References - introduction and standardization

D40LF

While surfing the other Wiki came across this on somebodies Talk Page:

Do you know where CPTDB got its information? A discussion board or wiki isn't a valid citable source. vıdıoman (talk • contribs) 02:35, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

It seems strange and sad that someone would question the vast knowledge that the members of this board have.

So that no one can question us again how to people feel about introducing a references section on the pages? That way the source is listed. By the way they were discussing Thunder Bay Transit.

True, I did think about that as I was posting. But there are also official sources used, rosters, reports, schedules. It was those items I was thinking about.

A lot of references are personal, but oh well.

I did put some references on one of my ETS pages, namely DATS: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Edmonto...sit_System_DATS

I'd advise against it. I see on too many Wikipedia pages "references required," and often it says they are required for things that are either not referancable or are blatantly obvious. I mean, am I going to have to reference my (true) claim that MT transfers expire as late as 2:45? How exactly would one reference seeing a bus interline? I know I only add data like that when I see how buses appear, and it is not (usually) possible to see a run guide from the driver of the interline.

What I would suggest instead is that we work together to create a mission statement that states how we get our information, why is it valid, and explain why we don't reference it.

I personally wouldn't want to list references. For one information that a board member may have may ultimately just lead back to themself. Example, if a member rides a bus and recognizes the engine, they weren't told by a source about that. Also some people may want or have to keep their source of information private.

Although I'm not a Wiki member, but would like to offer my opinion on this issue.

I'm against requiring a list of references. It's possible that some information are obtained via personal communication with persons that work for a transit system, and do not want to reveal who that person is as a source.

I agree, no References lists. A number of pages states blaintly obvious things such as D40LFs are common on YRT route 1. There is no 'official' documents that lists route 1 as having a minimum daily requirement of D40LFs, just the combined members' sightings and ridings of numerous D40LFs.

(SLF dosage: Not recommended unless necessary :()

If you used a book, website, newspaper, or other publication I believe there should be a reference. It gives what is written credibility. Certainly, you can't be posting a reference for what someone told you, and probably not for personal obersvations.

There's a reason why books have a list of references. Even in Edmonton's Electric Transit, there are references for personal observations made by the authors.

Weren't any of you required to give a list of references with reports you do in school? Why did you have to provide a list of references?

Personally, having experience with other wikis, it's annoying when you have to reference something when you make a personal observation. For example, I may find out information on a bus model from a driver, thus I don't really feel like putting down 'Found from <Insert Name> driving <Transit> Bus #<Number>'. It gets tedious when it's personal.