BC Transit - Vernon Regional Transit System

We only had 9237 temporarily as an extra spare, this happens from time to time when one of our regular Nova's are out of service for a longer duration. We had 9346 for a few weeks back in October and recently again which has since gone back to Kelowna.

As for 9908 ...

unnamedjj.jpg

Also, starting next month (May) we will have increased Sunday service from 8am-ish until 7pm-ish (not sure the exact times, hence the "ish" ;)

• 3 months later...

Its good bye to Vernon Regional Transit for me. After 8 years of many ups and downs its off to bigger and better things. As fun as it was, there's more money to be made up north so Monday will be my last shift, ending the way I started, with a bloody Dennis Dart LOL ... oh well, it'll probably end up being 9908 seeing that I've had that one for the last 2 months on my Monday and Tuesday shifts.

Its good bye to Vernon Regional Transit for me. After 8 years of many ups and downs its off to bigger and better things. As fun as it was, there's more money to be made up north so Monday will be my last shift, ending the way I started, with a bloody Dennis Dart LOL ... oh well, it'll probably end up being 9908 seeing that I've had that one for the last 2 months on my Monday and Tuesday shifts.

Please do take door side photos of that bus for us!

Bigger and better things? Like Prevost H3-45s?

Best of luck to you!

Thanks ... looking forward to driving up there ... not looking forward to the longer and colder winters though LOL! I'm not sure all the types of buses we'll be driving but they've acquired quite a sizeable fleet up there, so I've been told they've got quite the mix of Prevost, MCI and Setra's.

Please do take door side photos of that bus for us!

Will do. Got a split shift tomorrow with the Nova in the AM and the Dart in the PM ... as long as 08 isn't staying in, it'll be assigned to my usual Monday run.

Wish you all the best!

• 5 months later...

In the 34 years Vernon Regional has been operating I believe that is the only second time we had a "Snow Day" there. Missing parts of a route due to the incline is normal every year but an almost complete shut down is quite a surprise.

And to think, up here in Northern Alberta we have just a few inches of snow total on the ground LOL! I was home last week and we had a bit of dumping, but the photos I had sent to me from our house made me glad I don't have to shovel LOL!

• 1 month later...

Vernon city councillor wants to increase number of buses and trips on Vernon to UBCO route.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1852804/vernon-city-councillor-concerned-about-overcrowded-ubc-okanagan-bus/

Should the Regional District of North Okanagan look at increasing service levels? I think they should increase the service levels because route seems to justify more trips and maybe even Saturday service could be introduced on the route.

Vernon city councillor wants to increase number of buses and trips on Vernon to UBCO route.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1852804/vernon-city-councillor-concerned-about-overcrowded-ubc-okanagan-bus/

Should the Regional District of North Okanagan look at increasing service levels? I think they should increase the service levels because route seems to justify more trips and maybe even Saturday service could be introduced on the route.

Nothing new, happens twice a year when school is in session and all the UBCO kiddies are appalled that they have to stand in a bus. There are only 4 trips out of 10 a day that are standing room only and only 1 of them is "overcrowded" which is the 700am departure out of Vernon and sometimes the 400pm departure from UBCO, but that one isn't nearly as busy as it used to be. Even if you added another bus that left Vernon say 10-15 minutes earlier or later, the 700am would still be overcrowded because everyone just has to be on that one.

As for Saturday service, the service is designed to assist students and workers to get to and from their classes and jobs - 95% of the ridership originates in the North Okanagan, mostly students, some workers and many shoppers. If they put on a Saturday run, the majority of riders would be shoppers from Vernon going to Kelowna with very few going to Vernon from Kelowna ... I'll guarantee you that NORD or the City of Vernon would have a lot of explaining to do to the Downtown Vernon Business Association and other business lobbies why NORD and the City of Vernon are funding a bus to take much needed consumer dollars out of town.

Nothing new, happens twice a year when school is in session and all the UBCO kiddies are appalled that they have to stand in a bus. There are only 4 trips out of 10 a day that are standing room only and only 1 of them is "overcrowded" which is the 700am departure out of Vernon and sometimes the 400pm departure from UBCO, but that one isn't nearly as busy as it used to be. Even if you added another bus that left Vernon say 10-15 minutes earlier or later, the 700am would still be overcrowded because everyone just has to be on that one.

As for Saturday service, the service is designed to assist students and workers to get to and from their classes and jobs - 95% of the ridership originates in the North Okanagan, mostly students, some workers and many shoppers. If they put on a Saturday run, the majority of riders would be shoppers from Vernon going to Kelowna with very few going to Vernon from Kelowna ... I'll guarantee you that NORD or the City of Vernon would have a lot of explaining to do to the Downtown Vernon Business Association and other business lobbies why NORD and the City of Vernon are funding a bus to take much needed consumer dollars out of town.

So, look at Fraser Valley Express route it well be similar to route 90 and their will be Saturday service on the Fraser Valley Express. I think the city of Vernon should take look at Fraser Valley Express too see if route 90 we'll be same to route #55. I feel that both cities would benefit from increasing this route frequency and Saturdays.

So, look at Fraser Valley Express route it well be similar to route 90 and their will be Saturday service on the Fraser Valley Express. I think the city of Vernon should take look at Fraser Valley Express too see if route 90 we'll be same to route #55. I feel that both cities would benefit from increasing this route frequency and Saturdays.

Vernon would not benefit period ... there simply is very little demand and interest for people in Kelowna to spend their shopping dollars in Vernon other than the odd day out for a change in scenery. The Village Green Mall is outdated and empty of shoppers, downtown has a few nice little niche shops and the big box stores are no different then those in Kelowna other than the fact that in town bus service to them is also limited and rider unfriendly. Kelowna on the other hand, has a thriving mall as well as many more specialty shops along the way and downtown then Vernon has, plus the in town bus service is more friendly with its frequencies.

I get what you are saying, and I know a lot of places have inter-city services that work very well, but the demographics and politics in the NORD aren't the same.

I've been doing that run for 6 years almost everyday, and I've sat in the Council meetings - about 80% of the riders are students who only use it to get to and from class. 5% are workers from Vernon to Kelowna. 10% are shoppers from Vernon to Kelowna. 4% are workers from Kelowna to Vernon and 1% are shoppers from Kelowna or visiting friends in Vernon. When classes are not in session, the ridership plummets to being completely empty on some runs to maybe a dozen people going to and from work or going from Vernon to Kelowna to do shopping or people from Kelowna going to Oyama or Vernon to the beach and some seasonal fruit pickers in Oyama who usually go to Kelowna as opposed to Vernon. When classes are not in session, we only have 4 trips a day and they are not even close to being full.

Saturday service would not see long term loads, they would trickle down to empty buses that the taxpayers have to fund to promote people spending their money out of town.

When the run first started in 2008, we had 4 roundtrips a day ... crowded buses were a concern from the first week which goes away when classes are not in session only to make the papers again come September. Although it was a very difficult battle to persuade NORD to double the runs up to 8 per day, we succeeded. However, crowded buses were still a "news story" once classes were in session again. So we tried to get 10 runs a day, which we succeeded however only at the expense of going down to 4 runs during the summer months and Christmas break.

Sorry, but the City Of Vernon needs to focus more energy and effort into updating the abysmal in-town service before they consider spending money to get people out of town.

Vernon would not benefit period ... there simply is very little demand and interest for people in Kelowna to spend their shopping dollars in Vernon other than the odd day out for a change in scenery. The Village Green Mall is outdated and empty of shoppers, downtown has a few nice little niche shops and the big box stores are no different then those in Kelowna other than the fact that in town bus service to them is also limited and rider unfriendly. Kelowna on the other hand, has a thriving mall as well as many more specialty shops along the way and downtown then Vernon has, plus the in town bus service is more friendly with its frequencies.

I get what you are saying, and I know a lot of places have inter-city services that work very well, but the demographics and politics in the NORD aren't the same.

I've been doing that run for 6 years almost everyday, about 80% of the riders are students who only use it to get to and from class. 5% are workers from Vernon to Kelowna. 10% are shoppers from Vernon to Kelowna. 4% are workers from Kelowna to Vernon and 1% are shoppers from Kelowna or visiting friends in Vernon. When classes are not in session, the ridership plummets to being completely empty on some runs to maybe a dozen people going to and from work or going from Vernon to Kelowna to do shopping or people from Kelowna going to Oyama or Vernon to the beach and some seasonal fruit pickers in Oyama who usually go to Kelowna as opposed to Vernon. When classes are not in session, we only have 4 trips a day and they are not even close to being full.

Saturday service would not see long term loads, they would trickle down to empty buses that the taxpayers have to fund to promote people spending their money out of town.

When the run first started in 2008, we had 4 roundtrips a day ... crowded buses were a concern from the first week which goes away when classes are not in session only to make the papers again come September. Although it was a very difficult battle to persuade NORD to double the runs up to 8 per day, we succeeded. However, crowded buses were still a "news story" once classes were in session again. So we tried to get 10 runs a day, which we succeeded however only at the expense of going down to 4 runs during the summer months and Christmas break.

They could market the service to increase ridership and have public comment on where the route should go. This will require the Unions and politicians not to get in the way of route extension to Downtown Kelwona. The route will be pick up on the trip back to Vernon and drop off in Kelwona at major stops in Downtown Kelwona.

They could market the service to increase ridership and have public comment on where the route should go. This will require the Unions and politicians not to get in the way of route extension to Downtown Kelwona. The route will be pick up on the trip back to Vernon and drop off in Kelwona at major stops in Downtown Kelwona.

People in the Okanagan don't ride the bus. And taxpayers here don't want to pay for busing here. The majority of the riders are students and BCPass holders, service is limited and the routes served turn a 10 minute trip by car into a 45 minute adventure by bus, involving at least one transfer and if the bus is late, your adventure just added another 30mins to it. This is where the focus needs to be.

Personally, I'd love to see valley wide service with Vernon, Kelowna and Penticton throwing in buses and drivers. And I've mentioned this before, you could have the buses stop off in Downtown Vernon, Oyama, Winfield, UBCO, Queensway, Westbank, Peachland, Summerland and downtown Penticton. But it won't happen and the simple although very unfortunate reason is that Penticton has no Union, Kelowna is the ATU and Vernon is the CAW ... and Union's and some of their members, don't like to play with each other. If you can overcome that hurdle, convincing the various City and Regional Councils would be a breeze in comparison.

Its just like the commuter train between Vernon and Kelowna ... it simply will not happen, at least not until the population in the Valley explodes and the tax dollar base and ridership level will sustain such as service. The same goes with inter city buses in the OK ... until the population, tax dollar base and ridership levels on in town services increase dramatically, inter city service in the OK will not be able to sustain itself at such levels.

It has nothing to do with promoting anything, there simply are not enough people willing to hand up their car keys to go to Kelowna and not nearly enough people wanting to go to Vernon, let alone take the bus there to justify such a service. As for people commenting and being asked about increased service, they have been asked and only a handful of people expressed interest in it, and out of my experience, even those people who ask for it rarely use the service.

Heck, I've even gone as far as suggesting a park and ride downtown with a $10 fare that pays your parking for the day and roundtrip to Kelowna ... it simply will not happen.

People in the Okanagan don't ride the bus. And taxpayers here don't want to pay for busing here. The majority of the riders are students and BCPass holders, service is limited and the routes served turn a 10 minute trip by car into a 45 minute adventure by bus, involving at least one transfer and if the bus is late, your adventure just added another 30mins to it. This is where the focus needs to be.

Personally, I'd love to see valley wide service with Vernon, Kelowna and Penticton throwing in buses and drivers. And I've mentioned this before, you could have the buses stop off in Downtown Vernon, Oyama, Winfield, UBCO, Queensway, Westbank, Peachland, Summerland and downtown Penticton. But it won't happen and the simple although very unfortunate reason is that Penticton has no Union, Kelowna is the ATU and Vernon is the CAW ... and Union's and some of their members, don't like to play with each other. If you can overcome that hurdle, convincing the various City and Regional Councils would be a breeze in comparison.

Its just like the commuter train between Vernon and Kelowna ... it simply will not happen, at least not until the population in the Valley explodes and the tax dollar base and ridership level will sustain such as service. The same goes with inter city buses in the OK ... until the population, tax dollar base and ridership levels on in town services increase dramatically, inter city service in the OK will not be able to sustain itself at such levels.

It has nothing to do with promoting anything, there simply are not enough people willing to hand up their car keys to go to Kelowna and not nearly enough people wanting to go to Vernon, let alone take the bus there to justify such a service. As for people commenting and being asked about increased service, they have been asked and only a handful of people expressed interest in it, and out of my experience, even those people who ask for it rarely use the service.

Heck, I've even gone as far as suggesting a park and ride downtown with a $10 fare that pays your parking for the day and roundtrip to Kelowna ... it simply will not happen.

A. It needs to be a lest 10% longer than driving which may require bus lanes in Vernon and Kelowna to make the buses a lot quicker.

B. If BC Transit force the unions to get a long then unions say will not be in play. If the public supports expanding the route the unions should not have say if that is the case. Their will be a least two different unions servicing Carvolth Exchange and the unions are not fighting to stop the route. West Vancouver Blue Bis drivers are under ATU where CMBC drivers are under Unifor and they do not mind West Vancouver Blue Bus still can pick up and drop off passenger in Downtown Vancouver without a problem. So my point union sometimes do not care about another servicing a little better of same area.

C.If services are they people could could see the bus as an alternative to driving.

D. It needs to be cheaper than driving if the parking is free or $2.00 people could decide to take the bus instead of driving.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The unthinkable has happened, or rather, will happened. C-619 is being replaced in August. From what I've heard, this is official. In the mean time, a Nova (9320) is being used for the Armstrong/Enderby run.

The unthinkable has happened, or rather, will happened. C-619 is being replaced in August. From what I've heard, this is official. In the mean time, a Nova (9320) is being used for the Armstrong/Enderby run.

Do you know what C-619 is being replaced with?

Do you know what C-619 is being replaced with?

I've heard it's going to be another International. Whether they're sending us another POS or sending us something new, I have no idea.

But the repairs needed on C-619 were simply to costly this time. I think they've finally thrown enough money at it.

It'll be interesting to see if another cutaway gets put in place, especially with stairs as the accessibility issue has been a concern for years on that run.

A Nova would make the most sense, it would be easier to reallocate them between the 60 and 90 runs however I'm not sure what the requirement is for spare buses in relation to assigned buses so if Vernon gets a 4th Nova, they may have to have a 5th as a spare. Like I said though, I'm not sure what the requirement is on how many spares a property has to have.

A Vicinity would be another option and the Municipalities/Cities and NORD will love that as then the drivers can be paid a lesser hourly wage because of "fewer seats" on the bus. Which would be a real shame because it took us years of fighting to get that run up to conventional wage.