BC Transit - Vernon Regional Transit System

• 1 month later...

Just an update if anyone's curious;

All Dennis Darts have been retired from Vernon's active roster & all Grande West Vicinity's are active. 4007 - 4016.

- 4 Dennis Darts will remain in Vernon as contingency buses. 

- The rest will be scraped, with a few being sent to other systems. Most likely as back ups until the entire order of Vicinity's have been delivered system wide. 

20170806_162950[1].jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 7:25 AM, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

How do you like them as an Operator so far?

A bit late on this, my bad. 

The Vicinity is actually a great bus. Not perfect by any means, bugs are still being worked out. That said, I enjoy driving them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have a few of the 3000 series in Kelowna and they have been falling apart.  Hoping that when we get a newer one they are more reliable.  

So far the Vicinity seems to have a pretty quiet and comfortable ride with its suspension.  Way more comfortable than the Darts.  IMO.

The six speed ZF tranny in the Vicinity buses sure leaves something to be desired though.  Never stops shifting.  When you come to a hill and have to press the accelerator, they will down shift twice (on a steeper grade) before starting to pull the hill.  I think if the shift points were set up better that would help. 

Would love to here from Iron if the newwer 4000 series are setup differently.  Our shop has been powerless to be able to get anything done about it.

• Like 1

I have heard nothing good about the original 3000 series. 

The 4000 series have 4 speed transmissions. We have one or two that shift slightly too early, but otherwise they're pretty good going up hill. 

The problems vary from bus to bus. For whatever reason, they were not set up correctly. BC Transit still hasn't updated the software to correct these problems, not even in Victoria. 

Problems include:

• Rear door speeds being too slow on a few of the buses. For example; while the doors on 4012 are matched in speed, the speeds are drastically different on 4015. 
  • Brakes being too touchy. The retarder comes on anytime you brake going over 20km/h. They're usually fine on a level service, or going up hill. But going downhill can leave you hunched over if you're not careful. But the severity of this varies from bus to bus. 4009 & 4015 are the worst in this regard. 4012 is absolutely fine, as are others. 
  • The interlock will get stuck on as you're leaving a stop. Which causes the bus to jerk. But again, this is only really on a few of them. 

Bugs are slowly being worked on, but we're nearly a year in at this point. Everything listed above is a software issue. 

Kelowna by the way, is getting a new 35 foot Vicinity fairly soon. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Sounds like you're getting two more Vicinitys. I'm assuming 4058 and another one. 

4058 & 4059. 4058 will be here tomorrow (March 7th 2018), but I'm not sure about 4059 out of Penticton.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

How are the Vicinity's holding up so far in Vernon? Any breakdowns? 

Great. No breakdowns. All we've had is minor stuff which are easily fixed.  

Grande West showed up a few weeks back and made many adjustments and additions. Most of the minor annoyances we had are gone. 

• Like 1