CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! Please report any issues here.

highfive

Airdrie Intercity Commuter Express & Local Service

Found an interesting article within the Calgary Herald dating to Febuary 6, 2010. Apparently rush hour express commuter service to (?) interline with/connect to the 301 at Northpointe. Note the following is an excerpt.

Allure Of Airdrie

Mere minutes from Calgary, yet with small-town charm, it's no wonder Airdrie is attracting new residents by the score

By Marty Hope, Calgary HeraldFebruary 6, 2010

With population growth, Airdrie is also planning an expansion of its small transit system to move people to and from Calgary.

Beginning this September and with the co-operation of Calgary Transit, an inner-city express service will begin as a rush-hour service to deliver people from Airdrie to a connector bus depot at Country Hills Boulevard and Center Street in Calgary.

> Wonder if this will be funded solely by Airdrie or if Calgary Transit will pick up some of the cost> Probably going to be rather busy, as long as good frequencies exist.

Found an interesting article within the Calgary Herald dating to Febuary 6, 2010. Apparently rush hour express commuter service to (?) interline with/connect to the 301 at Northpointe. Note the following is an excerpt.

Allure Of Airdrie

Mere minutes from Calgary, yet with small-town charm, it's no wonder Airdrie is attracting new residents by the score

By Marty Hope, Calgary HeraldFebruary 6, 2010

With population growth, Airdrie is also planning an expansion of its small transit system to move people to and from Calgary.

Beginning this September and with the co-operation of Calgary Transit, an inner-city express service will begin as a rush-hour service to deliver people from Airdrie to a connector bus depot at Country Hills Boulevard and Center Street in Calgary.

> Wonder if this will be funded solely by Airdrie or if Calgary Transit will pick up some of the cost> Probably going to be rather busy, as long as good frequencies exist.

I heard about this months ago, there supose to be using artics. They need a NE shuttle to Mcknight direct to the LRT, that would make more sense the 301 will really be packed now!!

Yeah, I've heard word it was happening this year, hadn't heard exactly when yet though. I believe that CT is kicking in some funding for it from an article I read a while back (I know that CT is partially funding the development of a transit strategy for Cochrane which initially will be similar to what Airdrie has done and is doing in the future as well)

Alberta Transportation regs for transit buses on major highways prohibit standee's so the Airdrie approach is to stay off the QEII.

BTW Airdrie paid Calgary Transit for something like $37,000 worth of transit consultations for this project.

I knew about the plan to implement service as well, however I haven't seen any concrete time objectives. That article says September 2010.

Alberta Transportation regs for transit buses on major highways prohibit standee's so the Airdrie approach is to stay off the QEII.

BTW Airdrie paid Calgary Transit for something like $37,000 worth of transit consultations for this project.

So Range Road 13, the road that Harvest Hills Blvd. becomes north of Stony Trail and Big Springs Hill Road, both of which have a speed limit of 80km/h would not be considered a highway I guess? The intersection of Highway 566/Range Road 13 is a high risk intersection for large vehicles to be going through as you have two fairly busy high speed commuter roads crossing each other with just a pair of stop signs.

I think that would be a ridiculous route to take considering Stoney Trail and the QEII are 2 and 3 lanes respectively and are 100km/h & 110km/h highways. I would imagine if Calgary Transit started running buses to Airdrie they would enforce some sort of no standee rule. All buses have counters, so the driver could easily keep track of the number of passengers he or she has boarded.

So Range Road 13, the road that Harvest Hills Blvd. becomes north of Stony Trail and Big Springs Hill Road, both of which have a speed limit of 80km/h would not be considered a highway I guess? The intersection of Highway 566/Range Road 13 is a high risk intersection for large vehicles to be going through as you have two fairly busy high speed commuter roads crossing each other with just a pair of stop signs.

I think that would be a ridiculous route to take considering Stoney Trail and the QEII are 2 and 3 lanes respectively and are 100km/h & 110km/h highways. I would imagine if Calgary Transit started running buses to Airdrie they would enforce some sort of no standee rule. All buses have counters, so the driver could easily keep track of the number of passengers he or she has boarded.

It would be foolish in the first place to expect passengers to have to stand from Airdie to Calgary, regardless if it is on the QEII or some other road. I certainly wouldn't want to be standing on an artic at 80km/h. St. Albert's standards are to run commuter buses at around 80-90% capacity as they recognize commuters aren't going to tolerate standing all the way into Edmonton.

ETS provides commuter service to Spruce Grove and Fort Saskatchewan on major highways without issue. Not sure how they would handle them, but I suspect they just keep a close eye on the service and make it isn't getting overloaded.

Airdrie To Launch Transit Service To Calgary In Fall

March 29, 2010

Calgary Herald

Jason Mrkusoff

CALGARY - Chronic delays in the province's regional transit funding haven't stopped Airdrie, which will start its first public bus service with Calgary this fall.

The community of 38,000 will use the Intercity Express, with three $700,000 long buses Airdrie council has purchased.

The Stelmach government's 2008 pledge of $2 billion toward regional buses or trains had Calgary and its neighbours plot a long-term transit system featuring express buses and eventually commuter trains.

The deficit-plagued Tories haven't rolled out the "green trip" dollars yet, but Airdrie had held off on its long-standing transit expansion plans long enough and decided to go it alone.

"We just really couldn't wait any longer -- we had to meet the needs of our communities," Mayor Linda Bruce said.

Whole article here.

Will the service be run by Calgary Transit? I've always thought that it will be. If not, there's possibility of future issues due to lack of cohesion. We should really have a regional authority, shared between all municipalities set by the Provincial Government in order to provide service at favorable economies of scale. At the very least, its very good that the service will start in the fall and give commuters an extra option.

From what I've understood it will be operated by drivers hired by Airdrie, but one rumor that I've heard is that the buses will be based and maintained at SG. How valid this is I don't know, but it would make sense given that CT was involved at least in the decision making and the buses ordered for it are D60LFR's according to the same source. Of course there is also the issue that SG to my knowledge isn't setup for doing mechanical work on the D60LFR's yet, meaning either it will be, or they may be maintained out of VP, or the more costly option of Airdrie setting up their own maintenance facility is also possible but I think unlikely.

From what I've understood it will be operated by drivers hired by Airdrie, but one rumor that I've heard is that the buses will be based and maintained at SG. How valid this is I don't know, but it would make sense given that CT was involved at least in the decision making and the buses ordered for it are D60LFR's according to the same source. Of course there is also the issue that SG to my knowledge isn't setup for doing mechanical work on the D60LFR's yet, meaning either it will be, or they may be maintained out of VP, or the more costly option of Airdrie setting up their own maintenance facility is also possible but I think unlikely.

Traxx Coachlines operates out of Airdrie and has maintenance facilities for their 45 foot motorcoaches. However, again I doubt they are setup for 60 foot buses, but that's what portable hoists are for.

As a Airdrie resident, it's nice to hear that this has finally been set up. Hope to see Nova Artics not NFI.

I'm surprised to hear about the artic's finding their way to Airdrie. Having it connect with Calgary's buses makes sense. Red Deer isn't getting any (or double deckers)

Airdrie has put up some new information on the Intercity Express (ICE) service thats starting this fall. Couple notable points:

Where will the ICE service connect with Calgary Transit?

The ICE bus will connect with key Calgary Transit hubs in the north and downtown. These include:

• North Pointe: Route 8 (U of C)
  • 78th Ave: Route 2 (17th Ave S)
  • 40th Ave: Route 72/73 (Circle Route NE Industrial, U of C, Mount Royal, SE Industrial)
  • 16th Ave: Route 19 (SAIT, Peter Lougheed, U of C)
  • 7th Ave: LRT Connections

Will the local transit connect with the ICE bus?

Absolutely. Airdrie Transit's local service will connect with the cities two primary transit hubs in Sierra Springs (South Terminal) and Gateway (North Terminal). These are primary pick-up/drop-off points for the ICE service.

Will there be park & ride facilities?

We are working to establish two park & ride facilities, one in the north in Gateway near the Real Canadian Superstore and a second in the south in Sierra Springs close to the Comfort Inn.

Airdrie has put up some new information on the Intercity Express (ICE) service thats starting this fall. Couple notable points:

Since "ICE" is connecting with limited runs route like 8 will these calgarytransit routes see improvments? extended service more frequence that sort of thing

Since "ICE" is connecting with limited runs route like 8 will these calgarytransit routes see improvments? extended service more frequence that sort of thing

Whenever I drive the rte 8, it has a full seated load; hopefully some improvements are made. It could make things a bit easier.

Yeah, the few times I've seen the 8 leaving from brentwood in the evenings its looked pretty full, maybe it'll get some more frequency added come the next schedule revisions (which are sometime in June?).

I think for the most part that list on the ICE site is just the routes with bigger destinations, having it stop at the points it does gives a huge amount of connections to a lot of the city.

Here's more on the Airdrie Intercity Commuter (I.C.E)

Regional transit taking shape

Posted By Marie Pollock — Echo Reporter

Marie Pollock

Echo Reporter

As Airdrie prepares to launch its intercity transit service this fall, other communities are waiting on the government for funding of similar projects.

The provincial government announced the Green Trip fund two years ago, and is expected to release its grant criteria within the next month, at which point other communities can submit proposals for commuter service.

Airdrie is part of a regional partnership to provide intercity transit services to Alberta communities including Cochrane, High River, Chestermere and Strathmore. But since Airdrie started it's own private two-way bus service, the city does not have to wait for provincial funding.

Airdrie Mayor Linda Bruce said that the intercity service will provide Airdrie residents with more choice in how they travel.

"By having a transit system that connects regionally, I think we'll be providing a tremendous service for our community," Bruce said. "People will have the opportunity to move in different ways and I think that's going to be really important."

Bruce said that studies have indicated that about 2600 cars leave the city per day, with about 2300 returning. Having a transit system will provide service to those who can't get into Calgary by other means, and will also help to reduce the city's carbon footprint, she said.

Although Airdrie is running its own service, Bruce said that she would like the government to release its grant criteria, so the city can utilize some of that money for the current transit program.

Cochrane Mayor Truper McBride said that he is also waiting on the government, and is currently working on a proposal for Cochrane's intercity service.

Advertisement

"The Green Trip is all about reducing the carbon footprint and getting people out of their vehicles," McBride said. "We see our proposal as a very strong strategy in making that happen."

McBride said that his proposed plan includes enhancing the transit service in Calgary, Airdrie and Cochrane, and conducting studies on how to improve transit in communities like Strathmore, Chestermere and Okotoks. Along with the intercity service, he said he wants to look at getting a local transit service for Cochrane as well.

"In Cochrane, the response has been phenomenal," McBride said. "People here really want intercity transit, (and) they also want local transit."

He said that he is hoping, after proposals have been submitted, to hear announcements from the province by September or October of this year.

"We think that what we're submitting is incredibly innovative for Alberta," McBride said. "There is not a very strong transit culture at all, so introducing transit into the region on those grounds itself is extremely innovative."

Bruce and McBride both said that future plans for the project include possible development of a train service that connects the communities to Calgary.

Also in the Airdrie City View newspaper reports that city council has requested $1,349.00 for the renovation of a existing city building (The former bus barn located at the public works building in Airdrie) to house the 3 articulated buses that will arrive in July.

The City View has not updated there website to view the full story.

I am trying to figure out if these are going to be 3 buses leased from Calgary Transit or if they are actually brand new units that are to be delivered. This is quite interesting.
Suppose to be new Airdrie Buses, purchased through the direction of Calgary Transit.

Could very well be a "piggy-back" off of a Calgary transit order, similar to things that are happening in the US now

Also in the Airdrie City View newspaper reports that city council has requested $1,349.00 for the renovation of a existing city building (The former bus barn located at the public works building in Airdrie) to house the 3 articulated buses that will arrive in July.

They updated the site finally....

Transit garage

City council approved a request for $1,349,000 for the renovation of 23 East Lake Hill to accommodate a transit bus garage that will house three articulated buses. The buses will be used for the Intercity Express, transporting people to and from downtown Calgary three times a day. The buses will arrive in July and the service will be operational by September. “Reusing the former bus barn located at the public works building was identified as the least costly option as it was originally designed as a transit facility,” said Rob McLean, property administrator with the City. “To accommodate this use, other moves are necessary. Building, operations, utilities and telecommunications will have to be relocated to accommodate the buses.” It is estimated the move will cost $349,000 and renovations to the structure will cost about $1 million. The $349,000 will be derived from the General Capital Reserve and the $1 million will be transferred from the Emergency Services Main Fire Hall.

Airdrie City View

Express commuter serivce to be discontinued

First Student Canada to axe service in fall after Airdrie launches intercity transit

Posted By Marie Pollock — Echo Reporter

Posted June 5 www.airdrieecho.com

Marie Pollock Echo Reporter

A representative from First Student Canada has confirmed that the company plans to discontinue their transit service when the city-run service starts up in the fall.

Stan Weber from First Student Canada said that he does not believe there will be enough ridership in the city to warrant two commuter services.

"It's just common sense that it has to be one or the other, it can't be both," Weber said. "If it were both, it would simply make the city service less viable, and it would mean that our service wouldn't be as good as it is today."

The current service goes around to different communities to pick up passengers before making a run into Calgary, while the intercity service will pick up passengers from a central loading zone.

Weber said that although their service is possibly more convenient because it picks up people closer to their homes, the city's service is more practical in the long run.

"As the city grows, we can't just keep adding more and more buses into the urban sprawl," he said. "Sooner or later, there would have had to have been some centralized loading. It isn't practical in the longer run to assume that there's always going to be the possibility of having a bus go through every district."

He said that he thinks the city service – which is set to start in September – will meet the needs of the community, and people should give it a chance.

"Once they see how it will work, I think they'll be all right with it," he said. "We've taken a look at it and we think it's all right and that it'll work."

more at: http://www.airdrieecho.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2653520

(notice that he doesn't mention they are negotiatiating to operate the New Airdrie service)

Here is a map of the ICE routings.

More info can be found here!

These new Buses should be here by now, one up on Calgary Transits buses....these artics will be Air conditioned!