Sign in to follow this  
MCW Metrobus

Whistler Transit

I don't understand how Nova's could be poor performers in the snow - they're standard equipment in many of Canada's snowiest, largest cities.

I don't understand how Nova's could be poor performers in the snow - they're standard equipment in many of Canada's snowiest, largest cities.

Exactly. We have 27 Novas here in Tbay and they perform very well in snow and icy road conditions.

They don't... cause when they pull out of a stop... they either fish tail or get stuck... not the funnest experience i tell ya... especially on an icy hill...

If you are talking about "Vancouver snow" then you might have a case, but everything performs poorly in our wet fake-snow.

When SFU gets snow Nova's are sent up the hill in place of whatever else was being used, and that saved us a few times last Spring semester.

With all due respect, us Vancouverites are not the one's who should try and make informed decisions about snow-handling abilities! :lol:

They don't... cause when they pull out of a stop... they either fish tail or get stuck... not the funnest experience i tell ya... especially on an icy hill...

Explain that in Montreal!

Second, the sad news. Apparently in a few weeks the Classics will be replaced by NOVAS. Yes that's right Novas in Whistler :P I heard this from several drivers but I'm not 100% sure about that yet as we all know how amazing Novas have preformed in the snow :lol: And I'm not even sure if there are any more orders for more BC Transit Novas.

Chris

This should be interesting as Whistler applies to their own blue livery, but however it's the same thing with the new BC Transit livery.

If you are talking about "Vancouver snow" then you might have a case

That's what i was referring to, compared to anywhere else in the country... the snow we get isn't good for making snowballs or snow people, its mainly just wet snow... like melts in your hand the instant you touch it... that is until it piles up...

It's funny how people in Vancouver handle the snow LOL

Chris

Yeah, whoever assigns artic going up the hilll and all it does is jacknife and slips falling behind.

Well after some time today in Whistler I came back full of Classics and with some sad news.

First Classics that were seen in service today: 8902, 8904, 8905, 8910, 8911, 8913, 8917, 8919

Second, the sad news. Apparently in a few weeks the Classics will be replaced by NOVAS. Yes that's right Novas in Whistler :lol: I heard this from several drivers but I'm not 100% sure about that yet as we all know how amazing Novas have preformed in the snow :) And I'm not even sure if there are any more orders for more BC Transit Novas.

Chris

Looks like the news was correct. My brother took this photo on Monday afternoon just outside of the villiage. He wasn't quick enough to get a better pic but he'll keep trying. :P

Also, by the looks of things and judging by the rear door, this is not a suburban model like the others for BC transit.

whistler_lfs.jpg

Looks like the news was correct. My brother took this photo on Monday afternoon just outside of the villiage. He wasn't quick enough to get a better pic but he'll keep trying. :)

Also, by the looks of things and judging by the rear door, this is not a suburban model like the others for BC transit.

Damnit.. I am going to go broke trying to keep up on BC Transit fleets!

Looks like the news was correct. My brother took this photo on Monday afternoon just outside of the villiage. He wasn't quick enough to get a better pic but he'll keep trying. :D

I have a feeling that is a temporary one from another city in the province (Abbotsford?) as no new ones have arrived yet for PDI. This one could just be out there for the moment for driver training.

Chris

I have a feeling that is a temporary one from another city in the province (Abbotsford?) as no new ones have arrived yet for PDI. This one could just be out there for the moment for driver training.

Chris

I just heard from my brother again and he spoke to drivers today who were stopped while doing driver training. The drivers told him that by the 22nd of this month there will be 18 new Novas in Whistler. 2 of these units will be used for the route between Whistler and Squamish. Also, these new units will retire all remaining Orions. As this is second hand info it is tough to understand the next part but basically there can't be any high floor buses within a year from now due to the Olympics. As a result of this I am assuming that the classics will disappear too although this wasn't mentioned by the driver. What the driver also said was that the Hydrogen buses aren't expected until next September and at that point all but 5 of the Novas will be relocated elsewhere in the province (this didn't make sense so I'm thinking maybe he meant after the Olympics)

The driver then gave my brother a quick tour of the new Nova and explained to him how the new model doesn't have steps up at the back due to the engine at one side and showed him the security cameras and explained that all new novas have voice recorders that aren't yet active on any buses due to legalities involved.

I just heard from my brother again and he spoke to drivers today who were stopped while doing driver training. The drivers told him that by the 22nd of this month there will be 18 new Novas in Whistler. 2 of these units will be used for the route between Whistler and Squamish. Also, these new units will retire all remaining Orions. As this is second hand info it is tough to understand the next part but basically there can't be any high floor buses within a year from now due to the Olympics. As a result of this I am assuming that the classics will disappear too although this wasn't mentioned by the driver. What the driver also said was that the Hydrogen buses aren't expected until next September and at that point all but 5 of the Novas will be relocated elsewhere in the province (this didn't make sense so I'm thinking maybe he meant after the Olympics)

The driver then gave my brother a quick tour of the new Nova and explained to him how the new model doesn't have steps up at the back due to the engine at one side and showed him the security cameras and explained that all new novas have voice recorders that aren't yet active on any buses due to legalities involved.

Well I did spot several Novas for Whistler on Saturday out in Port Kells.

BC Transit orders full low-floor LFS?? I didn't know that.

BC Transit orders full low-floor LFS?? I didn't know that.

That can't be! I think he's explaining in general!

That can't be! I think he's explaining in general!

Yeah you're probably right. It didn't make much sense to me. He was probably comparing a HF bus to a LF bus because he also made reference to the fact that the HFs will be gone. Either way the info he gave was somewhat helpful.

Well much my my folks dismay of me leaving the house for the day yesterday... i took a bit of a trip up to whistler yesterday... now to settle the rumors about whats up there...

1) yes the classics are still running... i did spot and ride 3 of them... 8905, 8913 (ex: 4133) and 8919..,

2) yes the nova's are running but they aren't there to replace the classics... they are there to replace the orions... at least that's what a driver told me...

as for pictures... now that will be up later today... but for now i leave you with this little snapshot... IMG_4119.JPG can anyone guess what kind of bus this is...

2) yes the nova's are running but they aren't there to replace the classics... they are there to replace the orions... at least that's what a driver told me...

That would be more of what I would be expecting to happen as the Orion's have some serious rusting issues from what I saw early this year when I was there. I believe the Classics are in better shape!

as for pictures... now that will be up later today... but for now i leave you with this little snapshot... IMG_4119.JPG can anyone guess what kind of bus this is...

That would be a Dennis Dart, probably a 9900 series, but it's hard to tell which series it is.

That would be a Dennis Dart, probably a 9900 series, but it's hard to tell which series it is.

Actually no the fleet number is 0006... and the rest of the pictures should be up before the end of the day...