Airdrie Intercity Commuter Express & Local Service

highfive

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2016 at 5:43 PM, LRT said:

In Airdrie. The operator driving this bus sounded like he was using his maxi brakes every time unloaded his customers. Very nice looking bus

Screenshot_2016-06-08-17-29-30.png

If he started with First as a School Bus Driver, it may be habit for him as that is what we are supposed to do at all bus stops while driving School bus, but those do not have Interlocks on them.  Well, not the ones I drove anyways.  Maybe the Interlock on the Airdrie unit was faulty and he knew it so he would set park brake to prevent any rolling while doors were open. Who knows for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

The compressor is active whenever the engine is running. It simply goes into "unloaded" mode once the air is built up, that means air is now simply being moved between the two cylinders in the compressor instead of being compressed. When the systems calls for more air the compressor goes back into "loaded" mode and starts compressing air again.

There is no waste of air in applying the maxi at every stop and really isn't much different than the load on the compressor from rear/front door interlocks setting the brakes, air suspension and the usual loss of air through leaky fittings or rust pinholes in tanks after they've been run for 10+ years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.airdriecityview.com/article/Riders-will-see-big-changes-to-transit-20160707

Riders will see big changes to transit

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 06:00 am

• Changes coming to Airdrie Transit are intended to improve service and increase ridership.
    Changes coming to Airdrie Transit are intended to improve service and increase ridership.
    File Photo/Rocky View Publishing

Riders of Airdrie Transit’s local and regional services can expect big changes in the next few years. Airdrie City council unanimously endorsed the Transit Master Plan at its July 7 regular meeting.

Transit Co-ordinator Chris MacIsaac said the new “innovative approach” – called Dynamic Transit – will use a variety of ride sharing services to easily connect customers living outside of the main transit zone with the main transit service.

Dynamic Transit will allow customers who live further than a five-minute walk from a bus stop to use an online or mobile app to book a ride using a ride-share system to take them to a bus stop. Rides can be booked up to an hour in advance.

“The vehicle that’s going to pick you up will meet the bus at that transfer point (bus stop) and you won’t have to have a 15-minute wait for that vehicle to take you to your final destination,” MacIsaac said.

According to MacIsaac, only 41 per cent of Airdrie’s urban area is within a five-minute walk (400 metres) of a transit stop. Dynamic Transit will allow the other 59 per cent to have access to transit services.

Once administration has “flushed out the details” of the new program, the ride share will go to tender, according to MacIsaac.

He said all of this is good news for the taxi industry.

“We’re talking about trips that could easily be completed by a van or a sedan, and the taxi industry in Airdrie is a very logical place for us to look in terms of providing that service for us,” he said.

One of the big changes transit riders will see as a result of Dynamic Transit is a decrease in the number of fixed routes within the city from three to two.

These routes will also be re-drawn to connect to some of Airdrie’s major destinations, including the south transit terminal, Genesis Place Recreation Centre, grocery stores and high schools. Both routes will have increased stops in Airdrie’s northeast, northwest and southwest. MacIsaac said having the routes run where customers are or want to go is key.

“I think we worked well to identify a service plan that looks at some of our shortcomings today and addressing those over a phased approach over the coming years,” he said.

“It’s going to be more and better transit for our residents.”

The current Dial-a-Bus service will be phased out as Dynamic Transit is phased in. Regional service on the Inter City Express (ICE) bus via route 900 will be extended on Main Street to Veterans Boulevard within Airdrie and to Rundle Station in Calgary.

Gathering customer feedback was a key part of the process in developing the new plan, according to MacIsaac.

“We heard from customers on the front end what the issues were. We made some changes,” he said.

“We took them back to our customers again to either validate or get their feedback. They certainly shared that with us. It was a hugely valuable process for us.”

Mayor Peter Brown said he thought the new plan was “really good,” but would require council taking some time to fully understand what it entails.

“Depending on some of the forecasts for some of the expansion, it’s going to be a significant investment for the community over the next 10 years,” he said.

All of these changes won’t take place overnight, MacIsaac said, noting, “I think our customers are going to be very pleased with the changes that will be forthcoming under this plan over the next two to three years.”

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

So I have read elsewhere that Airdrie Transit #3717 has been sent back to Grande West Transportation in British Columbia, and a replacement unit has been sent out.  It also has a rear door too. It is running in service plain white with no fleet numbers.

Just wondering about that bus. I haven't seen it in a while.

Went for a ride yesterday and confirmed the VIN is that of the demo bus at the (current) bottom of the table on the wiki - 2G9B30AA0GA098037. It shows up as 3717 on Airdrie's online map.

I sent Airdrie Transit a tweet, and they verified the bus is just on loan from Grande West:

Thanks for the Tweet. Bus is on temp. Loan from the manufacturer thus the white livery ^CM

On a different note, the 900 is really well used. Leaving McKnight on its 4:50pm trip, there were nearly no empty seats and a few standees. Coming back from CrossIron towards Calgary, it was similarly busy - if not a tad more so. The portion of the route between CrossIron and Airdrie is definitely quieter, but still very steady. Having a bigger bus on the route isn't a bad thing, and it's nice to see the route doing so well. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ADB said:

Anyone know what exactly went wrong with the original bus?

Not confirmed, but rumors are electrical issues. Maybe other items too?

Anyways here are some photos taken last Thursday of the demo loaner bus aka the temporary #3717.

airdrie-transit_vicinity-demo-1a.jpg

airdrie-transit_vicinity-demo-1b.jpg

airdrie-transit_vicinity-demo-1c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ridding on the route 900 bus #3711 as we speak. 100kph on HWY 2 on problems. Nice solid bus and 2nd time on a Nova Bus. 8 people on board 2 of them got at Cross Iron Mills Mall.

I noticed that the operator has a IPad mini on his dash.  Looks like it's running a passenger counter software on it. 

It's damn cold out! This bus has outstanding coach heat!

On 12/6/2016 at 10:17 AM, LRT said:

I'm ridding on the route 900 bus #3711 as we speak. 100kph on HWY 2 on problems. Nice solid bus and 2nd time on a Nova Bus. 8 people on board 2 of them got at Cross Iron Mills Mall.

I noticed that the operator has a IPad mini on his dash.  Looks like it's running a passenger counter software on it. 

It's damn cold out! This bus has outstanding coach heat!

I am finding the Nova's are great winter buses when it comes to heat and handling. Drove one yesterday and was impressed with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...