BC Transit - Penticton

I just got word that Penticton has received two more D40LF's. #'s 8026 & 8027 (Originally Kelowna units) were recently moved from Nanaimo to Penticton to join #'s 8028-8033. #8028 is also an original Kelowna unit, but was moved to Penticton a few years ago. (I forget when that was.) So now Penticton has all the Pre-1995 SMall Community D40LF's in their fleet unless they have moved one or more of the other ones out to another system. But I kind of doubt that. The only other Pre-1995 D40LF's are all running in Victoria and those are #'s 8001-8025, and 8034-8048.

• 2 years later...

Was told by Silver 102C3 that he had received word that a Dart was on its way to Penticton. Sure enough, #9090 (still with Victoria phone #'s) showed up yesterday evening while I was watching my Canucks get pulverized. It shouldn't be in Penticton for too long, as it is just a replacement for a D40LF that received minor accident damage. And, of course, the entire fleet will be getting replaced around mid-June.

The last time Penticton had Darts was when the D40LFs were pulled for the radius rod safety issues; 0008, 0014 and 0018 were sent as replacements.

• 3 weeks later...
A pic of #9090 parked in the penticton yard. It is used only as a last resort spare, replacing 8028 while it's off getting repairs. Thanks to MBTA9244-9640b for resizing, I sure couldn't have figured that out myself.

Worth noting is that is has 8028's license plates.

How come? :)
From what I have heard from many Operators in Victoria and Kelowna, most do not like driving them! There were a few in Penticton several years ago when the D40LF's had to be parked with problems that are mentioned earlier in this thread!

I would actually love to take one for a spin to see what they are like and experience them! But it looks like I would barely be able to fit in the Operators work station!

From what I have heard from many Operators in Victoria and Kelowna, most do not like driving them! There were a few in Penticton several years ago when the D40LF's had to be parked with problems that are mentioned earlier in this thread!

You do realize that I drive a Dart, don't you? :)

They are slow, underpowered, rattle like no tomorrow but they turn and corner like a VW Golf :D

I would actually love to take one for a spin to see what they are like and experience them! But it looks like I would barely be able to fit in the Operators work station!

The drivers cab is actually alot roomier than it looks. The seat goes back quite far and the steering column is easy to adjust into any position. The only problem with the colum is that since its air powered, if theres a bit of water in it, it'll freeze up during winter and makes it impossible to move into another position. The best thing about them is the drivers door though, just wish our Novas had a closed cabin like that.

Agreed, the drivers I spoke with in Abbotsford HATE the Darts.

Chris Cassidy

• 2 months later...

Riding 8030 right now in Penticton and figured it'd be a good time to make my report.

8027-8031, 8033, 9338, 9340, 9341 were all spotted yesterday at the yard (9341 was in service). Today all of them have been seen in service or in the yard, 9338 and 8031 weren't at the yard and haven't been seen in service though.

Now to Kelowna!

Edit: 9338 is in the shops, I'm guessing 8031 is too.

Chris Cassidy

Edited by 502 Surrey Ctrl Stn

• 2 weeks later...
What a shame :P Those were some great buses.

Not even a month after I was out there shooting them, they're gone.

Chris Cassidy

At least the one they were left with is powered by an old school two stroke Detroit. I love the sound of those 6V92TAs, and with the departure of the Classics, there are only 33 buses left in the fleet that have those engines.

• 3 weeks later...