot version) Unknown

1998 347-365 Cu M11

2000 801-834 (Numbers/Qauntity may not be accurate) Cu ISM

2002 835-853 (Numbers/Qauntity may not be accurate) Cu ISM

2003 854-868 (Numbers/Qauntity may not be accurate) Cu ISM

Does anyone know if the last 3 entries are correct?

Does anyone know what engines the 30 footer have?

Does anyone have any corrections that they are pretty darn sure about?

Thanks!

The City went back to the original orange paint scheme due to political reasons.

The last mayor wanted to leave his legacy by changing the paint scheme to the rainbow colors, which had many problems due to the wrap originally being on the windows (people complained that the visibility was even lower, on top of the increased darkness of the tint used) and the fact that the rainbow is, in fact, upside down color-wise (red is on top, not on bottom).

So this current mayor decided to spit in the last mayor's face with his first order of buses by reverting to the old style.

-Jared

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing those! :(

I am also wondering why they wen back to the older paint scheme. Maybe people missed the sunny orange and wanted that back over the rainbow scheme.

Make a futuristic bus look older, I guess! ;)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, but a few questions:

Are you sure the D60LF's have Series 60's? They sounded a lot like Series 50's and they would need an extended engine bay for a Series 60 wouldn't they?

Also, the Gillig Phantoms, I got my information from Western Transit, I determined the engine type the buses have based on the seriel/model numbers listed. For example, 686-688 have seriel numbers or model numbers that indicate they are Cummins powered buses.

Interesting that #86 has a Cummins ISL, was this a retrofit of some sort?

I swear the DE60LF's sounded like ISL's, but looking at my own photos, they have an extended engine bay that is required for a CAT C9, but not an ISL.

These are things that I noticed when riding/taking photos of the buses in May. I appreciate your contributions for sure, keep us up to date. The Bus is an awesome transit system for buses only.

Ha, you are correct aboout the D60LF's. They are series 50 engines. A misprint on maintenance instructions noted them as series 60. Sorry about that.

Bus 86 is a retrofit, and there will be more conversions in the future. They have seen improved fuel economy with the ISL, and the fleet has been troubled by some issues with the safety system which prevents the bus from reaching 100% throttle immediately at takeoff with those DD engines. I believe that they waited until the buses were out of warranty to switch them over to the newer engines, though it has been a problem since they received the fleet in 1999.

Yeah, I took a look at those specs, and it just isn't the case. Every 600 has a DD engine, along with bus 750. 601-659 have the Allison B400 transmission, but later models came with the B500 installed, and the difference between the two is very noticeable. As a side note, buses 751-753 were used as demonstrators utilizing Walker Electronic Silencing technology. These have modified twin-pipe exhaust systems, and were deemed a failure, with a minimal decrease in noise (due to the A/C) and a major decrease in fuel economy. I'll see if I can't get a pic of that exhaust...it's pretty beefy.

I'd be interested to see a DE60LF with an ISL...according to the New Flyer website the C9 is the only configuration.

Oh, and those new DE40LFR's are really nice. After the last order of Gillig Low Floors were a bust (everyone hated them, though drivers loved the ISL engine), these New Flyers came in pretty slick.

Go ahead and read the Fall newsletter and check them out:

http://www.thebus.org/AboutTheBus/newsletter/fall.pdf

Another tangent...I am in college at the University of Oregon, and we just received the first of our 60-foot BRT models from New Flyer. They're...interesting...

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, but a few questions:

Are you sure the D60LF's have Series 60's? They sounded a lot like Series 50's and they would need an extended engine bay for a Series 60 wouldn't they?

Also, the Gillig Phantoms, I got my information from Western Transit, I determined the engine type the buses have based on the seriel/model numbers listed. For example, 686-688 have seriel numbers or model numbers that indicate they are Cummins powered buses.

Interesting that #86 has a Cummins ISL, was this a retrofit of some sort?

I swear the DE60LF's sounded like ISL's, but looking at my own photos, they have an extended engine bay that is required for a CAT C9, but not an ISL.

These are things that I noticed when riding/taking photos of the buses in May. I appreciate your contributions for sure, keep us up to date. The Bus is an awesome transit system for buses only.

EmX_downtown.jpg

• Board Admin

Yes, those new hybrids look very slick.

Another tangent...I am in college at the University of Oregon, and we just received the first of our 60-foot BRT models from New Flyer. They're...interesting...

Hope that helps!

Cool. EMX went through quite a few paint schemes until they got that current one. :blink:

I am pretty convinced now that the DE60LF's that Honolulu has have CAT C9's as they have an extended engine bay which would not be required if they have an ISL. So thank you for that correction.

With regards to the Gillig's, is the below accurate?

1995 771-773 Cu M11

1996 774-784 Cu M11

1996 785-795 DD S50

Thanks

As far as I know, those Gillig specs are accurate. The company had been going back and forth with those M11 engines...754-773 are assigned to the "country" or "rural" bus facility along with 785-795, while 740-753 and 774-784 are run on more "city" or "urban" routes, based in a different facility. Maybe that would explain the separations in the fleet.

I am pretty convinced now that the DE60LF's that Honolulu has have CAT C9's as they have an extended engine bay which would not be required if they have an ISL. So thank you for that correction.

With regards to the Gillig's, is the below accurate?

1995 771-773 Cu M11

1996 774-784 Cu M11

1996 785-795 DD S50

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Any ideas as to why these hybrids have an extended rear end when the only engine you can get (according to New Flyer's website) on a 40 foot hybrid is an ISL?

The 2005 DE40LFR demo (silver one) has no extended rear end yet it has the ISL. I am confused...

Any ideas as to why these hybrids have an extended rear end when the only engine you can get (according to New Flyer's website) on a 40 foot hybrid is an ISL?

The 2005 DE40LFR demo (silver one) has no extended rear end yet it has the ISL. I am confused...

Saskatchewan DE40LFR and Wash. DC DE40LFR have the extended rear end as well. Perhaps some minor modification?

• 2 weeks later...

Those buses dont have the ISL. I think it's the ISM, which according to the NFI website, extends the rear of the bus by 7" over the ISL. ISL leaves the bus its normal length, while ISM extends it. Apparently, the ISM is more fuel effecient than the ISL, but the ISL is cheaper to run (according to the Cummins website).

Those buses dont have the ISL. I think it's the ISM, which according to the NFI website, extends the rear of the bus by 7" over the ISL. ISL leaves the bus its normal length, while ISM extends it. Apparently, the ISM is more fuel effecient than the ISL, but the ISL is cheaper to run (according to the Cummins website).

Yes I am aware of that; however, the ISM is not an option listed (at NFI's website) for the DE40LF/R. Other properties that have DE40LF/R's also have this extended rear end while some do not.

The other properties that do have the extended rear end, does anyone know what engines they have?

Yes I am aware of that; however, the ISM is not an option listed (at NFI's website) for the DE40LF/R. Other properties that have DE40LF/R's also have this extended rear end while some do not.

The other properties that do have the extended rear end, does anyone know what engines they have?

HSR will be getting DE40LF and I'll find out by the time arrives.

Edited By K.Lo

• 7 months later...