becoming a oc transpo driver

geogaddi

im sure theres people out there that would love becoming a bus driver like me my question his ? im curious to know how the process works. like job interview, training, anual income & requirement.

This web page will answer some of your questions: http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/careers/bus/index_en.html. Last time I checked, Training takes approximately 6 weeks to complete (according to my copy of the Training Syllabus that I obtained in Spring 2005).

I know that between that time and now, things have changed in terms of operating procedures and technology that may require additional days of training (such as teaching operators how use the Text Messaging on the GPS, and teaching operators how to announce bus stops). But without a current Training Syllabus, I really can't say.

This web page will answer some of your questions: http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/careers/bus/index_en.html. Last time I checked, Training takes approximately 6 weeks to complete (according to my copy of the Training Syllabus that I obtained in Spring 2005).

I know that between that time and now, things have changed in terms of operating procedures and technology that may require additional days of training (such as teaching operators how use the Text Messaging on the GPS, and teaching operators how to announce bus stops). But without a current Training Syllabus, I really can't say.

Yea, I've been checking the Ottawa site for quite a while. (Planning to be a driver first then a mechanic). I'll probably do co-op next year at OC Transpo to learn more about the company and make myself more successful. My school is great at getting jobs for students, and great for helping me do co-op. :)

Well if so then, if OC wants to replace drivers, then in the next few years OC will need to hire a whol;e wack of drivers as many will be retiring 25-30+ years of service as most where hired in the early 1970's to mid 1970's.

If they won't be hiring drivers once I get the chance, I don't mind being a mechanic or working as a bus placer. :P

If they won't be hiring drivers once I get the chance, I don't mind being a mechanic or working as a bus placer. :P

Well for myself, working for the city and we always get"interna;" job placements before they go out to the general public, even if I pased al the driving and writen testing, I still would fail one important part of the who;e drivers requirement. VISUAL!! Because of my slight visual disability there's no way I could met the MTO's requirement for driving a bus visual requirements, Heck I'm just hanging on to my drivers licience as it is. Every 6-8 monthas I have to take a visual field test(takes about two hours to complete) to see if I get to keep my drivers licience!!!

Well if so then, if OC wants to replace drivers, then in the next few years OC will need to hire a whol;e wack of drivers as many will be retiring 25-30+ years of service as most where hired in the early 1970's to mid 1970's.

I was talking to a senior operator (who is also a "Relief Booking Clerk"), and he told me that OC will be hiring a lot of operators until 2009 to replace the retiring operators. In fact, the employee numbers for the operators has already hit the 6000 mark.

I was talking to a senior operator (who is also a "Relief Booking Clerk"), and he told me that OC will be hiring a lot of operators until 2009 to replace the retiring operators. In fact, the employee numbers for the operators has already hit the 6000 mark.

Their goes my chance.. I'll still be in school until 2010, then I graduate and head off to college to get my lisence for auto mechanics. (I was hoping to be a part-time driver)

At least you guys don't have to take a visual test every 6-8 months to see if you get to keep your licience or not. :)

no, but i do have to pay $80 or more to renew my mechanic's licence.

i have a c/z licence as well, so i have to meet all the requirements all the drivers do.

the ttc wants us to be capable of carrying passengers, should the need arise(not that it ever has).

So, you don't get a visual test if your driving?

what I mean is a person with normal vision does not need to get their eyes every once 6-8 months. A person only do the vision check when he/she is applying for a G1 license. From all the people I know, only one person failed the vision test because she forgot to bring her glasses.

i have a c/z licence as well, so i have to meet all the requirements all the drivers do.

the ttc wants us to be capable of carrying passengers, should the need arise(not that it ever has).

so a person does not need to get a c/z license to operate a bus as long as no passenger is on board?

what I mean is a person with normal vision does not need to get their eyes every once 6-8 months. A person only do the vision check when he/she is applying for a G1 license. From all the people I know, only one person failed the vision test because she forgot to bring her glasses.

so a person does not need to get a c/z license to operate a bus as long as no passenger is on board?

no, you still need one.

i was just stating that i have to adhere to the same standards the professional (revenue) drivers do.

back in the days of ontario's "chauffeur's licence", mechanics simply needed to prove ontario certification of their trade, and they were good to go. (empty,for road testing purposes).-if memory serves me correctly.

i could be wrong on that,as i started my apprenticeship just after the autamotive licences were separated into the system used today.

now you need a c/z,b/z etc (whichever the vehicle specifically requires) wether you're a truck/coach mechanic or not.

So, you don't get a visual test if your driving?

Exit At Rear

[I should of made my comment more clear.

You see it my case I have tunnel Glucoma whuich is a eye dease. there's no cure, just treatment. and depending on how server it is could lead to blindness.

In my case its so-so right now. I have to take 3 different eye drops for the rest of my life.

Will my Glucoma eventually lead me to be coming totally blind? I don't know. I hope not, but thats life sand there's not much I can do about it. ;)

TOM

mechanics make more money, and you don't have to deal with irate passengers.

Mechanics also get to inhale diesel emissions day in and day out, are required to purchase their own tools although they are subsidized by a measly tool allowance, and often get filthy from crawling under buses or poking around engine compartments.

Basically what I'm getting at is, every job has their pros and cons.

I'm surprised TTC doesn't reimburse the cost of this renewal fee. From what I understand the TTC has "Maintenance Operators" who can work overtime shifts as operators on their off days. I've also hear dthere is a 2 year waiting list for this.

As long as the bus is not used for a commercial purpose, you don't need anything more than a G class licence. However, if the vehicle is equipped with air brakes, you must have the Z endorsement. That being said, as long as the bus is not driven off of private property, you don't need a licence or air brake endorsement at all.

That being said, many companies such as the one for whom I work require all employees to be licenced. Bus drivers with a CZ or BZ (although soon they will require all to have a BZ), and mechanics and service attendants must have a DZ minimum.

im sure theres people out there that would love becoming a bus driver like me my question his ? im curious to know how the process works. like job interview, training, anual income & requirement.
or how about transit security officer.?