BC Transit - Ex-CMBC GM/MCI Classics

The last GM Classics in service are 8907 - Nanaimo, and 8910 - Kamloops. All others retired.

The last MCI Classic in service is 8914 - Nanaimo. All others retired.

Looks like I now know what my first stop will be on my upcoming road trip. I was kind of hoping to take the Crowsnest... Maybe I'll do it anyway, via Penticton, and O/N in Kamloops before continuing.

Has anybody been to Whistler recently? The T-Drive Novas are most likely headed to Victoria, and perhaps other communities such as Penticton, Abbottsford, Nanaimo, e.t.c - what will replace them? Whistler may even get some of the Translink Classics back, or the ex. Victoria ones?

Has anybody been to Whistler recently? The T-Drive Novas are most likely headed to Victoria, and perhaps other communities such as Penticton, Abbottsford, Nanaimo, e.t.c - what will replace them? Whistler may even get some of the Translink Classics back, or the ex. Victoria ones?

All those T-Drives were extras in Whistler for the Olympics, with the 08 Novas and the H40LFR's Whistler is more than covered for buses.

Chris Cassidy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are still many classics unaccounted for, either as scrap, resold or otherwise still operating in BC...

8901/8902 - Missing

8903 - Storage (Duncan)

8904 - Storage (Duncan)

8905 - Missing

8906 - Kelowna

8907/8908 Missing

8909 - Powell River?

8910 - Kamloops

8911 - Auctioned in April. Location now?

8912 - Campbell River

8913 - Abbottsford/Mission

8914 - Missing

8917-8919 - Missing

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question: When the Translink Classics were retired and sold off to BC Transit, were the Translink fleet numbers (1): Painted Over, (2): Covered Over, or (3) Peeled off?

If I'm lucky, I may purchase one of these buses as I plan to become a member of the TRAMS society of Vancouver in a few years time.

• 2 weeks later...
**NEWSFLASH!!!** 8911 lives! As it appears, this bus is still used in Victoria as a training bus, but with a different company. As it pulled away, I noticed a "Student Driver" sticker on the back.

Is that the one that got auctioned off?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
8907 and 8914 were definitely still in Nanaimo as of last month, but they looked like they were being saved as last-resort spares. I covered the PM rush in Nanaimo for two consecutive days, and for both those peak periods both Classics remained parked, and only one of the two Orion Vs was out.

I know there are a handful of Classics still in Cowichan Valley - whether active or not, I can't know, I went by the garage at about 7 pm when a lot of buses were coming back at the end of their runs, and all I saw was the outline of maybe two or three Classics parked behind a mass of LFS suburbans. The parts bus (N4152) is still there, parked off to the side on its own. I would venture that 8915 is still there as well. This is the one that was involved in a head-on collision and written off as a result.

As for the rest of them... it's anybody's guess. Quite a few of them were brought back to Victoria from various assignments last August (8905, 8909 and 8911 come to mind) and since 8911 is the only one still known to be in Victoria, that must mean the others have already been redeployed. So they've got to be out there somewhere.

8915 wasn't involved in a head-on.....the driver hit some black ice and it ended up on its side in the ditch outside of Cowichan Lake. It was written off and has now been scrapped. N4152 was scrapped for parts and is now gone. We still have a number of MCI's in our yard and 922 is currently part of our Victoria Commuter fleet until we get a replacement for 9292. We have a few of these MCI's (938, 933, etc.) sitting in our yard and we were told several months ago that they were sold to Regina Transit, but are still sitting in our yard. We are also still getting a lot of the old Whistler Darts (after going through a vigorous refurbish). Such numbers as 0002, 0007, 9088, etc. We had some of the other MCI's (8901, 8903, 8905, 8907, 8909, 8911, 8912, 8913, 8914, 8915) quite some time ago as part of our spare fleet, but have been gone somewhere else some time ago.

8915 wasn't involved in a head-on.....the driver hit some black ice and it ended up on its side in the ditch outside of Cowichan Lake. It was written off and has now been scrapped.

It would seem that somebody has updated the wiki with your information on 8915.

We still have a number of MCI's in our yard and 922 is currently part of our Victoria Commuter fleet until we get a replacement for 9292.

Do you mean to say that 9292 is NOT being repaired and is to be scrapped instead?

We had some of the other MCI's (8901, 8903, 8905, 8907, 8909, 8911, 8912, 8913, 8914, 8915) quite some time ago as part of our spare fleet, but have been gone somewhere else some time ago.

Some have apparently been moved to a little place known as BERKS Intertruck in Duncan, not far from Duncan Transit Centre if I'm correct. (8903, 8904, and many other ex. Victoria MCIs)

Some have apparently been moved to a little place known as BERKS Intertruck in Duncan, not far from Duncan Transit Centre if I'm correct. (8903, 8904, and many other ex. Victoria MCIs)

A little known place? There's been how many reports about the contents at Berks by Geore and myself? :P

The yard is right behind the lot where Duncan stores buses, the only thing separating them is a 8 foot chain link fence :P

Chris Cassidy

A little known place? There's been how many reports about the contents at Berks by Geore and myself? :P

The yard is right behind the lot where Duncan stores buses, the only thing separating them is a 8 foot chain link fence :P

Chris Cassidy

I said: "A little place known as Berks Intertruck". Not: "A little known place, known as Berks..."

Anyhow, if you and George should be heading up to Duncan for any further reports, let me know and I'll come with you. After all, I do want to see if I can find any ex. CMBC GMs and MCIs that have escape the cutters' torch.