Airdrie Intercity Commuter Express & Local Service

highfive

Spotted 3716 in service yesterday afternoon as well as this afternoon. I am not sure if it has been active before yesterday or not. Hopefully someone can confirm when it actually entered service.

Edit: A friend sent me this link on Twitter showing that yesterday was it's "Maiden Voyage!"

https://twitter.com/geraldnt/status/689233460402098176

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has this been mentioned? I had no idea that Airdrie Transit opened a terminal and park and ride. Very nice and lots of room for expansion. The lot wasn't very full mind you its Friday. The park and ride is bigger then Saddletown in comparison. Feels like a Calgary Transit station! Enjoy these pics!

uploadfromtaptalk1455898173798.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455898178995.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455898183196.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455898188459.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455898191657.jpg

Has this been mentioned? I had no idea that Airdrie Transit opened a terminal and park and ride. Very nice and lots of room for expansion. The lot wasn't very full mind you its Friday. The park and ride is bigger then Saddletown in comparison. Feels like a Calgary Transit station! Enjoy these pics!

attachicon.gif20160219_090224.jpgattachicon.gif20160219_090241.jpgattachicon.gif20160219_090336.jpgattachicon.gif20160219_090347.jpgattachicon.gif20160219_090415.jpg

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that it was going to be built. But yeah, nice photos!

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that it was going to be built. But yeah, nice photos!

All we need now is the Ctrain to pull up[emoji13] Cp Rail's ROW is just west of the terminal.. can you imagine a intercity rail connection linking Airdrie, Calgary and other surrounding communities? Salt lake City has a cool linking train. Oh well all we can do is dream...

All we need now is the Ctrain to pull up[emoji13] Cp Rail's ROW is just west of the terminal.. can you imagine a intercity rail connection linking Airdrie, Calgary and other surrounding communities? Salt lake City has a cool linking train. Oh well all we can do is dream...

I've been dreaming of a commuter service from Airdrie, Cochrane, Dewinton, Okotoks and High River for years. Even with stops towards the outer fringes of downtown, and then express into the station in Downtown Calgary. I honestly think it would work, but how to come up with the millions required for track upgrades, capacity improvements and the rolling stock, let alone the operational costs...

The P&R station looks like it can handle multiple 40-foot and 60-foot buses, nevermind the Arboc's or Vicinity buses... will this be a future transit hub by early design, or strictly Park and Ride?

This is already a current hub for all of Airdrie Transit's routes except one of the locals. So all four ICE routes and 2 local routes all connect here in addition to the Park N'Ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

I wonder if anyone has mentioned that to Airdrie Transit at all?

Airdrie Transit is starting to remind me of the Oklahoma City Transit system (OK GO) that I looked up during one of my University projects... OKGO is literally only along major corridors, to employment center's - and that's it. Virtually no residential coverage, or suburban feeder lines. Recently, OKGO even talked about BRT... yet if there's no ridership, it's useless! 

Airdrie Transit can't expect to expand ridership if they can't cover residential areas. Oooooooo, they expanded the ICE service and brought in service to Crossiron... cover's Calgary as increased ridership, but within the city itself, has it even increased in the past few years? Just read the article too, the new major-route idea is a major step back. That's the kind of route that could work for places like Selkirk or Chestermere, but definitely not for a city of... what is it now, 50,000 people? I also blatantly hate the idea of "dynamic transit" - all that "dynamic" transit does, is turn off people further from bus service in lieu of taxis, an Uberization of public transport (the ATU, if Airdrie is unionized, may not exactly be pleased). At least if they had a DART service, it's possible to maintain coverage, allow for shorter trips, not forcing them to take other forms of transportation that may potentially be better than the bus (self-defeating plan for transit expansions), and overall pleasing everybody. 

Just wondering if anyone here has ever taken the local transit service in Airdrie? I have and your points have some validity.  The residential speed limits are 30km/h which means long travel times and relatively poor coverage. I usually use the service along the main corridors so I can avoid the painfully slow circuitous routes in the neighborhoods. 

38 minutes ago, karting_tigo said:

Just wondering if anyone here has ever taken the local transit service in Airdrie? I have and your points have some validity.  The residential speed limits are 30km/h which means long travel times and relatively poor coverage. I usually use the service along the main corridors so I can avoid the painfully slow circuitous routes in the neighborhoods. 

I rode one of the local routes (I think route 2) to the N.W. end of Airdrie from the south terminal once a few years ago and that's about it and it didn't take very long from what I recall. I think there was 2-3 other people on board the bus at the time and that was after 1800 or so.  

From the times I have been in Airdrie in my own vehicle, I haven't ventured off the main roads much.   I should go out there at some point and take a closer look at the residential streets out there. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Issack said:

I rode the 900 today! 3717 is a pretty sweet bus! It has a ZF tranny though but quite smooth! Ridership is crazy ! Fully seated load and 7 people standing leave McKnight 

There seems to be no consistency as to what bus they use. Have seen Arboc's, Nova's and the Yaxing doing the 900 during the week.

The operater I spoke to said "every 10 days or so they take the yaxing out of service for work or "other things" and they will use the spare Nova or arboc." 

He also said they are looking at getting a few more yaxings to replace the arbocs!

3 hours ago, Issack said:

The operater I spoke to said "every 10 days or so they take the yaxing out of service for work or "other things" and they will use the spare Nova or arboc." 

He also said they are looking at getting a few more yaxings to replace the arbocs!

It isn't on the 900 that often, but I guess they could use it on the local routes instead. See a Nova more often than the Yaxing.

Not sure if anyone knows this but I live in Airdrie.

The local routes are not that bad now but they really need to venture out into the communities. If they change things twork 1 route it's going to make it tough for people to use as the main streets are very far from the nearest bus stops

I have seen the Nova out last week quite a bit. The articulated buses stop about a block away from my house. 

Now a bit off topic now...

I drive by the TRAX Bus Yard almost everyday and National Coach Lines is next door to my daughter's school! 

I'll try to take some more pics of Airdrie Transits buses for all of you!

Any special requests please let me know!